HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2003, 01:46 PM
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2003
255 Posts
I did get to WW at lunch: the box is 27" wide, so wingspan is probably slightly less.

The other plane is called a falcon, branded "Science Tech" and apparently made by a co called Bowen Hill. Has a single high-mounted pusher prop, wide rear/low-mounted swept wings with tip winglets, and a high profile fuselage with a small canard located behind the canopy. Control is a pistol grip thing, hard to tell how it works from the box pictures. No idea what it controls. Says it has a NiMh battery. About $49.
tnkenyon is offline Find More Posts by tnkenyon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2003, 11:58 PM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
falcon

Found one (I think) on eBay, same guy who's selling the Sky Surfer...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2563

Looks kinda neat, control is like a wattage lightning, or so it appears from the pic in the listing...

I'm gonna keep fiddling with my version of that wing... I'll let ya know how it turns out. I keep thinking though, if you have a project or idea that could use diff thrust for control, $18 is not bad at all for the radio equip....

Bill( in the Delta)
ndflicks is offline Find More Posts by ndflicks
Old Oct 05, 2003, 07:10 PM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
sky surfer thingy

I've been playing with this thing over the weekend, went ahead and added a "head" to it to absorb impact as I tend to be a very abusive test driver... turned into this. Looks a lot like a bird when flying, and for some reason, it LOVES wind... I'd guess I'm at about 4 ounces, but that's due to heavy equip... I'm going to hack away some more with black depron and N20 motors with micro gear(still diff thrust for control) and should be able to hit 3 ounces or less. Maybe I'll build a bigger one later as I think this design will thermal well... Just use motors to get up in the air and reposition into the wind. It would look sweet as a bird. It has the tendency to stall/hover when faced directly into a gust, looks really cool... Anyway, that's my two cents...

Have a good week, all...

Bill
Old Oct 06, 2003, 08:13 AM
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2003
255 Posts
Interesting bird - does look like it would thermal.

And yes, that is the WallyWorld Falcon I saw. Isn't the Wattage Lightning controlled by differential thrust? The falcon only has one motor, so it must have a rudder, although I couldn't see it on the box.
Old Oct 06, 2003, 09:36 AM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
falcon schmalcon

Sorry, I meant the controller looked like the one from a Wattage Lightning. I confuse myself sometimes. Problem with the canard one, is like some of the Aerobird type planes, they can get swept up fairly easy and are so light that they disappear rather quickly. with no elevator to descend with, you can only let off the throttle and hope for the best to get back down. Kinda neat looking design though, and I'll bet it would be fun to play with. Seems they are really coming down in price too!

Bill
Old Oct 06, 2003, 11:01 AM
Joined Jan 2003
198 Posts
Uhhh.... The Aerobird has elevator control and can be dove (or spiraled) out of thermals or the wind.

ABII
aerobirdtoo is offline Find More Posts by aerobirdtoo
Old Oct 06, 2003, 01:06 PM
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2003
255 Posts
There are many 2-channel versions that don't have elevator function, only rudder and throttle. You are correct tho about the orange 3-channel version.
Old Oct 06, 2003, 01:47 PM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
open mouth, insert foot

Ok, I meant those two channel R/C's(you have to admit, they do look alike) I didn't mean the 3 channel ones. But I DID say "those Aerobird type ones" not specifically Aerobird, sorry if I offended any of the 3 channel Aerobird owners out there.

Anyway, back to the sky surfer, anyone have any more info on them, how they fly, mods?
Last edited by ndflicks; Oct 06, 2003 at 01:50 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2003, 05:37 PM
Joined Sep 2001
136 Posts
How does that thing fly with the bird head add-on? The yellow bumper seems to be plenty shock-absorbent for me.

How did you eliminate the yellow-black flame pattern (or is it just upside down?) It would look cool as a solid white bird - I can stall it pretty well in the wind, too and a white robo gull would fit right in on the breezy shore lines. Put a dash of red paint on the "beak" and the juvenile gulls will swamp it for a feeding!

Has anyone come up w/ a lipoly configuration that works good?
lad3 is offline Find More Posts by lad3
Last edited by lad3; Nov 09, 2003 at 05:39 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2003, 07:14 PM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
Actually it flies well... It's not one of the planes from walmart though. I live in the middle of nowhere and the walmarts here don't carry them. I scratch built a copy, decided it looked kind of bird-ish, and put the bird head and body on it. Then I rebuilt it specifically as a bird with minor modification. Looks a bit better now. It flies AMAZINGLY well, especially for a "differential thrust" plane. If you get some sturdy board, strip it, and trace the original onto it, you can paint it however you want... I think if you added some of the sharp angles like gull wings, it would look even more gull-like. The E-tec 2 cell 700mah should fit the bill nicely... at just over an ounce it would really lighten the wing up... The E-tec 1200 2 cell is about 2 ounces(I assume it's closer to the stock battery weight) and should give you awesome duration.

Just some thoughts...

Bill in the Delta
Old Nov 10, 2003, 08:56 AM
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2003
255 Posts
I finally got a Sky Surfer for my son, not very impressed. A good wing design , but very underpowered. Won't climb much, and has a right turn that I can't get rid of. It glides straight but circles right under power. I even tried to move the motors to put some left into it with no luck. Battery life is miniscule, even when charged on my GWS charger. Was thinking of sticking some bigger props on it, if the motors burn up so what. Only reason I didn't take it back was that my son still likes it even if it doesn't fly well. I also got a Power Air Surfer form KBToys.com of $25, and it flys much better. Haven't got much flight time with it yet but it has lots of potential as the huge thread elsewhere attests.
Old Nov 10, 2003, 10:13 AM
Joined Aug 2002
66 Posts
Does anyone have the stock number??

Thanks!

--rob
robo456 is offline Find More Posts by robo456
Old Nov 10, 2003, 10:44 AM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
With the Air Surfer, they had good luck "massaging" the reflex in the tips of the wings... In fact it seems to be the single most recommended "mod" in that whole thread... I read it front to back, lol... Since it's the same wing design, I'd guess it would work.

Bill
Old Nov 10, 2003, 11:01 AM
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2003
255 Posts
yes, the Air Surfer porpises badly if you don't reducet the upward bend in the wingtips. However, it does climb pretty well and is quite controllable, I have only flow it in stiff winds and it worked pretty well. The SKY surfer is just too weak to do much, circles a few feet off the ground and eventually hits the ground. Not very controllable. I have messed extensively with the wingtips (to where it dives left on glide), but it is the motor torque I think that causes it to turn.
Old Nov 10, 2003, 11:17 AM
Joined Aug 2002
66 Posts
CONFIRMED:

Wal-Mart - Union, NJ (next to Home Depot on Route 22)

Item #99901 - R/C SKY SURFER
Department 49
$17.94

They have about 10 or so left as of this post. They are up by the "Vision Center" by the electric guitars and telescopes on the floor.

For 18 bucks, why not? Heh.

--rob
robo456 is offline Find More Posts by robo456
Last edited by robo456; Nov 10, 2003 at 11:21 AM.