SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 08, 2011, 08:14 PM
Joined Jul 2011
6 Posts
Help!
WW2 Target Drone

Hi all, new here and I know nothing about planes. My neighbor has what he says is a WW2 Target Drone. He says he got it in the '60s. Just wondering if it has any value and a good way to get it into the hands of a collector. Its located in Southeast Connecticut. He'll be looking to get rid of it but he isn't internet savvy. Thanks for any info!

Rob

tiger8mush@yahoo.com
tiger8mush is offline Find More Posts by tiger8mush
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2011, 08:37 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,311 Posts
Very interesting. A Google search came up with this page:

http://ww2weaponsforum.com/showthrea...one-OQ-2A-1943

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioplane_OQ-2

A lot of the details on yours look like the OQ-2A. It sounds like it might be pretty rare. Heh, maybe Marilyn built that one!

bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Last edited by bjaffee; Jul 08, 2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2011, 08:58 PM
READY!
seattle, wa
Joined May 2008
623 Posts
I say he should keep it, and convert it to R/C.
shafferama is offline Find More Posts by shafferama
Old Jul 08, 2011, 08:59 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,528 Posts
Quote:
I say he should keep it, and convert it to R/C.
It was already R/C from the beginning, but I guess it could do with some modern equipment...
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jul 08, 2011, 09:06 PM
Expo/DualRates = Lack of Skill
San Diego, CA
Joined Mar 2009
790 Posts
Looks like an OQ-2B, but it's missing a prop.
typeRA is offline Find More Posts by typeRA
Old Jul 08, 2011, 09:23 PM
Joined Jul 2011
6 Posts
thanks for the replies all! Maybe Marilyn did work on it lol

Unfortunately he's got to get rid of it, as he's getting older and is moving soon and needs to part with a few things. Anyone have a ballpark figure on value ($1 or $1k?)

And what is the difference between OQ-2A and OQ-2B? He did mention another prop, not sure if he has it or not.

Thanks again!
Rob
Old Jul 08, 2011, 09:28 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,311 Posts
Maybe take it to Pawn Stars or call the American Pickers?

In all seriousness though, I'm guessing that, as rare as it is, it might take a while to actually find someone who's actually interested enough to spend a lot of money on it (and it's in pretty rough shape).
Old Jul 08, 2011, 09:43 PM
United States, NY, Angola
Joined Jul 2010
307 Posts
WOW how cool is that. It would be awsome to get it flying again. If it's rare it's probably worth quite a bit and there's always someone out there that would be interested in something like this. I mean how often does something like this come around. Probably hardly ever. BUT you have to find the right buyer. Someone who will pay for what it's worth. You could always dump it real cheap, but I wouldn't let it go for anything less then what it's worth. If anyone even knows what it's worth. Wish I could buy it. Just to get it going and to say hey look at what I have got. LOL.
Ghost Plane is offline Find More Posts by Ghost Plane
Old Jul 08, 2011, 09:58 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
And what is the difference between OQ-2A and OQ-2B?
From here (another good page): http://www.designation-systems.net/d...pp1/oq-14.html

"The OQ-2B was identical to the OQ-2A, except that the wing ribs had holes for a slightly lighter structure. " So perhaps you have a B-model there.

And yet another informative page here: http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargra...dioplane3.html

Maybe he could just donate it to a museum?
Last edited by bjaffee; Jul 08, 2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2011, 10:23 PM
READY!
seattle, wa
Joined May 2008
623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP16 View Post
It was already R/C from the beginning, but I guess it could do with some modern equipment...
Gee, ya think, smart guy?......

I would love to own this thing. Let us know when your friend comes up with an asking price.
shafferama is offline Find More Posts by shafferama
Last edited by shafferama; Jul 09, 2011 at 12:41 AM. Reason: ...
Old Jul 09, 2011, 12:55 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
thanks for the replies all! Maybe Marilyn did work on it lol

Unfortunately he's got to get rid of it, as he's getting older and is moving soon and needs to part with a few things. Anyone have a ballpark figure on value ($1 or $1k?)

And what is the difference between OQ-2A and OQ-2B? He did mention another prop, not sure if he has it or not.

Thanks again!
Rob
I notice the carby is missing, but Im guessing that if he has all the parts it would be a hot item on ebay and could well fetch more than you think.
olmod is online now Find More Posts by olmod
Old Jul 09, 2011, 05:36 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,029 Posts
If it were mine, i'd contact the air museums before I put it on eBay. If he doesn't want to donate it, some purchase interesting projects. There's one hanging in the USAF Museum.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Jul 09, 2011, 07:27 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Go carefully, we are talking treasure here!

C&H Surplus sales, of Pasadena, CA, acquired the bulk of the 2-channel, geared actuators, which drove the rudder & elevator of these Radioplane
targets. They ran ads in model mags for years, selling these devices to modelers, priced at $6.95. It was a 2-output unit, containing a pair of
brushed, permanent magnet motors, driving a pair of 1950:1 gear drives, terminating in a 1/4", splined shaft, which drove a 2-1/2" actuating arm,
one on each side.
In the 1960s, when my friend Tom Protheroe began manufacturing a beautiful 6-foot RC sail yacht, I started my own company, developing &
marketing the ex-drone actuators, for the purpose of controling the sails & rudder of Tom's boats. That was quite an adventure!
Having a complete, restorable drone, as shown, is truly a wonder. It can only grow in value, as time passes, so please see that it is treated
with the respect it deserves. Many thanks to the several researchers who have posted such thorough history here!
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Last edited by Lancer31; Jul 09, 2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 02:15 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,311 Posts
I wonder if there would be any interest with Marilyn Monroe memorabilia collectors. There's probably a lot more of them then there are WW2 drone collectors.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 04:26 PM
Joined Jul 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaffee View Post
I wonder if there would be any interest with Marilyn Monroe memorabilia collectors. There's probably a lot more of them then there are WW2 drone collectors.
Yeah I was considering that, but figure they will likely want just the propeller and maybe the engine and would dump the rest since that is all Marilyn is shown with the photo.

I've sent some emails to museums to see if there is any interest. If anyone here has serious interest, please contact me about possible arrangements in case nothing comes of the museums. I've talked a little with one member from here, so if anyone else would like a chance please let me know. Remember, money isn't the big thing (something very fair can be worked out), its keeping the drone intact so it can be appreciated and not "parted out" or resold at auction. Thats #1 for my neighbor.

Thanks again to all of you! The links have been very informative and helpful!
Rob

tiger8mush@yahoo.com