HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2011, 02:23 PM
Joined Jul 2011
6 Posts
Question
Buying a mCP x... now what?

So i had a co axial, didnt like it at all, it was so easy, couldnt do much. After much deliberation and discussion i have decided on a blade mcp x and either a futaba or spektrum 7 or 8ch.

Now once i get the heli... then what... what kind of set up is involved before first flight?
dten is offline Find More Posts by dten
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2011, 03:02 PM
banging head on wall
Joined Feb 2010
1,199 Posts
If you go with futaba you will have to buy a spektrum module for it before you can use it with the dsm2 MCPx. With the spektrum radios it's a direct plug and play system just set up radio per instructions that come with the heli then just charge the battery and then bind and fly. hope this helps
skyeblu is online now Find More Posts by skyeblu
Old Jul 06, 2011, 03:20 PM
MD, USA
Joined Oct 2006
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dten View Post
Now once i get the heli... then what... what kind of set up is involved before first flight?
Very minimal. I have a DX8 and downloaded the settings from Horizon, put on an SD card, imported into the transmitter, and I was off! Mid stick was zero pitch, that's all I checked.
squeky is offline Find More Posts by squeky
Old Jul 06, 2011, 03:27 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,381 Posts
Horizon is getting factory setups pretty close. My 120SR required absolutely zero trim. It can't be counted upon 100% though. Inspect closely that head positions and motions are appropriate.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jul 06, 2011, 03:29 PM
United States, MO, St Peters
Joined Apr 2011
412 Posts
It flies out of the box, bind to Tx and add settings. You may have vibration issues, see below.

If your thinking upgrades or mods, the metal swash gets rid of some vibration, and the links won't come off as easy. Also on mine, the plastic swash bearing kept coming out after a couple weeks, so that was a no brainer. The grommet mod helps get rid of some of the shakes if you have problems. The batteries are lacking in my opinion, not enough juice to keep tail authority under heavy load. I bought a few of the new Hyperion 250mah, it's on their website, they help quite a bit.

Also, make sure your blades are fairly tight, else tracking will be off and cause vibrations. The only other thing to look out for is the main rotor gear sliding down after a crash or hard landing, just push it back up so it's snug. The symptom is heavy vibrations at mid pitch
sirs69 is offline Find More Posts by sirs69
Old Jul 06, 2011, 03:43 PM
Joined Jul 2011
6 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/Spektrum-DX8-8CH...-/400226372648

Is this pretty good? It's not the only on but one of the cheaper ones. Will any spektrum dx8 do the job? I keep seeing them listed as dx8 dsmx dsm mode 2 etc...?

Thanks a ton by the way
Old Jul 06, 2011, 03:56 PM
MD, USA
Joined Oct 2006
227 Posts
Quote:

Is this pretty good? It's not the only on but one of the cheaper ones. Will any spektrum dx8 do the job? I keep seeing them listed as dx8 dsmx dsm mode 2 etc...?

Thanks a ton by the way
Yes, the DX8 is a very good transmitter. You can also look at a DX6i or DX7 (new one coming soon). There was a recent recall on them, something to think about if buying from EBay. If you buy from Horizon, you'll get a free 8 channel receiver.

I don't know your location, but in the US most use Mode 2. Mode 1 has the throttle/collective on the right, Mode 2 it is on the left. DSMX is Spektrum's newest 2.4GHz "protocol", backwards compatible with DSM2. I have the DX8 with DSM2, never bothered to upgrade to X.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 03:56 PM
banging head on wall
Joined Feb 2010
1,199 Posts
Quote:

Thanks a ton by the way
The dsmx is spektrums newest technology and is compatable with dsm2 and the mode 2 is throttle on left stick if you are from the states mode 2 is our stanard show up anywhere with mode1 throttle on left stick and not many could fly your model. So depending on your country make sure you buy the mode 1 or 2 that is used in you homeland.
skyeblu is online now Find More Posts by skyeblu
Old Jul 06, 2011, 03:57 PM
Joined Apr 2011
412 Posts
Any spectrum DX6i and higher will work. I have the DX6i, and had no need for a higher end model yet. The DX6i holds 10 models and 2 custom mixes, the DX8 has a bunch more. Mode 2 is what you want.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 05:49 PM
Joined Jul 2011
6 Posts
Whats a good sim? I have fms with a usb controller i got for like 30 bucks :P. Will this pretty much do it? I have downloaded a mess of models too, lookin for mcp x and trex 450 models if anyone has a link, thatd be dope. I'll be gettin a dx8 pretty soon, LHS has mcp x but for like 220, i know i could do better online.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 06:26 PM
Joined Apr 2011
412 Posts
$220 sounds like the RTF version, you would want the BNF version since your getting a DX8, which is about $180.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 09:00 AM
MD, USA
Joined Oct 2006
227 Posts
Quote:
Whats a good sim? I have fms with a usb controller i got for like 30 bucks :P. Will this pretty much do it? I have downloaded a mess of models too, lookin for mcp x and trex 450 models if anyone has a link, thatd be dope. I'll be gettin a dx8 pretty soon, LHS has mcp x but for like 220, i know i could do better online.
Phoenix or RealFlight. FMS will teach you the minimal basics. I would say you don't really need a sim with the mCPX, it is a sim in its own way. If you plan on getting any other helis, I'd highly recommend Phoenix. A good sim is worth every penny.

The prices on E-Flite stuff is pretty much fixed across the board. You won't be able to do much better online, if at all. And compare apples to apples, they have both BNF and RTF versions (you want BNF).
Old Jul 07, 2011, 09:27 AM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
If you go with Phoenix (and I would wholeheartedly recommend you do) then have a word with our resident trainer CaptJack for free online lessons.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1234396
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
Old Jul 07, 2011, 09:28 AM
Umm what just flew off my ship
Joined Jan 2010
1,016 Posts
+1 for the Phoenix. I think its a much better sim. Take the mCPX out and fly it like you stole it. Unlike other Helicopters a Bad Crash may only cost 20 bucks in repair stuff. Most of the time you just pop the blade links back on and off you go again. There is a thread trick you can do to keep from loosing your blade links..... It will also work with the DX5... however you cannot tune the flight characteristics and it tends to blow out the tail on hard collective manuvers..... can still be done but forces you to learn collective mgmt...
The MCPx the next R/L simulator LOL
GhostFlyer1 is offline Find More Posts by GhostFlyer1
Old Jul 07, 2011, 04:37 PM
Joined Jan 2011
378 Posts
The MCX2 is a neat little Heli. I have had mine since Christmas and haven't bought any parts for it and I have crashed I'm just always quick to get off the throttle where it doesn't beat itself to death.

I took it on vacation instead of my larger Heli's just for convenience and not knowing what kind of flying area I would have.

Sometimes a hard crash will slide its tiny motors out of place and it won't spin up. All you have to do is take the cowling off and slide the motors back into place. One is high and one is low. A little dab of glue is what actually holds them in place.

One thing I like to do with the MCX2 is trim it on purpose where it won't hover in one place hands off to make it more challenging like a Collective pitch Heli. Have fun.
Bladecpnitro is online now Find More Posts by Bladecpnitro