HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2011, 01:52 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
673 Posts
Discussion
1/8th Scale DM1 Spec Brushless Conversion Build

It may be difficult updating all the build threads on the forums, however the main one will be located here if this one falls behind:

Brushless Conversion Build

The build will hopefully progress at a fairly quick rate.

1/8th scale electrics are quite rare still. I would have thought by now, the market for them would have grown. Larger models have grown on me in only the last couple of years. In general, they handle tougher conditions and the fact I'm limiting my builds to multiples of 4s LiPo from now on.

All details will be kept in the main thread above and I will do my best to update the others.

Here's what I have to work with, now let's get the ball rolling.

Ryan
ryan_t888 is offline Find More Posts by ryan_t888
Last edited by ryan_t888; Jul 08, 2011 at 05:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:14 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
673 Posts
Made OK progress.

Stripped down all nitro components from chassis such as servo mounts, engine mounts, any anything else that must be removed.

Removed Front End Assembly and Mounted to New Chassis

Rear End Assembly Mounted

Battery Tray Mocked up and Secured

Motor Mount inserted

Brake Servo is Mocked up just needs to be secured. Will get that sorted out tomorrow.

Ryan
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:48 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
673 Posts
Servo's Mounted

Looking at the stock brake disc, it's made of the typical fibreglass material. I'm thinking in less than 5 passes I will be able to smoke this one up pretty good. The build will be heavier requiring more energy absorbtion to stop from higher speed.

I do not have this part yet. What option would be best for brakes? I'm currently looking at steel discs, with the steel pad and what they refer to as washers. (the washer is the actual frictional pad)

Ryan
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:02 AM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
673 Posts

Popped open the Ipanema Slicks. They look pretty decent.

The clutch was setup. The springs from the kit were used. These springs are quite light and should grab at low RPM which really doesn't matter that much for electric. What I like about it is, they will have more bite at higher RPM's since they are engaged earlier.

Lastly, Finished up the Body. Nothing special here. To me it's just a completed step. Don't know why I decided to snap the photos before mounting the wing. However the wing matches the main body colour pattern.

Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:15 AM
Agressive driver
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2011
1,201 Posts
Good job. Man that looks fast I can't wait to see it running. What motor and ESC are you going to use?
zanek is offline Find More Posts by zanek
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:06 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
673 Posts
Castle MMM ESC with the 1512 1Y 2650kv Neu/Castle motor. This will work best with the gearing I have selected and the 4s LiPo.

Ryan
Old Jul 13, 2011, 06:21 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,841 Posts
Any reason you're still using the clutch with an electric motor?
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jul 13, 2011, 06:59 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
673 Posts
Yes. It's part of the conversion kit called an electri-clutch. It will allow me to use the 2 speed transmission. And what I like is it will allow the motor and esc to sync before the car moves. I'm sure once I use it I will want to use it for every brushless car.

Ryan
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:46 PM
Agressive driver
Joined Jun 2011
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_t888 View Post
Castle MMM ESC with the 1512 1Y 2650kv Neu/Castle motor. This will work best with the gearing I have selected and the 4s LiPo.

Ryan
Sounds very fast
Old Jul 15, 2011, 01:43 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
673 Posts
It Moves!

Ended up getting enough done to see if it fires up.

The ESC and Motor were first pulled from the box.

The Motor, now a bit dusty was mounted and the clutch secured.

The ESC, also now dirty was mounted in the radio tray area with strong Velcro. The receiver was also mounted using the stronger velcro.

I took it in to the back yard for a quick little spin on pavement. Make certain brakes work, ESC arms, trims are set. It worked well. Just need to sort out a couple things prior to its first actual outing.

Should be able to get some road time within the next day or so.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 01:43 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
673 Posts
Went for the first run.

I should have put the slicks on right away. Didn't realize they wouldn't hold up for the weak 71km/h that showed up on the GPS.

Managed to flip the car nearly right away. Not even sure how this happened. Pretty neat to watch an 1/8th scale on it's roof for 50 feet.

The stock rubber were ballooning quite a bit. Decided to take it easy as I forgot to bring the slicks with me. This explains the 71km/h.(44mph)

It only took 5 or 6 passes until the brake disc let out so much smoke, it looked nearly like electronic failure. Unfortuneately I can't source anyone who has upgrade brakes in stock. May need to order in.

Just as I was about to quit, the rear tire completely blew out on me. Slicks are installed and ready to go.

I hope for the next outing I can get some video. Acceleration seems great, top speed is still in question.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 02:36 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 2006
1,168 Posts
Nice build, bet the shell took a beating with that slide....hate it when that happens.

Have you simulated your setup on a gearing calculator? The one on scriptasylum RC is awesome and it is accurate. Would give you an idea what to expect and understand what rpm its turning at a given speed.

I'm going to convert my Inferno GT using a MMM/2200 when it gets cooler here, have everything needed, but I'm worried about the tires. Where'd you by your slicks?
Duster_360 is offline Find More Posts by Duster_360
Old Jul 15, 2011, 04:18 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
673 Posts
I ran through the list of dealers for them and selected the closest one.

The body has already taken quite a beating. It's gonna happen now or late so I'm really not all that worried.

As far as gearing and speed or rpm - I've used my own RC calculator. A simplified version will soon be uPloaded to my website in the link on post one. You may have to click the header to get to the homepage.

My goal is 100km/h and I know my gearing will get me +/- 5 km/h.

It's a really fun car. That's for sure.

Good luck with your build. I'm sure it will be much better. I have limited my self to 4s to correspond with all my other setups. You can push the 2200 on 6s. And that will be a beast.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 05:51 PM
Agressive driver
Joined Jun 2011
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_t888 View Post
I ran through the list of dealers for them and selected the closest one.

The body has already taken quite a beating. It's gonna happen now or late so I'm really not all that worried.

As far as gearing and speed or rpm - I've used my own RC calculator. A simplified version will soon be uPloaded to my website in the link on post one. You may have to click the header to get to the homepage.

My goal is 100km/h and I know my gearing will get me +/- 5 km/h.

It's a really fun car. That's for sure.

Good luck with your build. I'm sure it will be much better. I have limited my self to 4s to correspond with all my other setups. You can push the 2200 on 6s. And that will be a beast.
Looking good. And how did you wire up the mechanical brake with the ESC?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 07:41 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
673 Posts
It has nothing to do with the ESC. It is mixed on the 3rd channel in the Rx.

Ryan