SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 14, 2011, 01:13 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,364 Posts
They may not fly but there's some great smile makers on this thread.

The build up of the posts for a topic of this nature WILL be slow. But it's a nice addtion to the neighbourhood.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2011, 09:16 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,974 Posts
I am surprised, not one engine powered Cox Champion midget racer. I could not afford one of the engine kits but ran the thing on heavy cord whip style. I can remember kids starting them from rear wheel of upside down bicycle, etc. We didn't need no steenking RC stuff in the 50's to have fun.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jul 16, 2011, 09:39 AM
Joined Aug 2009
78 Posts
Why is this thread in the aircraft - exotic and special interest section ?
king richard is offline Find More Posts by king richard
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:51 AM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by king richard View Post
Maybe as there is a bit of cross interest here?

You couldn't post this in the Car section of RCGroups, 99.99% wouldn't have a clue what a tether car is or it's capabilities. Plus it does come under 'Vintage and Old Timer Designs' after all.

You could ask what Free Flight and Control Line has to do with a Radio Control Forum.

Like my tournament knife throwing friend says, 'If it sticks in a wooden target, then it's throwing'. He has been known to throw knives, axes, nails, bayonets, garden shears, pliers, chairs (!!!)....
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:11 PM
Joined Aug 2009
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb. View Post
Maybe as there is a bit of cross interest here?

You couldn't post this in the Car section of RCGroups, 99.99% wouldn't have a clue what a tether car is or it's capabilities. Plus it does come under 'Vintage and Old Timer Designs' after all.

You could ask what Free Flight and Control Line has to do with a Radio Control Forum.

Like my tournament knife throwing friend says, 'If it sticks in a wooden target, then it's throwing'. He has been known to throw knives, axes, nails, bayonets, garden shears, pliers, chairs (!!!)....
I think some people tried that argument defending posting boat plans here. I think the consensus was "If the boat people don't get it, that's their problem. post it there in the boat section anyway". As far as ff & cl, the owners of this forum made a thread dedicated to it. Plus it fits the exotic aircraft theme better than cars on a string. I am not complaining. Just questioning.
king richard is offline Find More Posts by king richard
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:18 PM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
Just a friendly reply, though I understand your post.

There is lots of cross reference on RCG, sometimes what should be in a certain forum gets better answers by being outside that 'field'.

I for one would have never had the answers to some of my problems if I had exclusively stuck to the motorcycle section.

Eg. My diesel oil exhaust interceptor thread in 'Engines'. (Which of course is in Aircraft-Fuel-General).
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Last edited by Jonathan Bradbury; Jul 16, 2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Putting in links.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 05:47 PM
Team Fearless
United States, MD, Piney Point
Joined Mar 2005
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by king richard View Post
Are you an R/C Car guy? J/K

1. Tether Cars are a breed of their own and are definitely a "Special Interest" subject and there are some tether cars out there that are extremely exotic!

2. Tether cars go back as early as the 1930's so I would say that would be vintage as well.

3. It seems that a lot of the tether car enthusiast's are more an airplane enthusiast than r/c cars. I own and fly planes from old timer F.F. and control line to Giant Scale Gasser's. Heck, I'm into pretty much every part of the hobby such as R/C Car racing to N gauge trains to Model Rockets.

4. And because this thread will get better attention here than in the car section.

Anyway,
I went out to my shop today and snapped some pics of my Tether Car collection as well as a couple planes and some car and plane engines. I have a few more cars in storage such as Cox Vette and a Cox Riviera and I think I may have a couple more Testors cars and will post more pics once I get some time to go through my storage boxes.

My cars are,
1 New In Box 1950 Indy Racer with an .099
1 Testors Super Pickup
2 Testors Super Vans 1 new 1 used
1 Testors Sprite new never run with box
1 Cox Shrike that I restored with new old stock parts
1 Cox Pinto Funny Car that is mint
1 Cox r/c Star Wars Land Speeder
1 OK Cub Kart mint except for the driver. (fell apart due to age)
1 Cox FORD GT-40 Chassis with original Thimble Drome engine. (Runs Great!)
1 Cox Gurney Eagle Drive Train with slicks from a crashed car that is in excellent condition
1 Cox Thimble Drome Corvette new in opened box
1 Cox Thimble Drome Buick Riviera Never run
I had a Cox .049 32 Ford drag car that I scratch built but I sold it. I'm working on a dragster now.
My engines,
1 used but complete and great running Cox Thimble Drome .049 car engine from an old Chaparral
1 Thimble Drome .049 airplane engine. I got it a yard sale last weekend for .10c lol
1 the original Babe Bee for my Shrike. I put my Black Widow on it for longer run time.
1 McCoy Testors .049 mint
1 new never run Testors .049 with Stunt Tank
1 new never run Testors Fly' Em series replacement .049

My planes are,
1 new never flown Cox Fokker Tri-Plane
1 Cox Coast Guard Heli. (I got it from Cox for $10.00 when they were blowing them out)
1 Cox Star Wars Naboo Fighter (It's a fun plane to fly for something to do)
1 New in box and never opened Cox 50th Anniversary Pitt's Biplane with a Pee Wee .020 Had 3 sold 2
~SnApRoLl is offline Find More Posts by ~SnApRoLl
Last edited by ~SnApRoLl; Jul 24, 2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 06:37 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,955 Posts
That is a great collection you have going there. way to go. Nice job.
Most impressive, congratulations.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jul 16, 2011, 09:32 PM
Just some guy
Joined Aug 2006
662 Posts
I really feel that this tether thread is very much at home here. It adds another flavor of vintage that many would not experience if it was hiddenaway.
D Johnson is offline Find More Posts by D Johnson
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:12 AM
Always building something...
United States, NM, Farmington
Joined Oct 2005
115 Posts
I agree with D. Johnson, it belongs here...:0)
engrv7 is offline Find More Posts by engrv7
Old Jul 17, 2011, 05:16 PM
United States, WI, Elm Grove
Joined Apr 2007
399 Posts
Here are some pictures of cars I once had, all from 1992. The Dooling F car is McCoy 60 powered. I did obtain some rear tires. It was always meant to be restored, but it was sold before that happened. The small chassis is from a "mite car"; I don't remember which one.

What the unpainted aluminum car is escapes my memory. Could it have been rubber powered?

The fiberglass car is a homebuilt I started. It was in the champ car style, front wheel drive, powered by an OK 60. I made a mold and laid up the body in glass cloth. I am not any kind of machinist and cobbled together the drive line. It never progressed further than the pictures.

Everything was sold to finance some vintage motorcycle restorations.

Jim
jjscott is online now Find More Posts by jjscott
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:29 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,974 Posts
There are quite a few tether racing videos on You Tube, enter "tether car " in search block.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jul 18, 2011, 06:53 PM
Team Fearless
United States, MD, Piney Point
Joined Mar 2005
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscott View Post
Here are some pictures of cars I once had, all from 1992. The Dooling F car is McCoy 60 powered. I did obtain some rear tires. It was always meant to be restored, but it was sold before that happened. The small chassis is from a "mite car"; I don't remember which one.

What the unpainted aluminum car is escapes my memory. Could it have been rubber powered?

The fiberglass car is a homebuilt I started. It was in the champ car style, front wheel drive, powered by an OK 60. I made a mold and laid up the body in glass cloth. I am not any kind of machinist and cobbled together the drive line. It never progressed further than the pictures.

Everything was sold to finance some vintage motorcycle restorations.

Jim
Wow those are some cool cars.
Last year, my family and I moved from Florida back to my home town here in Maryland and I have been going through my storage boxes and getting all of my old Cox and Testors planes and cars and I found my old Cox Thimble Drome .049 powered Corvette. It has never been used and still has the original box with the cellophane still intact and all the accessories still sealed in the bags. My Dad found it for me at a garage sale for $5.00 about 10 years ago! I will try and post pics tonight. I also found some Cox car chassis and a few car engines that I will be fixing up and selling soon.
~SnApRoLl is offline Find More Posts by ~SnApRoLl
Last edited by ~SnApRoLl; Jul 19, 2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 05:55 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
I am surprised, not one engine powered Cox Champion midget racer. I could not afford one of the engine kits but ran the thing on heavy cord whip style. I can remember kids starting them from rear wheel of upside down bicycle, etc. We didn't need no steenking RC stuff in the 50's to have fun.
Have a look at my website www.reginaldluycx.be and you can see some Cox cars, one has the V-Twin Cox I made on it. The site was recently expanded with many pictures but the guy doing this for me made the mistake of putting also the bad pics on as well as some text goof ups. This will be corrected.
As a kid, I remember peeping on my toes inside the old toy shop and seeing that red Cox Proprod. I need finishing that big hotrod one of these days,
many engines to restore, re-building the old 3.50meter Piper .....and watching
le Tour de France
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Jul 19, 2011, 08:47 AM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,009 Posts
This thread is a lot of fun. Reminds me of the boat thing....foreign territory, but cool.

P
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar