Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 09, 2011, 06:11 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2009
745 Posts
Discussion
Looking for a color scheme Nieuport 17

Hello all,

I am currently scratchbuilding a Nieuport 17 based on Plans I found at Wattflyer. I would like however to build and decorate this model as it was used by the early Swiss Air Force. I am however not certain of the colors. The Swiss crosses are easy however the nose of the plane is a mystery. specially in the area directly ahead of the cockpit. Was this area natural aluminium or was this area painted or natural wood color? I am guessing the model was white in overall color with the usual Swiss crosses on tail. Does anyone have a source (I googled this various ways but did not find anything concrete) that they would share with me?

Many thanks, Jens
kleinaberfein is offline Find More Posts by kleinaberfein
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2011, 09:18 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,226 Posts
This may sound crazy, but have you tried contacting the public relations office of the Swiss Air Force? Most Air Forces have a historic branch that keeps track of such things, and quite often if you ask, they will send some poor Second Lieutenant waiting for training to find what you need. http://www.lw.admin.ch/internet/luftwaffe/de/home.html
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Jul 09, 2011, 10:11 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2009
745 Posts
You know I never even thought to go that route and Switersland is only 6 hours by car from here ... thanks for the idea!! I will try writing them and see if the "Eidgenossen" can help a bit.

Jens
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:56 AM
United States, NJ, Manchester Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,058 Posts
Here you go....make sure that you have the taper in the fuselage. It was the unique part of the design. The top of the fuse is wider than the bottom. You can easily find 3 views showing this.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2729686/rof/...reen_small.png
Dorme is offline Find More Posts by Dorme
Old Jul 09, 2011, 08:47 PM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,389 Posts
Haven't got a Swiss N 17 to hand but here is a N 28 (in Lucerne). Would the 17 have had a similar scheme?
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Jul 10, 2011, 04:07 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2009
745 Posts
Hi Dorme,

Thanks I found that picture as well but since it is a CG rendering I am wondering on what they based the color scheme on. The plans I have reflect the trapezoid fuselage form accurately so I have it in my model as well (kind of a PITA to build but it worked). My build is very small (about the size of the Guillows version at 24 inch WS).

Hi Kiwi,

Interesting photo, in looking at various black and white pictures from way back then one gets the impression that this scheme may have been applied to earlier aircraft as well. The seach goes on, perhaps the Swiss will answer the question themselves.

Thank you everyone, Jens