HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2003, 09:00 AM
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2003
255 Posts
I don't think stability is the major issue - lack of power/duration/range are the first things to solve, and it seems like we are getting closer.

I discovered that there is no problem with the transmitter's range, as it works perfectly with our blue Power Air Surfer. My son likes the Sky Surfer sticks better than the buttons on the PAS's control, so he is using the SS tx exclusively now. Plenty of range with the PAS, so it's definitely the SS reciever/receiver antenna that limits range.
tnkenyon is offline Find More Posts by tnkenyon
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2003, 09:28 PM
Joined Aug 2003
29 Posts
are the wattage motors contra-rotating with matching props?
Aviator is offline Find More Posts by Aviator
Old Dec 01, 2003, 09:37 PM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
The wattage props that I used from the Wattage Lightning were the same on both sides, so were the spares that were included with it. The motors from the Wattage Lightning appear identical left and right.

Hope that helps
ndflicks is offline Find More Posts by ndflicks
Old Dec 13, 2003, 03:37 PM
Two Rivers, WI
Joined Mar 2003
565 Posts
Props

Anybody know where to get some for this wing or what to use as a replacement. I can't find anything on the company for direct replacement. Maybe a gws prop is close? Thanks
ICRSHLTS is offline Find More Posts by ICRSHLTS
Old Dec 13, 2003, 03:59 PM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
If you go to your LHS, they should have some props for Sky Zaps, Swift Flyers and the like. Some of the smaller ones should fit. Take your broken props with you. Worst case scenario, I super glue them back together when the break is clean. Probably seen as a no-no by a lot of people, but works. Just make sure you align them really well and don't glue your finger to the prop!

Bill
ndflicks is offline Find More Posts by ndflicks
Old Jan 14, 2004, 01:15 AM
Always Thinking Diffrent
Manalapan, NJ
Joined Sep 2003
618 Posts
My son loves this little toy, i bought it for my self to see if it really flew and after a few decent flights i gave it to my three year old son he loves it only problem is he forgets to let go of the throttle but other wise he got the hang of flying it. Not bad for $18.00
BlackScorpion is offline Find More Posts by BlackScorpion
Old Jan 15, 2004, 01:35 PM
Joined Jan 2004
251 Posts
scooterdude, your post 64 iirc is pasted below. Please post with how you did this. Did you solder or twist wire to the existing antenna, or take off the old antenna and solder on a new one? How did you route the antenna? What size magnet wire did you use? Thanks.

found the range problem; maybe others have the same problem: apparently after the first several test crashes the batteries jammed the receiver forward breaking a 1 ohm resistor next to the antenna (it did not look broken) but showed OPEN with an ohm meter. I removed it an connected the antenna in its place. Went from 5' range to 100' minimum. I tossed it at night (barely visible) I beleive I have one motor pulling more than the other. Glides straight but turns left during forward power. Maybe I should throw a couple of N20s in it.
kirkpul is offline Find More Posts by kirkpul
Old Jan 15, 2004, 01:38 PM
Joined Jan 2004
251 Posts
Scooterdude, oops, here was your post 69. Same questions as previous post about how you did the antenna.

Another attempt: I extended the antenna to about double its length on the receiver (25-30") of magnet wire; WOW this did make a big difference; almost doubled my range.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 01:52 PM
Anaheim
Joined May 2002
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kirkpul
Scooterdude, oops, here was your post 69. Same questions as previous post about how you did the antenna.

Another attempt: I extended the antenna to about double its length on the receiver (25-30") of magnet wire; WOW this did make a big difference; almost doubled my range.
Yes it did make a difference in the field but I definately did not achieve the 100'+ range during garage bench testing. After several more crashes, made a new air frame out of depron 1/4" which I thinks was a bit on the heavy side, but ater a while I found the increased range still limiting and moved on to something else. It sits on the shelf for now until I have time to fiddle with it some more. Right now I'm flying other things.
scooterdude is offline Find More Posts by scooterdude
Old Jan 15, 2004, 02:10 PM
Joined Jan 2004
251 Posts
Scooterdude, thanks for the info. Did you solder or twist wire to the existing antenna, or take off the old antenna and solder on a new one? How did you route the antenna? What size magnet wire did you use? Thanks.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 02:14 PM
Anaheim
Joined May 2002
160 Posts
I removed the old wire and soldered the new on in its place. Experimented with different routing methods but I found the best range by just letting it hang ( I did not like that, but that's what worked best) you will have to experiment with routing on your own. The magnet wire was 30awg from radioshack you can go on their web site and see that the sell a package of 3 spools for $5. I used the thinnest in the package. Good luck. Let us know if you had success.
scooterdude is offline Find More Posts by scooterdude