Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 31, 2003, 05:35 PM
Eden NY
Joined Sep 2001
540 Posts
Using a US (72Mhz) Eclipse in Italy/Europe?

This is a question for Mike specifically, but European users (especially in Italy) may know as well.

I may be spending a month in Italy soon for work. I know I'll suffer from withdraw if I can't fly something while I'm there. I'd hate to have to buy something just for the short time I'm there. Can I buy a Spectra module (35Mhz band I think) that I can swap with the 72Mhz one in my Eclipse and use it with a new receiver? Or must I send it to Hitec for a modification? Or should I just break down and buy something (an in-expensive 4-6 channel one) there and just take some airplanes? Or should I just admit defeat and plan to do a lot of G2 simulator flying?

Thanks for any input,
-Eric
ohmite is offline Find More Posts by ohmite
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2003, 10:33 AM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,190 Posts
You can't get a Spectra but you could get a fixed channel module on the proper band and a receiver to go along with it and you're good to go.

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Old Sep 02, 2003, 10:37 AM
Eden NY
Joined Sep 2001
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeMayberry
You can't get a Spectra but you could get a fixed channel module on the proper band and a receiver to go along with it and you're good to go.

Mike.
Thanks Mike!
Can I get the proper band module from Hitec in the US or do I need to order one from an Italian Hobby shop? Do I need to do anything with the transmitter antenna or the US & European extended lengths identical?

-Eric
Old Sep 17, 2003, 07:31 AM
...thermal ? ...where ?
Torino, Italy
Joined Oct 2001
295 Posts
Re: Using a US (72Mhz) Eclipse in Italy/Europe?

Quote:
Originally posted by ohmite
This is a question for Mike specifically, but European users (especially in Italy) may know as well.
I may be spending a month in Italy soon for work. I know I'll suffer from withdraw if I can't fly something while I'm there. I'd hate to have to buy something just for the short time I'm there. Can I buy a Spectra module (35Mhz band I think) that I can swap with the 72Mhz one in my Eclipse and use it with a new receiver? Or must I send it to Hitec for a modification? Or should I just break down and buy something (an in-expensive 4-6 channel one) there and just take some airplanes? Or should I just admit defeat and plan to do a lot of G2 simulator flying?
Thanks for any input,
-Eric
Well, recently 35Mhz has been introduced also in Italy, usually we fly 40Mhz.
http://www.fiamaero.it/radiolib.htm

You should also have an approved radio equipment.
Check this:
http://www.aereomodellismo.org/comun...frequenze.html
http://www.gatrentino.it/normativaradio.htm

If you will fly here in a small club (like the one I frequent) usually they are not so restrictive about frequencies, some guys are still flying with 72Mhz, and they are happy as they report less interferences than others.
I know in France they fly with 41Mhz.
My suggestion is that you wait to be here and see at the club, then you can decide if you need to buy radio+++
Unfortunately our hobby is not so popular here, so there are not so many big stores, and usually small ones are quite expensive (compared to the rest of the world!).
You can buy at www.jonathan.it or http://www.fulcroservice.it then you have to phone them, and in this case I think you need someone speaking Italian.

Where will you go ? I'd be glad to help.
Emanuele is offline Find More Posts by Emanuele
Old Sep 17, 2003, 10:53 AM
Eden NY
Joined Sep 2001
540 Posts
Re: Re: Using a US (72Mhz) Eclipse in Italy/Europe?

Quote:
Originally posted by Emanuele

Where will you go ? I'd be glad to help.
Emanuele,
Thank you for all of the information. Subsequent to this earlier post, I was able to contact Mr. Sandro Foti of the Mach Aurora club in Milano. He has been helping me with this as well. I will be staying in Varese. Mr. Foti also provided me with a contact of the local Varese clubs as well. I plan to bring my Eclipse with me and a couple of models. I will try to use the existing 72Mhz Synthesized module. If it does not work out, I will purchase a 40Mhz module and receiver while I'm there, I understand they can be swapped out directly.

I am not familiar enough with the geography of Italy, is Torino close to Varese or Milano? If so I will try to look you up. Mr. Foti has invited me to come to their flying site, I'll have quite a bit of free time while I'm there when I'm not working (no family along) ;-).

Thanks again,
-Eric
Old Sep 18, 2003, 04:21 AM
...thermal ? ...where ?
Torino, Italy
Joined Oct 2001
295 Posts
Good !

I just sent an e-mail to you.

btw, this is the map, Torino-Varese about 150km.
Emanuele is offline Find More Posts by Emanuele
Last edited by Emanuele; Sep 18, 2003 at 04:31 AM.