HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2011, 03:15 AM
There's A Hack For That.
United States, CA, Del Mar
Joined Oct 2008
418 Posts
Oh wow! That's in great shape. That should really be in a museum.
beladog is offline Find More Posts by beladog
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:15 AM
Citizen of the Universe
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2004
352 Posts
Call or contact Jay Wisler, here is a link to his website. I know he has one drone.
Denny

http://www.warbird-parts.com/
tenacious101010 is offline Find More Posts by tenacious101010
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:20 AM
Heathkit DX-100 son of Bullet
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
1,923 Posts
It would be nice if someone could generate a set of drawings. We could build up clones at various scale . I would be willing to pay for drawings. I would love to buy this one . If it is sold, eBay is the place. I am betting $1k would be a low ball figure. Could easily fetch better than twice that.
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Old Jul 11, 2011, 06:10 AM
In NY's beautifull hills
Binghamton Broome Cty, New York, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,126 Posts
Very nice ! Looks amazingly similar to Dags Emmaselle 196" vintage elec plane in the giant elec forum here in RCG
staggerwing is offline Find More Posts by staggerwing
Old Jul 11, 2011, 07:19 AM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,106 Posts
Call the Eaa, they can put you in contact with a collector.Some one want's that.
doc993 is online now Find More Posts by doc993
Old Jul 11, 2011, 07:27 AM
For the Horde!!
United States, IL, Greenview
Joined Apr 2009
98 Posts
Tiger that is an amazing piece of history there. Any chance you may be able to get some measurements, so that maybe we could draw some plans for a smaller version?
Thanks for sharing this with us.

EDIT: Found this 3 view of the drone. If anybody is looking for it.
the mad hatter is offline Find More Posts by the mad hatter
Last edited by the mad hatter; Jul 11, 2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 07:34 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,556 Posts
I see on the OQ-14/TDD-3 motor they mentioned designed by Righter/Kiekhaufer. I wonder if it's the same Kiekhaufer that built the Mercury outboard motor.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jul 11, 2011, 08:08 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,114 Posts
Their is a good side and a bad side for odd-ball and rare items like this.

Rare typically means it will be worth Allot..

Rare also means that it is Hard to put a value on it.

Unfortunately, I feel this drone is a victim of both of those, and it will only bring in as much as a buyer is willing to pay for it. And i doubt their are allot of people looking for WWII drones. Its large, bulky and will be hard to display in a conventional collectors collection.

Personally, I think it would better serve what the owner wants out of it (stay together and be cherished) if it were to go to a museum so thousands of people and multiple generations would be able to see it. These places would also be better apt to saying what it is realistically worth, and it is tax deductible as a donation.
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Jul 11, 2011, 08:21 AM
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
ebay is not the move for this item at all
recently one of these engines sold for 175$ on ebay
any decent collector of militeria would hand over large sums of money for that especialy with serial plates, an original jim walker prop (saw one on ebay last month) and a new cover job

i know of a dealer in Florida who would die for that in his auction
ZEROSKIN76 is offline Find More Posts by ZEROSKIN76
Old Jul 11, 2011, 09:07 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,481 Posts
Obiviously the guy is short on money where else would he sell it quickly ??
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Jul 11, 2011, 09:42 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,729 Posts
Rob sent you an e-mail. Check your Yahoo account. I want to come see this and have a museum that would love to have it.
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:52 AM
Outta Sight
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Jul 2008
928 Posts
There's a amazing story that goes with these planes.

Reginald Denny's previous versions, the (Radio Plane) RP1 to RP3 failed to win contracts after crashing on their demo flights in 1939.
Late in 1939 a new backer was found (Whitney Collins and Harold Powell) and together with Denny The "Radio Plane Company" was formed.
A successful demonstration to the Army of RP4 got a big contract and the RP4 became known as the 0Q-1.
The 0Q-1 evolved through to the 0Q-17 (company designated as RP18)
By this stage the US navy was also buying them for target drone practice by anti aircraft gunners during WW2, under the designation TDD (Target drone Denny) -1, -2, -3 etc. for $600 a pop.
15374 copies of the RP4 thru RP18 series were made.

Reginald Denny contacted his friend US Army Air Force Captain Ronald Reagan about filming Radio Planes' involvement in the war effort. Reagan's unit, the first motion picture company, dispatched one of its photographers (Private David Conover) to take pictures for "Yank" Magazine on 26 June 1945.
One of the girls on the assembly line caught his eye, enough for him to return later and take some more photos and distribute them to his movie studio connections.
That girl was Norma Jean Dougherty. After a bit of encouragement she left Radio Plane, started modelling, got into film and changed to her screen name Marilyn Monroe.
Marilyn Monroe was discovered on an UAV assembly line - who would have thought.
The 0Q-19 (RP-19) became the standard model and between 1946 and 1984 48,000 models were produced, later known by its Army designation, the MQM-33.
Northrop aircraft company acquired Radio Planes in 1952, and in 1953 Whit Collins became president of Northrop itself.
Radio Planes became 'The Ventura Division' of Northrop in 1962 and is still part of the present day Northrop Grumman Corp.
In 1999 Northrop Grumman acquired Teledyne Aeronautical (RadioPlanes chief competitor from the 1950s onward) bringing together the two leaders in post WW2 American unmanned aviation development.

In 1955 it modified its 0Q-19 (RP-71) Shelduck target drone to carry film cameras. Seeing service in the Army designated the AN/USD-1 Observer.
The Army bought 1445 of them, and in 1961 the British Army also bought 32 of them. It was also manufactured under license in Italy.

RadioPlane sold the design to a Belgium company who developed it into the SparrowHawk through to 1976.

Reginald Denny retired fom UAVs when the company was sold to Northrop in 1952 to continue with his love of acting, he appeared in over 30 movies, a supporting role in the 1966 version of 'Batman' was his last.
He died in England on 16 June 1967.

Quoted in part from "A Brief History of Unamanned Aviation" By Laurence Newcombe ISBN 1 84415 201 4
RolandS888 is offline Find More Posts by RolandS888
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:53 AM
Joined Dec 2002
1,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beladog View Post
Oh wow! That's in great shape. That should really be in a museum.
There appears to be one in the USAF Museum. In this interactive display thingy, go to the World War ll exhibit and click on the 3rd dot from the top, on the right. You can zoom in using the scroll wheel and notice that it looks to even have the counterrotating props, viewed end-on.
http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/full/tour-pkg.html
oldcoot88 is offline Find More Posts by oldcoot88
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:09 PM
flying since 2000
Winterthur ZH, Switzerland
Joined Mar 2009
511 Posts
Oh please please please please don't sell it on eBay or similar! If there are only 7 left out of the 15'000 made, it's really obvious that this piece of history belongs into a museum! Best thing would be If you, providing the museum pays the transport, donated this drone. Yesterday we lost another wonderful beloved vintage airplane (Big Beautiful Doll ), it just wouldn't be right if this drone gets lost somewhere or gets into the wrong hands.
sfluck is offline Find More Posts by sfluck
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:10 PM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,430 Posts
Oshkosh is coming up...I agree the EAA is your best bet...
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron