HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2011, 04:42 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
They are taking care of their companies. Far better than government is taking care of the nation.
In the short run maybe. Some are gonna bite the Big One doing what they're doing.
dll932 is online now Find More Posts by dll932
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:32 AM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,251 Posts
as Gingrich mentions..this ain't going away anytime soon.If the WH press secretary thinks unemployment figures won't affect the re-election of Obama..

I wonder..'how did this guy get his White House position.?'

'This is the Obama Depression'

http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/201...epression.html
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:36 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,929 Posts
When the government serves the nation it works.....when it services the people, it gets old fast.

Early on a Saturday morning on the farm the farmer tells his family, "Well I will not be here today, I going to get the cow serviced." That was enough said.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:13 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dLdV View Post
6 months ago employers knew they had a stable tax rate for two more years. Why didn't they make hay while the sun shines. Its not as if they're afraid to hand out the pink slips if the rate goes up again later.

Wasn't that the big argument, how hiring could not take place if the tax rate went up? It didn't go up, so where are the jobs? There was supposed to be jobs! We got snookered.
The bush tax cuts have very little to do with big business. If you look at private job creation they have been the only growth we have seen. Some of that is in part to the renewal of the tax cuts.
RumRunner_1492 is online now Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Old Jul 10, 2011, 03:16 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Speaking of Buck Rodgers, this is not rocket science.

For what the government spends on average to employ one person the private sector can employ on average three.
Straight across, every government job causes a net loss of two jobs. This is only the direct impact and does not count cascading economic impact that the loss of those two jobs causes and other jobs losses that result.
Another factor is that many government employees are actually there for the purpose of hindering businesses with burdensome and sometimes quite onerous regulations that can limit the desire to hire. The pending sledge hammer of the Obamacare bill being one example, so in many ways a government job and be a powerful anti job force in action.
Real Ira is online now Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Jul 10, 2011, 03:35 PM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
stop asking why Big Buisness isn't hiring ... they count for a minority of people employed. Ask why small buisnesses aren't hiring.
logan5 is online now Find More Posts by logan5
Old Jul 10, 2011, 03:56 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Ira View Post
For what the government spends on average to employ one person the private sector can employ on average three.
Interesting (yet totally undocumented) analogy. On the other hand, I can point to numerous studies which show it is less expensive to insource same-type functions with civil service employees rather than contract them out to private resources.

Here is one such study
Quote:
Straight across, every government job causes a net loss of two jobs. This is only the direct impact and does not count cascading economic impact that the loss of those two jobs causes and other jobs losses that result.
Of course you have valid data to back up your claim?
Quote:
Another factor is that many government employees are actually there for the purpose of hindering businesses with burdensome and sometimes quite onerous regulations that can limit the desire to hire.
Tell that to the widows of the 25 West Virginia miners who died due to the owner of the Upper Big Branch coal mine repeatedly ignoring safety regulations.
Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor
Old Jul 10, 2011, 05:54 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
Just from reading the local newspaper over the last ten years or so, I get the impression that efforts by the State of Texas to privatize government functions have cost billions and have generally failed. Anyone have any figures on how many government contractor jobs there are compared to how many government employees there are? Should mention that I am no longer a Registered Department of Defense Contractor, so I am no longer a drain on us taxpayers in that capacity.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Jul 10, 2011, 06:22 PM
Happy Trees
Colorady
Joined Mar 2005
1,332 Posts
lol
anyone else actually check out the 'study'?
Its as old as I am, just for starters!
m4rs is offline Find More Posts by m4rs
Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:24 PM
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rs View Post
lol
If it proves the liberal point of view, it makes no difference HOW old it is. Everything is legitimate.
mikefast is online now Find More Posts by mikefast
Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:40 PM
Happy Trees
Colorady
Joined Mar 2005
1,332 Posts
Well, I don't believe that is a liberal point of view, its something else.
Liberals wouldn't promote government control, or believe our government operates with efficiency and without waste.
What we have is indentured servants to the government.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:49 PM
Happy Trees
Colorady
Joined Mar 2005
1,332 Posts
In 1970, when the 'study' was done (damn thats funny), if you worked for the gov it was assumed you were a righty, flat top havin, conservative, who wanted more government control to stop the crazy hippy lberals. Now, its seems you would be a lefty, supporting more government control....
In 1970(again LOL), if you opposed the gov, and fought for personal freedoms, you would be a liberal.
Funny how things have change.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 08:30 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rs View Post
lol
FYI, civil servants prior to 1984 had an even more generous pension plan than they do now. They did not contribute to Social Security since CSRS (Civil Service Retirement System) which would pay almost up to 80% of your "high 3" pay if you worked 40 years.

Current civil servants are covered by FERS (Federal Employees Retirement System) which has a much lower payout since they also contribute to Social Security.

If anything, the study is MORE valid today with our less-expensive civil servant workforce.
Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor
Old Jul 10, 2011, 08:44 PM
Happy Trees
Colorady
Joined Mar 2005
1,332 Posts
So then where has all the money gone?
We are spending far more then we take in, and even with a tax increase we are still upside down. Would government waste have a part to do with it? that and a whole list of other wasteful 'good intentions' that have back fired?
Old Jul 10, 2011, 09:25 PM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
stop asking why Big Buisness isn't hiring ... they count for a minority of people employed. Ask why small buisnesses aren't hiring.
Don't have to ask. It's been repeated by small business owners here over and over.
Indiana_Geoff is online now Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff