Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 08, 2011, 07:52 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
Discussion
Pilot-1 Stinson 108

I bought the Pilot-1 Stinson the other day ... not delivered yet ... and a search has turned up very little on this plane. I have the Pilot-1 Waco biplane and it is a beautiful plane, well built, and flies great. I have a feeling this Stinson will have the same quality and manners in the air. XX=crossed fingers!
Anyone have 1st hand experience with this bird?
Regards,
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2011, 12:44 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,510 Posts
Yep. I have one with about a dozen flights on it.
Like it a lot. No bad habits, good flying manners, looks great in the air and is a fun alternative to overdone GA models like the J-3.

Mine is set up with a mix of HS55 and HTX900 servos. Cannot recall off hand what motor, prop and ESC I ended up using, but they were more or less of the same specification as the maker suggests. Battery is a 3S turnigy 2200 25c rating.
The Stinson benefits from a decent amount of aileron differential to reduce adverse yaw. I also have a rudder/aileron mix on a switch, as sometimes it is fun to fly it with rudder coordination by me, and sometimes it is fun to let the mix do the coordination.
Mine has floats in it's future. Currently it is a testbed for my DX8/AR8000 telemetry unit... Working great.
There is exactly one fairly decent thread about this Stinson in the scale electric forum.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Jul 10, 2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2011, 01:13 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
Thanks Thomas. I did find that thread but not much activity there. One Gent from Norway replied and he has some good info EXCEPT it is all written in Norwegian!
I just got it today, UPS came early for some reason.
It is beautiful! My Pilot-1 Waco biplane is a stunner, IMHO, and I had hoped the Stinson would be also. Well .... it is better looking than the Waco. Shhh, speak quietly, don't want Waco to hear me say that! It really is nice. Pilot-1 planes, in my short and limited experience, are niiiiice. Solid and beautiful lines. I'm trying to fight off the urge to jump into the build. Servos are not here, nor is the motor/ESC. So, I'll just wait and look at it for a bit. I suppose I can run the control rods through and, and, and..........
Regards,
Don
Old Jul 08, 2011, 01:27 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,736 Posts
slip it together and make airplane noises.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Jul 09, 2011, 05:43 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
It is beautiful! My Pilot-1 Waco biplane is a stunner, IMHO, and I had hoped the Stinson would be also. Well .... it is better looking than the Waco. Shhh, speak quietly, don't want Waco to hear me say that! It really is nice. Pilot-1 planes, in my short and limited experience, are niiiiice. Solid and beautiful lines. ..............
Regards,
Don
I completely agree on the Pilot One models......great thinking by Hobby Lobby to come out with a quality line of kits with their own brand name. Plus is was a nice mix of common and uncommon subjects.

I own and fly three of the 1/8 scale Pilot One kits: the Waco, the Stinson and the Champ. My fav of the three is the Waco, but the Stinson is not far behind. All are great models!

I do cheat on them with a few Eflite and Hangar 9 models, though.... Am also very fond of the Eflite Bonanza 15e and the Eflite Stearman, plus the H9 80" Piper Pawnee. Here is my fleet of civilian aircraft and biplanes at our clubs General Aviation and Biplane fly-in event last summer....flew every model there (except for the little Beriev Be-200....bad elevator servo.) that day and most of them twice!
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:12 AM
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
Hi Thomas! I think I saw/followed some of your advice on the Waco build. I have not even thought about starting on the Stinson, there is one area that has me BAFFLED! I've read the manual several times and they think I know more about building than I do! The area that is waaaaay too vague for me is the routing for the control rods for the elevator and rudder. If you have a moment, let me know and I'll PM you with details and ask what you did! BTW, I got the cream and red version.
Old Apr 05, 2014, 09:42 PM
United States, MN, Hopkins
Joined Feb 2013
361 Posts
Stinson 108 highly modified to appear like my real one

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Hi Thomas! I think I saw/followed some of your advice on the Waco build. I have not even thought about starting on the Stinson, there is one area that has me BAFFLED! I've read the manual several times and they think I know more about building than I do! The area that is waaaaay too vague for me is the routing for the control rods for the elevator and rudder. If you have a moment, let me know and I'll PM you with details and ask what you did! BTW, I got the cream and red version.
You have probably already completed your Stinson, but I used the rod kit for the elevator instead of the yoke connection. I also added flaps, motor is a OS 15, slo-mo flap controller. I love the flight characteristics just a fine plane. I'm also flying 3 variations of the Flyzone DHC-2 Beaver two on floats one on Bush Wheels and Du-bro skis. There is alot of activity on rcgroups of modifications and ideas with alot of help with performing the personalization of your Beaver.
Whitieford is online now Find More Posts by Whitieford