HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2011, 12:50 AM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
Question
Dx7s/Dx8 - is JR no longer making Spektrum branded radios?

I am in the market for a new transmitter and I am in a bind. I want the JR quality in DSM2 or DSMX but the only place I can get that now is using second hand transmitters with the old DSM2.

How have the Dx6i transmitters and recent Dx8 transmitters held up compared to the older Dx7 made by JR? Is the Spektrum quality questionable enough to warrant purchasing a used Dx7 to have essentually a JR Tx?

Price point used for Dx7 is close to a new Dx6i.
Kurpal is offline Find More Posts by Kurpal
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2011, 12:57 AM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
I guess the question should be - Would it be better to get the Dx6i with the new DSMX protocol or the Dx7 used with the old DSM2 protocol factoring in that the Dx6i is not a JR manufactured Tx.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 01:30 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,513 Posts
I dont quite understand what your question is.If you want a JR Tx why not just buy a JR?
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Jul 07, 2011, 01:41 AM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
I dont quite understand what your question is.If you want a JR Tx why not just buy a JR?
JR, to my knowledge, does not offer a transmitter in the entry level market other than the (discontinued)Dx7. Their base model with 2.4 DSMX technology is $500, the 9303. Compared to the Dx7 at $200(new) which has more features and channels than I would ever use, I cannot justify the extra $300.

Basically I liked the price of the Dx7 - but now it will be replaced by the Dx7s that is no longer a JR transmitter - probably at a higher price point .

Here is something I found on this topic - no idea if it is accurate or not but it makes sense:

Quote:
When this product was first introduced, folks were told this radio wouldn't be offered to North American customers because of contractual restrictions between Horizon and JR. Spektrum radios could only be marketed as 8-channel or fewer, while JR would have the 9-channel and higher market segments. That's why North America didn't get the Spektrum DX10t or the JR XG7. Now, all of the sudden, we're getting the DX10t at the same time DSMX is popping up.

Of all of the Spektrum-branded transmitters offered by Horizon here in North America, the DX7/DX7 SE was the only one reported to be manufactured for Horizon by JR. The DX7 appears to have been adapted directly from the JR 7202 radio platform, while the DX5e, the DX6i, the DX8, and the DX10i are reported to be manufactured by a third party supplier under contract to Horizon Hobby. Now, with the DSMX announcement, comes the news that the DX7 and DX7 SE are discontinued.

How has the introduction of DSMX impacted the relationship between Horizon Hobby and JR? Will Horizon introduce a new radio to fill the giant gap between the DX6i and the DX8 in Horizon's product line-up? Why does Horizon suddenly wish to offer the DX10t to North American pilots?
Last edited by Kurpal; Jul 07, 2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 03:15 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
If you want a 7 channel JR quality radio, using Spektrum technology, in the USA, then your only option is an old DX7 and that isn't likely to change.

As JR and Spektrum drift slowly apart, JR are releasing new 7 and 8 channel radios that use their own DMSS technology (not compatible with DSM/DSM2/DSMJ/DSMX) but it is not likely you'll see these in the USA and as you have found, Spektrum have released new 7 and 8 channel radios using their own manufacturing.

So in short an old DX7 is the only way you'll get what you are looking for.
Telrin is offline Find More Posts by Telrin
Old Jul 07, 2011, 03:34 AM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telrin View Post
If you want a 7 channel JR quality radio, using Spektrum technology, in the USA, then your only option is an old DX7 and that isn't likely to change.

As JR and Spektrum drift slowly apart, JR are releasing new 7 and 8 channel radios that use their own DMSS technology (not compatible with DSM/DSM2/DSMJ/DSMX) but it is not likely you'll see these in the USA and as you have found, Spektrum have released new 7 and 8 channel radios using their own manufacturing.

So in short an old DX7 is the only way you'll get what you are looking for.
Yeah, that is what I was afraid of. I wish I hadn't developed such a JR bias... I wonder if the new Dx7s will be of a better quality relating to components than the Dx6i? My thoughts are no, feeling the Dx6i vs the Dx8 the feel like they use the same components

Basically i have to weigh having DSM2 with a used and possibly abused Tx vs DSMX in what many consider a lower grade transmitter.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 03:57 AM
about:blank
Slovenia
Joined Aug 2007
406 Posts
My old DX7 was awesome quality wise, the DX6i on the other not so much.
At my flying field almost all of them have broken trim buttons and/or rollers, not to mention pot issues.
The DX8 was no better in this regard although the roller did seem a bit better.
mongo56 is online now Find More Posts by mongo56
Old Jul 07, 2011, 04:05 AM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo56 View Post
My old DX7 was awesome quality wise, the DX6i on the other not so much.
At my flying field almost all of them have broken trim buttons and/or rollers, not to mention pot issues.
The DX8 was no better in this regard although the roller did seem a bit better.

That bit scares me the most . Broken switches that I don't use are annoying but they can ultimately be replaced on the cheap. I doubt I would ever venture trying to replace a pot myself.

Edit: woops broken TRIM buttons would be a major issue.
Last edited by Kurpal; Jul 07, 2011 at 04:10 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 04:13 AM
Slovenia
Joined Aug 2007
406 Posts
Not that hard really, I replaced the bushings for bearings on my DX7 and it's pretty straightforward.
I never had issues with the pots even after 3 years of intense usage (the pots were glitch free / no jittering around center).

My DX8 had jitters on the aileron channel from the start, sent it in for range issues (way before the two callbacks), waited a month to get it back and sold it right afterwards.

The Aurora 9 has been glitch free for over half a year now and I'm very very happy with it.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 04:26 AM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
The more I look at transmitters the more annoyed I am with Horizon for no longer having JR be the manufacturer of the Dx7

Right now I have a choice between two bad options, obsolete technology or y quality.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 05:04 AM
Slovenia
Joined Aug 2007
406 Posts
I'm guessing you're stuck with DMS2 receivers?
I was too but switching to another brand really isn't as hard on the wallet as I thought.
Hitec's receivers are reasonably priced and you get integrated voltage telemetry via SPC.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 05:34 AM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo56 View Post
I'm guessing you're stuck with DMS2 receivers?
I was too but switching to another brand really isn't as hard on the wallet as I thought.
Hitec's receivers are reasonably priced and you get integrated voltage telemetry via SPC.
After looking at the pricing on those transmitters and receivers, they certainly seem hard on the pocket book.

I mainly want to stick with DSM2 because of the cheap off branded receivers that are now all over even US distributors - which is how it should be, as it was with 72 mhz, there should be competition.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 06:54 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurpal View Post
The more I look at transmitters the more annoyed I am with Horizon for no longer having JR be the manufacturer of the Dx7

Right now I have a choice between two bad options, obsolete technology or y quality.
Just a point here...

The DX8 did have it's teething pains... I think everyone can agree on that. But I wouldn't generalize all Spektrum TX's as questionable quality.

My DX8 has performed flawlessly for me. Never had a glitch, pots were great right from day one. I also had a DX6i and it served me faithfully for 2 years. I never broke a trim switch or the roller. Both are rock solid radio's... at least for me.

As for the DX7...

It's a great radio (never owned one myself tho). It can still be used with both old (DSM2) and new DSMX RX's. If you want, it can be upgraded to DSMX as well so it's not really obsolete.... perhaps the best of both worlds?: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=SPMDX7UPG
philipa_240sx is offline Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Old Jul 07, 2011, 07:02 AM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipa_240sx View Post
It's a great radio (never owned one myself tho). It can still be used with both old (DSM2) and new DSMX RX's. If you want, it can be upgraded to DSMX as well so it's not really obsolete.... perhaps the best of both worlds?: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=SPMDX7UPG
I would love to buy one, if they were still manufactured. The problem is that the Dx7 is now discontinued and the replacement will NOT be made by JR - the main reason I would pick that transmitter over the Dx6i. So my only source is to buy a Dx7 second hand, for not much less than they cost new. ($200 shipped new vs about 180-190 shipped used via ebay...)

Now if it was confirmed that the Dx7s was held to higher manufacturing standards than we saw with the Dx6i that was built by a third party, I'd be absolutely all over that transmitter's release date.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 09:55 AM
Joined Jan 2011
745 Posts
Having looked at the various ads for new JR 7 and 8 channel tx, I suspect the layout,components and frames are not the same as used in the 7channel (DX7) .
I will go further - I would bet it is not mfgd by same group as the DX7 .
For those who think this is not possible - I suggest you check out other JR products
These are all excellent products (I use em too) and note they are NOT manufactured in Japan. Malaysia as one example is a source for them
The JR Sport 126 servo made there is an excellent product.
All this talk about JR quality is like talk about Mercedes quality as an example
The current competition in all products has required different approaches to produce competitive products . My 300D is a totally different concept in construction as compared with new ones.
The times they are a changing !
guy hanson is offline Find More Posts by guy hanson
Last edited by guy hanson; Jul 07, 2011 at 10:03 AM.