HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2003, 09:23 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Taking a Whizzz all over Calgary, and my first foamie flying wing!

Hi gang!

Christine and I got to Calgary for about 5 days for a short vacation and in that time I got to fly with Henry of www.zebrahobby.ca (Slow Riser on here) and Colin (gonzo007 on here). We flew at a picturesque flying site looking over the city. While there, Henry gave me the sticks of his self-designed flying wing, the Whizzz. It's dd IPS powered and was a remarkable surprise. I didn't notice any of the usual snap-out-of-high-G manoeuvers that are typically present in other flying wings. In short, it's a fun little plane.

Here's the first of a few pics taken by Henry on the windless slope last sunday showing just what kind of view we had while stick wiggling. The plane is the speck above my head
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2003, 09:24 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Here's another.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 09:27 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
The trip home found me with a Whizzz in hand. Hmmmm... that sounds dirty. Anyway, I spent about 2 hours putting her together and here's the result. She weighs 3.2 oz without battery, 4.3 with a 2s 700 etec pack, or 3.7 oz with a 2s 250 etec pack.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 09:30 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Here's the bottom. I didn't bother with embedding everything into the foam aside from the servos as I tend to play musical airplanes with my rx's and esc's, but she still flies very clean.

I did do a few things different from how Henry originally planned it. I used a 1/8 carbon tube epoxied into the foam for a main spar as you can see in this pic. Strapping tape has been run along the leading and trailing edges. The wingtip fins are 1/16" balsa instead of the recommended foam plate. Those are all moot points, as durability is durability and she has withstood any inflight stress I can put on her thus far.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 09:32 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
She flies like on rails. I love that there's no trim changes from low to high throttle. I've been playing with various launch techniques - everything from overhead to underhand to discus. Here's a pic of the test flight launch, showing traditional technique. She will glide for more than 100 feet without power. I launch with power off and gun it just before she touches down
Old Aug 31, 2003, 09:34 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Zooooooom. She grooves at full throttle. I'm using a 3x3 prop so the speed is decent too.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 09:36 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
I quickly found that the best fun is flying like I couldn't (or rather, wouldn't) do with Henry's Whizzz - low! I got into doing circuits about 1 foot up. Here's a typical pass
Old Aug 31, 2003, 09:37 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Flyby!
Old Aug 31, 2003, 09:40 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
*yoink* Here's the end to a good flight - or perhaps it's a discus launch for flight #2

This is great fun. For the price you can't go wrong, either. I've been looking at around 14 minutes flight time on the 2s 250 pack and the 700s... well, they last a long time but I haven't gone to LVC yet. I'll report back with a video soon.

Enjoy!

Martin
Old Sep 01, 2003, 02:07 AM
Bangalore Hindustan, India
Joined Apr 2003
593 Posts
What airfoil are you using and what motor?
looks like you have embedded the servos in the bottom, on landing isnt there a potential danger of striping the servo gears?

Nice wing Do u plan to put up plans?

Prashanth
Prashanth is offline Find More Posts by Prashanth
Old Sep 01, 2003, 10:36 AM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
Way to go! Nice wing. Looks like a pretty god knockabout plane to leave in your car and fly whenever

Cam
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87
Old Sep 01, 2003, 10:46 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Prashanth, I'm not sure of the airfoil. It's kitted by www.zebrahobby.ca . The motor is a GWS IPS dd.

As far as the servos - this is how I've seen it done on 95% of the flying wings out there

Cam, that's exactly right. It's what I'm calling my "no fear" airplane.

Martin
Old Sep 02, 2003, 12:04 AM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,910 Posts
I did my BEST to find you, Colin and Henry! Spent an hour up in Bridgeland looking for youse guys that Sunday!

REALLY sorry I couldn't get away sooner. I JUST missed Colin's last phone call, and (subsequently) the whole shebang.

'til next time, Martin!

tn
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Old Sep 02, 2003, 12:32 AM
Canadian E-Tailer
Calgary
Joined Apr 2002
343 Posts
Next time Tom...

It's too bad we missed your call. Beautiful day, no wind.

Now, I'll have to tell you that I was concerned that Martin didn't have enough space to take-off or land; landing area was about 3 meters wide and about 10 meters long.

Well, Martin needed only 1 meter for his take-off run and up she went. On the landing, he needed even less as he put it in a hover...walked up to it and plucked it out of the air. Needless to say, he had quite the crowd gathering.

The funny thing, a big burly biker drives up in a nice Triumph motorcycle got out and was asking questions.

Here's a picture of Martin flying his 3D plane.

Now as a Whizzz thread, I'll have to say that I turned over the controls of the Whizzz to Martin and in less than a minute he was flying it like a pattern plane. Definitely gave me some flying skills I want to improve on. I've flown these for awhile and thought I was competent but in the hands of a more experienced flier, put it through another set of paces.

I've had a fair amount of interest in the Whizzz and have run out after the first production run of 25 kits. Lots of good comments coming back.

A number of people have build the ultralight version as I have for testing. With a Plantraco 550 Li-Poly pack, AUW is under 4 oz...that is without the packing tape. Phenomenal flier at this weight.

I have a small (10MB) QuickTime clip on my site. Took the video this past weekend with Luke Casey show has been providing me feedback on the instructions.

Henry
--
www.zebrahobby.ca
Slow Riser is offline Find More Posts by Slow Riser
Old Sep 02, 2003, 12:37 AM
Canadian E-Tailer
Calgary
Joined Apr 2002
343 Posts
Whizzz Twin

Finally got some time this weekend to put the Whizzz Twin together.

AUW with a ETec 1200 Li-Poly pack is less than 6 oz. It was a very windy day but first flights look very promising. Excellent climb. It feels like a totally new plane and handled the wind with ease.

What surprised me is I could to unlimited inverted loops. I'll have to increase the width of the elevons as even with significant throws, the rolls were a tad slow.

Henry
--
www.zebrahobby.ca
Slow Riser is offline Find More Posts by Slow Riser