SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 05, 2011, 02:15 PM
No,no,no a MUSIC gig
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,625 Posts
Discussion
Did You REALLY Enjoy Your Military Service ?

Did You REALLY Enjoy Your Military Service ?

Now I would like to hear if others see it this way. When I signed up with the military, I was stupid enough to agree I kill and even more stupid to say I would die for others.

Now I spent my life with a leash around my neck, a gun at my head and a syringe at my arm, and a bunch of paranoid people afraid of me. I won't mention the rediculous things I coinstantly go through to satisfy someone (? who ?) that I will not go berserk. They never seem satisfied.
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Jul 05, 2011, 02:25 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
I don't remember promising to kill or die for anyone when I signed up. This was the oath I took:

Quote:
I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.
Nothing about killing or dying in there. YMMV.

FWIW, if you speak the way you post on LTUP, maybe it's the rambling and incoherent content which makes people uneasy around you.
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Jul 05, 2011, 02:26 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,261 Posts
I don't know if "enjoy" is the word I would use.
realtimerecon is online now Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Jul 05, 2011, 02:30 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,261 Posts
As Patton would say.You win a war by making the other dumb die for his county.
realtimerecon is online now Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Jul 05, 2011, 02:31 PM
No,no,no a MUSIC gig
Joined Sep 2006
8,625 Posts
It's only some words for the wise who learn quickly. Hang out at the VA some day and look at what comes and goes , often with artificial limbs and skull caps.

I'm not going back there if I don't have to.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 02:41 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
10 years in the USCG (R) which I enjoyed immensely.
Never killed anyone but got to be a part of saving a lot of lives at the operational level (Boat Crew).
Obviously never got killed but had a few close scrapes. Those were also fun.....in hindsight.
Real Ira is online now Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Jul 05, 2011, 03:03 PM
No,no,no a MUSIC gig
Joined Sep 2006
8,625 Posts
The Coast Guard seems ok, more like a policeman. You could have had to be on a boarding party, a dangerous situation in addition to the sea conditions.

You would think lots of people would make my assumption by watching war movies, and many other media presentations.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 03:07 PM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2005
1,038 Posts
It had it's moments, but overall, I enjoyed it. +1 to thunder1 for his comments.
Twizter68 is offline Find More Posts by Twizter68
Old Jul 05, 2011, 03:16 PM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,321 Posts
didn't always enjoy it while i was in but looking back it was all great fun. got to blow stuff up, shoot at stuff and other folks with all kinds of gnarly hardware, get into all kinds of hairy situations and barely escape alive. i wouldn't dare do it again today but for an 18 year old it was an awesome trip.
ZAGNUT is offline Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Jul 05, 2011, 03:52 PM
FrankC
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
499 Posts
I mostly enjoyed my time in the Army. I enjoyed the job I was trained for, a type of meteorology, but the rest of the day kinda stunk. There are only so many bushes you can trim, and buildings you can paint, and other people's cigarette butts you can pick up, before you decide to go back to school.
FrankC is online now Find More Posts by FrankC
Last edited by FrankC; Jul 05, 2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 03:53 PM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba Canada
Joined Sep 2003
733 Posts
Training courses were a heck of a lot of fun. Mess hall dances and everything that followed were pretty good times, all things considered.
Sport Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sport Flyer
Old Jul 05, 2011, 04:01 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
112 Posts
A definite YES!

I was unique in that I was already 8 years into a promising civilian career in IT, had an active social life, shared a townhouse with a buddy, had a flashy hopped-up VW and a 21 foot sailboat and was attending community college for an AA degree in technology. The local women seemed to line at the dock every weekend for a hopeful sailing date.

Once I decided to pursue my education past the 2 year level I looked at my options and decided a stint in the military as an officer could really jump-start my career. I transferred to a highly regarded private business university, enrolled in AFROTC and gave up the townhouse and social life to pay for tuition @ $410/semester hour (Big bucks back in the '70s.) Worked full time and studyied full time. No partying.

First military assignment was in a Booz-Allen office on-base working on office automation project then in 2 years transferred to a large MITRE complex off-base dong the heavy-duty program management stuff on strategic information systems.

The 2 years I put the social life "on-hold" while finishing school was more than made up for in a hurry when I got on active duty. Found out the volunteer military was full of young, intelligent and amazingly attractive female officers. Boston, being the world's largest college town also offered a young bachelor Lt many "opportunities" to learn the local culture. I wound up marrying one of those female officers I met toward the end of my 5 years on active duty.

I learned acquisition management, worked with some of the superstars of federal IT (Vince Cerf, Robert Kahn and Grace Hopper), earned an MBA in the evenings and spent basically 5 years learning about early-American history.

Was on leave-of-absence from my civilian employer for a maxium of 5 years so went back to Seattle with new wife and started a family.
Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor
Old Jul 05, 2011, 04:30 PM
No,no,no a MUSIC gig
Joined Sep 2006
8,625 Posts
Well, you just can't let that strong military face fool you. I can see it scares a lot of people. It's mostly developed from hard training and determination. Most are very proud of the ability to bear the power and not abuse it.
Sure I made those pledges. Sometimes I have my doubts.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 04:30 PM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizter68 View Post
It had it's moments, but overall, I enjoyed it. +1 to thunder1 for his comments.
Ditto!

Stayed for 22 years; must have been some enjoyment to it. Miss the camaraderie - the being deployed part? Not so much.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Jul 05, 2011, 04:54 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemajor View Post
enrolled in AFROTC
Is that only for Blacks ?.

Quote:
Boston, being the world's largest college town also offered a young bachelor Lt many "opportunities" to learn the local culture.

I learned acquisition management

How to acquire women, or how not to acquire STDs ?.

Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee