HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by gluemaster, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 08:21 AM
Cub-O-Holic
Deltona, FL
Joined Dec 2006
587 Posts
Discussion
Fresh Outside

So my Great Planes Lancair ES ep was one of my favorite planes. After I upgraded the power system it truely became a sweetheart to fly. I had decided a couple of years ago that I would one day like to change the color of the fuselage and wingtips. Well after a screwed up touch and go on Sunday, yesterday was the day. After I got the nose gear straightened out and the horizontal stab fixed I decided it was time to paint it. I had picked up three cans of Colors by Boyd made by Testors at Wal-Mart on clearance. Two cans of black and blue pearl and a can of grape pearl as those were the only ones they had left. I did like the color of the plane as it was but the Monokote on the top of the vertical stab was too dark and it didn't look right. I thought I was going to go completely over the top with the paint job. Turns out I decided that I would keep it simple. I started out with grape pearl on the cowl because I thought it would be close to the purple on the stab but it really wasn't much different than what was already on the plane so I decided on the black and blue pearl. I realy like how it turned out. I taped off the gold stripes on the fuselage and painted below them. Now there is a little more color. The original purple shows through between the gold stripes and the dark color has a nice contrast. If I hadn't have glued the wings on when I built it I probably would have installed the navigation lights I had on my Cessna.
gluemaster is offline Find More Posts by gluemaster
Last edited by gluemaster; Jul 05, 2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: C@n't Spell
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2011, 11:24 AM
helicrazy
United States, AL, Robertsdale
Joined Nov 2009
342 Posts
lancair

wow,I have the exact same model,color is the same too,Ive had it for about 4 months and havent flown it yet,would I be able to take off and land on grass.
frank26all is offline Find More Posts by frank26all
Old Jul 05, 2011, 11:42 AM
Cub-O-Holic
Deltona, FL
Joined Dec 2006
587 Posts
I don't think so unless you remove the wheel pants and install larger wheels. Also unless you have upgraded it to brushless chances are it will never gain enough speed to lift off. I tried to fly mine with the stok motor and gearbox, stock battery and speed controller and I ran out of runway before I had enough speed to climb out. I broke the prop, bent the nose gear and knocked off a couple of the wheel pants.
gluemaster is offline Find More Posts by gluemaster