HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2011, 04:47 PM
Joined Jul 2011
12 Posts
Discussion
Magnetic compass servo control

Hi all

I was given the suggestion to post this here instead of where I did originally.

I have built what we call a kontiki here in New Zealand and I am looking for a bit of gear to autopilot it with a servo controlled rudder that is controlled in turn by a magnetic compass.

In other words I want to power the thing on with it pointed in the direction I want it to head and then the servo to control the rudder to maintain the magnetic compass bearing it was pointed in.

It is not entirely a submerged vessel as it skims the surface of the water so wind isn't really a factor but swells and white water may throw it off.

Have a google at tuckertiki.co.nz for more info. That is exactly what I want to achieve.

Not wanting to reinvent the wheel could someone point me in the direction of an arduino or similar project that will achieve what I want to do.
I can build the rudder/servo arrangement but wanted to get an off the shelf board and chip for the control.

I believe I can get a honeywell magnetic compass that outputs the bearing as an integer so 2165 would be 216.5 degrees. So I believe I need some gear to take that integer and convert it to a pwm control signal to send to the servo which controls the rudder.

Thanks
Steve
No1Daemon is offline Find More Posts by No1Daemon
Last edited by No1Daemon; Jul 10, 2011 at 08:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2011, 08:53 PM
Agressive driver
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2011
1,201 Posts
Hey, Kontikis are neat. I used to live in NZ. And I would say your best bet would be to post this on an electronics/ computer forum. I think how it would work is you have some kind of interface to plug the compass into a small cuircut board (peeps on electronics forum could help with that) and then convert the readout of the compass into a RX like signal for the servo.
zanek is offline Find More Posts by zanek
Old Jul 10, 2011, 09:41 PM
Joined Jul 2011
12 Posts
I will do that. I thought you guys would have it all sorted already. Most of the people on here seem to have been there already.
Thanks for the suggestion.
No1Daemon is offline Find More Posts by No1Daemon