SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 20, 2003, 02:16 PM
Outside of the box
Joined Aug 2003
9 Posts
The fuse chunk and nacelles look strikingly similar to the ones used on the Ex-ec Diversion, which is another differential thrust bird with a CF boom and typical empennage. It sells for something like $60.00-$80.00 so considering you have about 80% of that plane for 18 bucks, that's a fairly good deal...definitely an experimental airframe in order for those guts!

-rhcpd
rhcpd is offline Find More Posts by rhcpd
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2003, 08:07 AM
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2003
255 Posts
Interesting stuff - glad someone tried it. Maybe a bit too finicky/fragile for my son, thinking that the air surfer on sale at 19.95 on kbtoys is the way to go for him.
tnkenyon is offline Find More Posts by tnkenyon
Old Sep 24, 2003, 09:38 PM
Cedar Creek NC
Joined May 2003
29 Posts
I just bought one for my 8 year old today. After his (and mine) homework was done we cycled the batteries a couple of times and went out just before dusk and I took the maiden flight. I got 1 and a half figure eight out of it before the batteries were to weak. Gave it a recharge and handed it over to my son and he was also able to fly it without to many problems. we found that if you held a turn in for to long it will snap in but since its so lite no damage!! after another flight or two he was turning smoothly by"pulseing" the directional controil instead of holding it..BIG IMPROVEMENT! he was doing a pretty good job flying and i have to go get another for myselff now!.. a larger capacity battery is needed for sure, but the tweaking is half the fun!! I may have found something to keep him away from his playstation for a while!
harbinger1 is offline Find More Posts by harbinger1
Old Sep 25, 2003, 08:30 AM
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2003
255 Posts
If the stock battery is about .5 oz, then a single 640 or 700 lipoly cell would weigh about the same. Or, you could try a 2s 340 lipoly pack which would weigh a little more but would add alot of kick (either that or fry the motors). How's about 2 x IPS motors on this thing with a 1020 lipoly pack??
Old Sep 25, 2003, 11:28 AM
Deland FL
Joined Jan 2003
284 Posts
Single cell lipo is the only way to go with the stock electronics. I think 7.4 v would probably fry it instantly. Even if it didn't, the motors would probably burn up quick.

I have made mine into a pusher with stock electrics and a 850 lipo up front. I didn't get a chance to fly it yet though as I smoked transistor on the rx board. I was dumb and didn't tape up the solder joints when I switched polarity on the motors. One shorted and cooked the transistor. Other side still works.

Assuming I can successfully repair the transistor, I'll have it flying soon. If not, I will probably throw out the stock electronics and make it a mini-zagi with a single IPS and elevons (RFFS-100). The wife will love that. A $200 - $18 plane. Ha!

John
jms336 is offline Find More Posts by jms336
Old Oct 01, 2003, 11:12 PM
Joined Sep 2001
136 Posts
teeny surfer burn out?

OK, so I read these posts and ran out and got one (almost didn't - they're stacked by the door and didn't see'em 'til on my way out).
Anway, it's no powerhouse, esp. in even the slightest wind. So, it was very calm this afternoon, and I managed to stick some teeny stripped wires into the battery plug from my charger. It got warm fast but no peak was detected. It flew very straight and gentle for once in the calm air. But really didn't last any longer than a charge from the transmitter. So I re-charged the batts off the transmitter and it got a little warm. But no-go. The prop wouldn't budge. Maybe I pulled some delicate wire when re-inserting the thing. I don't know if i have the patience to poke around inside that little space. Too bad I couldn't flown it once indoors in a gym or something, that would have been some real, budget fun.
lad3 is offline Find More Posts by lad3
Old Oct 02, 2003, 03:05 PM
Columbia Regional, Missouri, United States
Joined Dec 2002
726 Posts
ME TOO!!

Could'nt pass on $18.....
I cycled the batts twice. got 3 min. Cut out behind the props 3/8 in. smoothed the nacels, oiled the motor's charged the batts. on the TX. Added an extra 30 seconds. Got no extra heat..Got a better initial climb that lasted longer...NO WIND......
Best fun $18 in a long time..
PHIL I.
phil I. is offline Find More Posts by phil I.
Old Oct 03, 2003, 04:50 AM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
sky(not air) surfer

Are these made by Hasbro, like the air surfer? They don't have em at the Wal-Marts around here(however, we're just now getting shoes that ya lace yerself- ahelk ahelk) I haven't had any luck finding info on them online, I keep getting sent to this Sky Wolf thingy, which isn't terrible.... Any help would be appreciated... P.S. John, if you don't have a very tiny tip or a very small soldering iron and a steady hand, consider getting a de-soldering tool to save yourself some aggravation when messing with those teeny tiny joints.

Bill in the Delta
ndflicks is offline Find More Posts by ndflicks
Old Oct 03, 2003, 07:10 AM
Deland FL
Joined Jan 2003
284 Posts
I thought Arkansas was Wal-Mart Central!

Mine had them hiding up on a top shelf and it took all of my 6 feet to reach it. Ages 8 and up, right!

A word of warning for anyone thinking of making this into a pusher: There is a diode on the motors that will need to be removed to do this. I am afraid I cooked my electronics by not doing this. Probably best to leave it stock and maybe get a small lipoly and call it good.

John
Old Oct 03, 2003, 07:58 AM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
are-kin-sawl

Right you are!! Bentonville(N. Ark) is the home of the big Shrine of Sam... However, ít's really odd that we seem to be last to get anything new on the shelves in this state, lol... with the exception of test market stuff like Sam's Choice Vanilla Cola. I did find out the manufacturer of the wing finally, it's Turbo Tec... I think I'm just gonna build one since I have access to Depron and Sturdy Board and not a Sky Surfer!!!. I also have the guts to some of those "differential thrust" flyers. Anyone have a preference between pusher or stock set up? I would imagine with the forward position of the props/motors, and the motor bodies being back toward the middle, the stock configuration might be best... Anywho, I made a template and will cut one out later and try it. Can anyone tell me where the C.o.G. is on these? Thanks and regards,

Now if you'll excuse me, it's a calm morning and I'm off to the yard/field to buzz the dog with micro/mini's

Bill in the Delta
Old Oct 03, 2003, 08:13 AM
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2003
255 Posts
In my store they are stacked by the front door, beyond the checkout (why they do this I haven't a clue - to make them easier to steal?). They are there with telescopes, electric guitars, etc. You only see them as you walk out of the store. I still want someone to try the other RC plane they had in that stack (more like $50 tho). Weird looking canard thing... They are definitely not online.
Old Oct 03, 2003, 08:14 AM
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2003
255 Posts
oh yeah - you are right, Turbo Tec of Hong Kong is the manufacturer - couldn't find them online.
Old Oct 03, 2003, 08:30 AM
Deland FL
Joined Jan 2003
284 Posts
CG is on the front of the motor nacelle. I think a pusher config. is best, as the mid wing arrangement disrupts the lift with all that turbulence. Just a theory.

John
Old Oct 03, 2003, 10:50 AM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
sky surfer

I know of the telescope/metal detector section of which you speak... 'Round these parts, I reckon they'd be at them there big city stores... Maybe I'll have to take a lil trip. When I drew up my wing based on the two pictures, it seems awful small... I ended up making it a 30"wingspan and it's about a foot long at the center. seems tiny to me... any thoughts? Measurements? I do have an air surfer carcass(believe me, that thing took FOREVER to kill!) and it's probably my best bet for parts.... It was a pusher too...

Any luck getting another capacitor, or have you checked to see what it's protecting and bypassed it?

Bill(flying laps in the cotton fields) in the Delta
Old Oct 03, 2003, 10:57 AM
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2003
255 Posts
I recall it being more like 24" span. May pass thru WallyWorld at lunch so I'll check.