HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:01 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,476 Posts
Superb! Thanks a lot! I didn't know that "rail cars" existed!
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Running the "K" Hawk 0.2cc...
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:05 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,454 Posts
You can see the set up of the ball bearings on this tiny Cox 0,010 powered rail car. Forgot the builders name right now. The car was set with the upstanding metal rail in between those rollers.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:29 AM
United States, TX, Burleson
Joined Jul 2012
13 Posts
rail cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Superb! Thanks a lot! I didn't know that "rail cars" existed!
Rail tracks in the United States were typically high-banked oval tracks where 4 to 6 cars would compete against one another. The straightaways were highly banked and the turns were often vertical. One track in particular, the "Perfect Circle Speedway" in California, was circular and featured a racing surface that was completely vertical.

But rail track racing in England was conducted on miniature road courses with both left- and right-hand turns and a flat racing surface.

One of the pioneers of English rail track racing was a gentleman by the name of Henri Baigent and some of his innovations eventually led to slot car racing as we know it today.

You will find an interesting account of Baigent's efforts on a website created by his son:

www.henribaigent.org

This section is of particular interest:

http://henribaigent.org/track%20raci...k%20Racing.htm
mitecars is offline Find More Posts by mitecars
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:52 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,452 Posts
Here is the article and plans from a 1957 Mechanix Illustrated Magazine for the "Scamper" multi-purpose tether car or hydrofoil boat, or ski-car even.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Mar 16, 2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: typo correction
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:29 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,340 Posts
Mitecars,
I've been out of town for past week so wasn't able to comment about the San Jose track stuff you posted. Very cool and thanks!

When I was there, I seem to recall that a shade covered observation platform went all the way around the track(??), where the spectators could look down into the action. I remember being a bit vexed at not being able to see the cars as they passed out of view, infront of me. I bet I was four or five, at the time. In your photos, the track itself seems much bigger than I remember, but then my perspective has changed a bit,since then!

I literally grew up at Reid's Hillview Airport, as my dad kept an odd assortment and ever changing que of anique/experimental aircraft there. I bet the track fell into disuse in the late fifties as it it soon seemed to melt into the landscape. I also remmeber the board bicycle track at San Jose Speedway. I never saw aything race there but my dad and his friends used to reminis about the motorcycle races "on the boards". One of his racing buddies had the unique nickname "Splinters", apparently earned from a particulay bad spill there, before the war. Years later, when pop was sick, some of his old friends would stop by. When I finally met the infamous racer, I was flabbergasted to find I had known "Splinters" too, as the long time cudstodian of my grade school!

Going to the Midget races at San Jose Speedway was often the best of two worlds, for me. From the East facing stands I got to watch the fast cars (we were always rooting for Mike McGreavie) and in the late eveing there was always some Aeronca or Piper shooting touch and goes on Reid's runway, till it got dark. When in season, we seldom missed the indoor Midgets at the Oakland Exposition Hall. We loved the Midgets! Pop had owned a midget back in the 30's, my brother raced Sprint cars at SJ till it too closed down (last I heard he has a couple of midgets, back in Indianna). I'm semi-retired, but dabble in aircraft restoration.
packardpursuit is online now Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:04 PM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,871 Posts
Here is a photo I made at Reid's Hillview Airport around 1950. Pilot not hurt.
California Condor is online now Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:31 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2,490 Posts
Rail Cars existed in England also - Mills powered ! Can't you just smell the Diesel aroma from all these inside a closed shed or hall !
Advert. from "Model Aircraft" February 1955
Twin Stack is online now Find More Posts by Twin Stack
Old Mar 18, 2013, 01:51 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,454 Posts
Rrc

I used to be a member of the Retro Racing Club in England. Driving force behind all this is Peter Hill. This is one of the last club mags I received, so I do not know if the club is still operational and Peter alive ?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:11 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,454 Posts
Rrc

Browsing trough some of their club magazines I found this Morgan 3-wheeler model with a Philtech 3cc V-twin engine. As you know I used to drive a moggie trike myself... until starting that Jap whilst forgetting to use the decompression lever....nearly broke my arm. I was so angry I sold the car to a German enthusiast. It was far too dangerous anyway to drive on our cowboy roads anyway. The picture quality of the magazine was very very poor.
That teardrop is for our Swedish friend.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:22 AM
Central UK
Joined May 2003
171 Posts
Reginald,
For some years I was a member of the Retro Racing Club too but their track really was too far from where I lived, I still have all of my club newsletters though. It looks as though it may still be running.

http://www.onthewire.co.uk/retro.htm

Dave.
DACH is offline Find More Posts by DACH
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:25 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DACH View Post
Reginald,
For some years I was a member of the Retro Racing Club too but their track really was too far from where I lived, I still have all of my club newsletters though. It looks as though it may still be running.

http://www.onthewire.co.uk/retro.htm

Dave.
I obtained this aero car from one of the RRC members. I did clean it up and fitted another tank I had lying about since the original was split up badly. It is a small world really. Two years ago I was looking for a location here to start a track but noise has become too much of a problem so I gave up.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 09:12 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,452 Posts
I noticed some subtle differences in the way Americans and others were running the rail cars and tether cars.

For rail cars, the Americans were using the rail positioned between the body/chassis and the inside wheels. For UK they appear to be centering the rail below the chassis.

The Americans appear to be running the cars counter clockwise on the tracks whether it is tethered or as a rail car. But the Russians appear to be running the tether cars clockwise around their tracks. The British look like they run their cars counter clockwise as tether cars too. But the rail car pics from the UK seem to have the cars going clockwise on the rail tracks.

Were there any set rules for which direction to run the cars?
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Mar 18, 2013, 09:41 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,340 Posts
californiacondor,

Great image of #7(stablemate of Swea'Pea??) on it's top at Reid's!! 1950 sounds right. I have a photo & neg of my older brother sitting on tire of of one of the Cosmic Winds, also taken at Ried's, same time period. Appears there was some sort of Goodyear Racing event, judging from other aircraft in the small shot.

Reginald,

Any chance to get those basic dimensions for Cox Prop Rod yet?

Love the roadster with the prop swinging thru the cockpit!
packardpursuit is online now Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:05 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit View Post
californiacondor,

Great image of #7(stablemate of Swea'Pea??) on it's top at Reid's!! 1950 sounds right. I have a photo & neg of my older brother sitting on tire of of one of the Cosmic Winds, also taken at Ried's, same time period. Appears there was some sort of Goodyear Racing event, judging from other aircraft in the small shot.

Reginald,

Any chance to get those basic dimensions for Cox Prop Rod yet?

Love the roadster with the prop swinging thru the cockpit!
I did put the top op a Cox prop-rod onto the scanner so here it is. The exact sizes are 12 cm wide at the wheels and 28 cm total length. Hope this helps?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:58 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,454 Posts
Originally intended for rubber power but easy to adapt for a Cox engine. Courtesy Retro Racing Club magazine.