HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2011, 01:11 AM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Discussion
Thoughts please...E-Flite 3D Eratix or H9 Showtime 50 or PA's AddictionX

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to get my first 3D plane and looking for some suggestions, thoughts, experience with some models. I know you guys have experience with all of them so looking to pick-your-brains on this decision. I know it's all the pilot and preference but let me know your thoughts please!

Options:
  1. Save up more money for the AddyX - which is very do-able and practical for my budget
  2. Buy a used H9 Showtime 50 in great shape - RTF with solid gear in it
  3. Buy a used E-Flite 3D Eratix in great condition - RTF with solid gear in it

FYI - I can almost get ($40 more) both the Showtime and the Eratix for the price of a RTF AddictionX from the PA website's list of suggested retail price.

What do you guys think?

This will be my first real 3D plane but I do have ~100 hours logged on Phx RC Simulator and ready for an intermediate plane I feel.

Thanks in advance for the words of wisdom.

t.Bone
tbonebrown is offline Find More Posts by tbonebrown
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2011, 01:25 AM
Joined Jan 2005
549 Posts
I would recommend the Eratix as a great beginner to intermediate 3D plane. I've got about 200 hours of flight time on mine and although I have better flying 3D planes I still enjoy it. It is easy to hover/torque roll, flat spin, knife edge and knife edge spin. Upright harriers aren't that good, inverted harriers are okay.

I owned a Showtime 90, it was okay, not great. Showtimes are overweight, not a great 3D trainer.

The Addiction is a nice plane. I owned the smaller Addiction, which I like except for the transparent covering. Fellow club members love their small Addictions, which they fly like foamies. The larger Addiction is probably similar to the Eratix, except lighter. Better harriers with the Addiction.

After you learn the basics of 3D with the Eratix, I would recommend a 3dhobbyshop Slick. If you feel your simulator experience means you can skip a 3D trainer then I would suggest you go straight to a Slick.
malcolmm is online now Find More Posts by malcolmm
Old Jul 09, 2011, 01:46 AM
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Funny you say that Malcomm as I was just looking at their website at their huck a buck and that Slick.

Do you think $350 for a used Eratix is a good deal? that comes RTF with batteries and all. Just not sure how many hours are on the motor and how well the power system has been maintained. That's the only scary thing about it.

Also, if you have Phx RC Sim...what plane on there flies like the Slick or the Eratix, do you feel?

Thanks again, I appreciate it!
Old Jul 09, 2011, 01:51 AM
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
I can get that 40" Slick for under $300 pretty much all setup. My "deal" for the Eratix seems high......sheesh....Maybe you're suggesting the 59" Slick...or either one? Don't really feel I need the trainer to be honest, as long as I keep my cool at the field!
Old Jul 09, 2011, 02:42 AM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
Of the 3, I would strongly recommend AGAINST the showtime 50.
If you wan to fly pattern or just tool around the sky, then the showtime is fine.
Its just very snap happy. My showtime 50 was the last plane I crashed. That was in the summer of 09. Pulled to hard on the elevator and a snap to ground ensued.

The eratix is a fun plane and if you can get it ready to fly for a good price, go for it.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Jul 09, 2011, 07:24 AM
*It Ain't Lookin Good*
Evansville IN
Joined Aug 2004
1,144 Posts
tbonebrown,

I have both the Eratix 3D and the Addiction X. Both of these planes are great flyers. They are both about the same physical size but the Addiction X weighs about a pound less. The Eratix handles the wind better because of its weight but doesn't 3D as well because of the thick air foil. I am not a great 3D flyer but the Addiction X just seems to be able to 3D at a much slower pace. If transportation is an issue the Eratix has more room in the fuse to get to the wing bolts. I keep the Addiction together and never take the wings off because the wing bolts are just to hard to get to. I'd have to say for all around sport, IMac, 3D flying it would be the Eratix 3D and for hard core 3D the Addiction X.
olezippi is offline Find More Posts by olezippi
Old Jul 09, 2011, 10:36 AM
Watch it...Watch it ...Duck!
San Dimas, CA
Joined Nov 2009
190 Posts
Most guys will tell you to start 3D with EPP foam so you wont need to wory so much about flying low. A very valid point especially since the cash out lay would be considerably less.
As far as balsa goes, you would love the Addy X. I am amazed how slow mine will fly with no wing rock. Easiest plane to land that I've ever flown, including foamies. Lots of fun to fly in the wind. I recently crashed 2 planes (one was a 3DHS 42" Slick) by trying to fly them the way I fly my Addy X. The plane makes me feel like a better pilot than I actually am.
You're gonna love 3D whether you fly wild, or mild. I prefer mild, slow and low, something I believe the Addy X does better than any other plane. Look eleswhere if you want speed.
full flaps is offline Find More Posts by full flaps
Old Jul 09, 2011, 10:39 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
United States, OH, Bristolville
Joined Oct 2010
4,708 Posts
If it is your fist 3d plane I would have to recommend the 47'' extra 300 SHP from 3dhobbyshop.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:15 AM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by full flaps View Post
Most guys will tell you to start 3D with EPP foam so you wont need to wory so much about flying low. A very valid point especially since the cash out lay would be considerably less.
As far as balsa goes, you would love the Addy X. I am amazed how slow mine will fly with no wing rock. Easiest plane to land that I've ever flown, including foamies. Lots of fun to fly in the wind. I recently crashed 2 planes (one was a 3DHS 42" Slick) by trying to fly them the way I fly my Addy X. The plane makes me feel like a better pilot than I actually am.
You're gonna love 3D whether you fly wild, or mild. I prefer mild, slow and low, something I believe the Addy X does better than any other plane. Look eleswhere if you want speed.
EPP is great! I would reccomend the 41" Edge (99 buck huck ) from 3dhobbyshop.com or the EPP Extra 330 from them, or possibly if you are willing to wait a bit... The EPP Slick! I got to fly one at FLI, and they are big, fast, tough, and so easy to 3d!
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:34 AM
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Anyone have an idea on price for the used Eratix? Is $375 or maybe $350 average for used selling price? It's in good condition and ready to fly, batteries and all.

I will either get the AddyX or a 3DHS bird if I don't get a smokin deal on this Eratix. I just love the build quality of the AddictionX to be honest, just looks quality.

I'll let ya guys know what I end up with but please ring in on the price. I need to call this guy back and possibly get it if the price is right.

Thanks again folks, much appreciated!!
Old Jul 09, 2011, 12:29 PM
Watch it...Watch it ...Duck!
San Dimas, CA
Joined Nov 2009
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonebrown View Post
Anyone have an idea on price for the used Eratix? [SIZE="4"][SIZE="3"][B] Is $375 or maybe $350 average for used selling price?
It would depend on the quality of the electronics. Are you talking name brand or Hobby King specials? Four quality metal gear servos can easily run over $100. Is a receiver included? Are the batts 4 cell? I thought 4 cells were recommended for the Eratix but I'm not sure. Sounds like a fair price if you're getting quality electronics.
full flaps is offline Find More Posts by full flaps
Old Jul 09, 2011, 01:05 PM
Joined May 2010
2,638 Posts
if this is your first 3d plane, i'd highly recommend going with a foamy. That would have saved me a lot of time and money. Save the balsa for later or if you do get it, just sport fly it as Doc recommended.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Jul 09, 2011, 01:22 PM
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Ok, I may just get it and fly it sport style for a bit until I get more comfortable with it. I may just get a foamy as well to start practicing on that as the sim may be different than real life.

All the gear is name brand stuff:

Power 32 motor
Scorpion Commander 60 ESC
Metal Gear servos
2 Thunder Power LiPo 3300mAh batteries
Spektrum AR6200 receiver

Sounds like a good deal then.

I'll let ya guys know what I end up with.

Thanks!

t.Bone
Old Jul 09, 2011, 01:25 PM
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
I'll throw in one of my Spektrum AR8000s I got with my DX8 though. Swap it out with one of my other planes.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 03:17 PM
Joined Nov 2005
10 Posts
I will say a big -1 for the showtime as well, the 90 size was good but the 50 size is a turd.
rcflip is offline Find More Posts by rcflip