SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 08, 2011, 02:23 AM
Ninja Master
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
Build Log
Saab J32 Lansen PSS Build

The PSS Fest thread really got me thinking. I haven't built a PSS plane in several years and I really want to have something unique and unusual. I thought something Swedish would be appropriate since it's my heritage, and they have built lots of interesting airplanes. My favorite, the Viggen, is obviously not a good choice being a delta/canard design. So I started doing some research and settled on one of 2 options. The first was The Saab J21. Interesting airplane and would probably be a good PSS platform. Here's a three view....

But, it just didn't do it for me. So option 2 was the J32 Lansen. I was a little concerned about the swept wing, but others have done it with success, so after doing some more research I settled on the Lansen. I realize there will be some compromises with the swept wing planform, and it will have some characteristics such as Dutch Roll that I plan on experimentinting with a gyro to eliminate or dampen. Now I had to figure out how big. I want it impressive, so a trip down to Kinko's with three view drawings in hand, I set the copier to 400%, and hit copy. One more time gave me dimensions of 76" length with a span of 66".

Here's the three view...

Pretty big. Turbine size actually. I had to think about that for a week or two, but finally said to myself, "Why the Hell not"?! I just finished my Ninja XL and was very happy with it's flight performance, and I've always thought bigger models fly better. So anyway, I want to keep it fairly light, with a wing loading around 20oz/sq. inch so I can fly at my local hill and not have to make the drive to Cajon or Fermin to fly it. I like building with wood, so construction will be light ply and balsa, with light ply formers and central beams. This will be planked with balsa and then glassed. Wings will be white foam sheeted with balsa and also glassed. I plan on doing a clear canopy with detailed cockpit, plug in wings and removable tails.

There aren't too many color schemes out there but I've settled on this one...

BigSwede is online now Find More Posts by BigSwede
Last edited by BigSwede; Jul 08, 2011 at 02:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2011, 02:27 AM
Ninja Master
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
So construction began tonight by spending time with light ply and a scroll saw.

Here are former templates glued to two sheets of 12" by 48" light ply and then cut out and joined with CA.

Old Jul 08, 2011, 02:31 AM
Ninja Master
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
Formers will be glued to a center box sectionfor positionig and strength. I'm thinking that I'll have to drill lightening holes everywhere because it's already starting to feel heavy.

Front 3/4 of box structure...

Old Jul 08, 2011, 02:34 AM
Ninja Master
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
That's it for building for a few days, as I've got to go to work for the next 4 days. I'm off all next week though, and all the wood that I ordered should be here by then, so I'll hopefully get a lot done.
Old Jul 08, 2011, 03:18 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,311 Posts
Alright! It. Has. Begun.

Can you get rid of that central structure once the longerons are all in place?
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Jul 08, 2011, 03:23 AM
Ninja Master
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
Haha, yeah. It has begun. If I'm not too busy working on it next weekend, we should get some flying in.
Old Jul 08, 2011, 03:48 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts

This is awesome!! Wow, very impressed. That's an interesting looking plane... the nose seems to point upwards - will be trippy in the air but very cool!

Gonna enjoy watching this one go together.

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
Old Jul 08, 2011, 04:15 AM
Ninja Master
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
Thanks Steve. The nose does appear to point up, but I think thats just an illusion caused by the gun blisters on the bottom of the nose. The three views show it just pointing kinda straight, but yeah, it does make it look a little less aggressive.
Old Jul 08, 2011, 04:19 AM
Ninja Master
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaffee View Post
Alright! It. Has. Begun.

Can you get rid of that central structure once the longerons are all in place?
Brett, yeah, it could be removed. I was planning on leaving it in, but I've got to spend every effort to reduce weight on this one. I was just thinking of drilling lots of lightening holes as I think the structure adds a lot of strength. I'm not known as a light builder, so I've really gotta concern myself with weight.
Old Jul 08, 2011, 07:42 AM
Crafter of flying plugs
Armidale, NSW
Joined Feb 2007
1,234 Posts
Im not sure if I love or hate the Saab J21 But thats a nice start on the J32.

Watching with great interest!
Owen Hedger is online now Find More Posts by Owen Hedger
Old Jul 08, 2011, 08:19 AM
Ninja Master
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Hedger View Post
Im not sure if I love or hate the Saab J21 But thats a nice start on the J32.

Watching with great interest!
I feel the same way about the J21. I've never really thought the J32 was a great looking plane either, but at least it's not ugly. It'll make a very interesting subject. Can't wait till it's lines begin to show!
Old Jul 08, 2011, 10:50 AM
Tobias (aka glider hangaround)
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Apr 2008
551 Posts
Hey! This is so cool, looking forward to follow this build by obvious reasons. Ive been thinking about a J21 PSS in foam for a while, but would chose the piston engine version since it has a slimmer fuse.

BTW, outside Kalmar there was a small airplane museum many years ago and they had the fuse of a Lansen standing ouside there, it was from a division up in the north of Sweden. And on its side below the canopy, where fighterpilots puts their kills, it had along row of red sillhouettes of raindeers So we could guess how they did their target practice for strafing once...
Fluffracka is offline Find More Posts by Fluffracka
Old Jul 08, 2011, 11:16 AM
Ninja Master
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
Haha, that's funny. Maybe I'll put some reindeer 'kills' on mine. Strangely enough, there is a Lansen at Mojave airport (I think it's still there) sitting there waiting for restoration. I may have to make the 1 1/2 drive to check it out.
Old Jul 08, 2011, 05:29 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,434 Posts
Looks good ,I'd leave the internal structure for strength as well Lighting hole the former and leave the internal structure whole, but that's only what I'd do . What span we looking at here? I missed it probably but it looks like its got plenty of wing so I wouldn't sweat the loading to much.
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Jul 08, 2011, 06:29 PM
Ninja Master
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
Thanks Steve. I've decided that I'm gonna leave the structure there, but I will attack it with a Dremel when I get home from work on Monday night. Span will be 65", root chord is 20" and tips are 8", which will give an area of around 750 sq. inches. I'll use a 7.5% RG14 at the root with 8% at the tip with 3 degrees washout. So if I get the weight around 105 oz. I'd be really happy. I know it would fly fine heavier, but I'd like to be able to fly it at my local hill which has average lift most of the year.