SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 31, 2003, 01:14 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Aug 2003
468 Posts
Any Corona build hints, something you wish you'd done?

Going to start building mine today, after I pick it up. Been collecting photos and info from lots of the Corona threads. But how about things you wish you'd done in retrospect, things that are good/convenient and easy to do when first building, harder to do later? Thanks.

Or is there already a Corona building hints thread that I missed??

My gear will be Mega motor with Phoenix 35, Electron 6 RX, GY240, 2 of HS-81MG's and 1 standard HS-81, Voyager E gear, 7-cell packs.
CraigF is offline Find More Posts by CraigF
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2003, 01:40 PM
Golf pig
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2003
800 Posts
The instructions for the build are very good. I had no problems.

I think you made the right move with the Voyager gear. It's pretty cramped with the battery in the canopy, and a pain to get it on and off all the time. You may need to make a modified rear gear support, depending which version of the crutch you get. Here's the thread with a diagram for the modified support. http://rcgroups.com/forums/showthrea...er+gear+crutch

Be sure to use airplane dope on the crutch, not paint. It really makes it strong.

I did buy a blade balancer and found it FAR easier to balance the blades than when they were mounted on the ship.

What part of Ontario are you in? I'm in Ottawa.
Kilroy is offline Find More Posts by Kilroy
Old Aug 31, 2003, 01:51 PM
Sitka, Alaska
Joined Mar 2001
248 Posts
Make sure you take extra care taking the flashing off the head and tail assemblies. Other than that the directions are great.

Good luck

Lucas
Lucas in Alaska is offline Find More Posts by Lucas in Alaska
Old Aug 31, 2003, 02:11 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Aug 2003
468 Posts
OK, thanks. Haven't seen the instructions yet...soon.

One thing I usually do, when building other flying stuff, is give plywood a coat of finishing epoxy. This stuff is very light, seals the wood for a good paint finish (I guess not too important on the crutch??) but more importantly helps prevent chipping and fracturing a bit. I also use the finishing epoxy coat to hold in blind nuts, if there's an opportunity to use them.

Kilroy, I'm in Pickering, a bit east of Toronto. Are you saying the finishing epoxy is not a good idea here? I usually use dope (with a layer of silkspan) to strengthen balsa, but the finishing epoxy on plywood.

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm another satisfied Roffee's customer. I ordered all my Corona stuff from Mike, including an Eclipse/Spectra TX. He mailed it last Saturday at the earliest, and it's here already in Canada, actually got here on Friday, but I only found out late last night. Less than a week to get through Customs etc. is easily a new record for me from the U.S.
Last edited by CraigF; Aug 31, 2003 at 02:16 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 02:28 PM
Hooked Heli Human
Western NC
Joined Dec 2002
1,556 Posts
CraigF.. sweet.. Mike Roffee knows his stuff... here.. take a look at the .pdf manual of the Corona.. get a head start on reading..

following the manual to a "T" and your corona will be fine.. if any questions feel free to ask here in the forum..

http://www.litemachines.com/Downlds/Corona_Manual.pdf

Good Luck..

Dave
gmaster is offline Find More Posts by gmaster
Old Aug 31, 2003, 02:43 PM
Golf pig
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2003
800 Posts
I don't know about the epoxy, I doped mine and I am impressed with it's strength. I know just painting it would not be as strong and the manual says to paint or dope, that's all.

You should have a look at www.greathobbies.com
They are in Charolettown PEI. Canadian company, good prices, most stuff in stock, quick shipping, and no duties or PST since you are out of province to them. The no PST usually saves more than the shipping. Contact Gary Stephen garys@greathobbies.com I buy everything from him except paints and stuff like that.
Last edited by Kilroy; Aug 31, 2003 at 02:46 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 03:30 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Aug 2003
468 Posts
Yes, agree that Great Hobbies has equal prices to everybody in the U.S. for us, if you consider taxes/shipping/everything. Some of their prices are even cheaper. They also sell everything that I bought from Roffee's (except the Mega), BUT...they had NOTHING that I wanted in stock last week, and didn't specify a for-sure in-stock date. Whereas Roffee's had everything in stock. I did order a pack and a Super Brain 969 charger from GH...nobody else I tried at the time had the charger in stock anyway.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 03:34 PM
Golf pig
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2003
800 Posts
Wow, every time I have ordered anything it was in stock. Don't give up on them!
Old Aug 31, 2003, 09:24 PM
Bensalem, PA.
Joined Sep 2001
478 Posts
I found the instructions absolutely the best and this kit really makes a great flying electric FP heli with no mods. I did use a Mega 16/15/3 and a CC 35 amp ESC.

It flew right off the board!

Gil
Gil Weiss is offline Find More Posts by Gil Weiss
Old Aug 31, 2003, 10:59 PM
Honolulu Intl, Hawaii, United States
Joined Feb 2003
1,502 Posts
Putting on the rear extension for your Voyager landing gear is a bit easier to do before you put everything on the crutch...

Spray can paint is just fine for the crutch however if I did it again and I might, I'd use dope or something else instead, for me, just for aesthetic reasons and the nice smooth finish...
Astro30 is offline Find More Posts by Astro30
Old Aug 31, 2003, 11:43 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
The new ones have an extended rear LG mount already!
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Sep 01, 2003, 03:16 AM
Joined Feb 2003
1,502 Posts
really? cool, so the new lg's little different?
Old Sep 01, 2003, 07:13 AM
United States, VA, Warrenton
Joined Apr 2001
1,148 Posts
The new Corona crutches do have an extended rear bracket so that the length of the front and rear landing gear wires are now the same, but it still isn't long enough according to some people. See Wright Flyer's post in this thread:

http://rcgroups.com/forums//showthre...hreadid=143834
Ninjak2k is offline Find More Posts by Ninjak2k
Old Sep 01, 2003, 08:38 AM
Bensalem, PA.
Joined Sep 2001
478 Posts
Where are you guys buying the Voyager gear?

Gil
Gil Weiss is offline Find More Posts by Gil Weiss
Old Sep 01, 2003, 09:11 AM
Joined Feb 2003
1,502 Posts
couple of places that should have them is www.horizonhobby.com

www.roffeetvhobby.com