HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2003, 03:36 PM
Anaheim
Joined May 2002
160 Posts
Filght report:
winds 5-10MPH gusts - This plane didn't like it. It would hover against the wind which was OK with me, it seemed to want to continue to climb but at about 40-50' the motors would cut out intermittently and once you lose power on this thing; its tough to recover. I think these are range issues w/ rcvr/tx.

Duration: Seemed longer than NICADS I think the original nicads were 120MAH good for about two tosses. With the Etec 250 it seemed to climb faster and I would get about 10 tosses of experimenting with decent power.

Conclusion: This is definately a no-wind wing (no surprise at 2oz). The next challenge for smooth flight will be improving range (I will check my TX batts. next time. At least this time it was fun, stock configuration was frustrating. :-)
scooterdude is offline Find More Posts by scooterdude
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2003, 04:03 PM
Anaheim
Joined May 2002
160 Posts
I extended the antenna on the rxx and the tx. It helped very little. After a couple of crashes my tx/rx range is only about 5 feet. I don't know what happened I'm not sure if it could be interfereance in the area or damage to the RX. I used a freshly charged set of AA batts on the Tx and no help. Oh well, that's too bad it looked like it could have been a decent flyer w/ enough range. This is the 27MHZ unit.
Old Nov 14, 2003, 04:27 PM
Joined Aug 2002
66 Posts
Do they make a 49mhz? I was looking but only saw the 27.

I have some ZipZaps from Radio Shack and found that generically the 49 had 1.5 - 2 times the range as the 27mhz.

--rob
robo456 is offline Find More Posts by robo456
Old Nov 15, 2003, 02:30 AM
Anaheim
Joined May 2002
160 Posts
I found the range problem; maybe others have the same problem: apparently after the first several test crashes the batteries jammed the receiver forward breaking a 1 ohm resistor next to the antenna (it did not look broken) but showed OPEN with an ohm meter. I removed it an connected the antenna in its place. Went from 5' range to 100' minimum. I tossed it at night (barely visible) I beleive I have one motor pulling more than the other. Glides straight but turns left during forward power. Maybe I should throw a couple of N20s in it.
Old Nov 15, 2003, 04:02 AM
United States of Texas
Joined Dec 2001
455 Posts
mine has good range, if nothing else, pulls to the left too.
wallasan10 is offline Find More Posts by wallasan10
Old Nov 17, 2003, 04:49 PM
Anaheim
Joined May 2002
160 Posts
Flight test on the field proved that the actual range was back to the original 30-50' (the broken resistor did improve it from 5') but definately still not acceptable. I am about to give up on this one.

I checked the boxes at Walmart for a 49MHZ version but I could not find one all the boxes were 27MHZ. I think maybe I'll take the money and apply it towards a Airtech Stealth 49MHZ next time.

Let me know if anyone has had success improving the range of the defective ones. It seems there are some out there that work fine.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 05:02 PM
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2003
255 Posts
mine pulls to the right but glides straight - must depend on which motor is stronger. I think the only hope for this thing is to keep the wing and replace everything else - I couldn't get my larger GWS props to fit the tiny motor shafts, maybe I can still figure something out but I doubt it. I think a pair of those wattage lightning motors, bigger props and a small lipo might do it, but then you probably need to replace the receiver too...
tnkenyon is offline Find More Posts by tnkenyon
Old Nov 17, 2003, 10:32 PM
Joined Aug 2002
66 Posts
I think you're all missing the big picture.

This is a 20 dollar toy.

As far as the reception, see my earlier post, half the fun is watching two full grown men running around chasing this thing around the ball field. Heheh.

IMHO, of course.

I dunno, I have two and think they're fun. I didn't expect much from the start, so I wasn't disappointed in the least. I got some laughs, it's a challange to overcome its shortcomings as far as misalignment of the motors, bends, and all. There's so much surface area on the wing, there are literally countless ways to adjust for drag and other factors.

--rob
robo456 is offline Find More Posts by robo456
Old Nov 18, 2003, 04:57 PM
Anaheim
Joined May 2002
160 Posts
Another attempt: I extended the antenna to about double its length on the receiver (25-30") of magnet wire; WOW this did make a big difference; almost doubled my range. i tossed it up in the air and flew for about 5-6 minutes, w/ 250 Etec Lithium / no problem climbing, even got high enough to cut power, glide, full right motor (until death spin), forward power and recover to regain altitude. I almost lost it a couple of times (5-7mph wind, It should be better when it calms down).

Yeah I may have missed the big picture (runing around behind it) and maybe I won't get to enjoy that half of the fun, but I think I'll stick to the flying half. This plane has been great fun; tweaking and experimenting, but that's the part I enjoy. Once I get it to fly well I will probably be bored by it. So it just goes to show you how many defferent aspects of this hobby people can benefit from:

1. tweaking, learning and improving cheap existing designs
2. Just going out and flying
3. runnning around

('')
Last edited by scooterdude; Nov 18, 2003 at 05:34 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 05:21 PM
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2003
255 Posts
Wow - that's a big improvement. Is that a 1s or 2s Etec?
tnkenyon is offline Find More Posts by tnkenyon
Old Nov 18, 2003, 06:35 PM
Anaheim
Joined May 2002
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tnkenyon
Wow - that's a big improvement. Is that a 1s or 2s Etec?
Single cell 3.6volts and half of the weight of the original.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 03:38 AM
United States of Texas
Joined Dec 2001
455 Posts
Ok, I got a 640mah kokam for this thing, now if the wind will just die down
Old Nov 24, 2003, 03:45 AM
United States of Texas
Joined Dec 2001
455 Posts
Removed the switch, hatch, half of the bottom cover and switched conectors to fit my charger. Weight is now 2.02 oz, up from 2.01 oz. A 1/100th of an oz. increase for a 500% increase in mah.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 03:56 AM
United States of Texas
Joined Dec 2001
455 Posts
The down side is that I have a $19 plane with a $13 battery.

well, I guess those numbers are a little bit better than a $45 formosa with a $140 brushless/controler, but, no one will argue that the formosa is not more fun.

Fun for the bucks? We will see, its not like the battery will go to waste, I'll just use it in something else.

This last pic is really bad.
Last edited by wallasan10; Nov 24, 2003 at 03:59 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 08:16 AM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
Here's an idea,

Would adding small winglets or a fin in the center, or maybe messing with the dihedral help with stability? I know the air surfer bipe has a pretty big vert. stabilizer and you can make it enter a spiral easily on purpose, but it recovers quickly with just a tap of power. It's power to weight ratio seems much smaller, and with the kokam in this wing, you wouldn't have to use up all your power getting to altitude. You could make fins out of stripped sturdy board(ultra light), old credit cards, cardboard even, etc...

Also, if the wing its self gets damaged, sturdy board(stripped) should be easy to trace it onto and make a new one, just hot glue the old nacelles and body on and it'd be just like new! Plus with sharpies or craft paint, any color you want... I still think it's a good deal at under 20 bucks just for the "guts".

Just my aeronautically challenged opinion,

Bill in the Delta
ndflicks is offline Find More Posts by ndflicks
Last edited by ndflicks; Nov 24, 2003 at 08:21 AM.