Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 05, 2011, 08:13 AM
Joined Jul 2011
3 Posts
Discussion
Which plane after Hobyzone CHAMP (micro plane)

Hi,

I'am new to this hobby and I have been trainning with my Champ plane (3ch) in the park near my home and with my Real Flight G5.5 similator (every day since one week)

Now I want to move up and go to a flight zone (15 min away from home) with a new plane with aileron (4 ch)

So what is the best next step for me.

1) Another mico plane : Parkzone Micro T28 trojan that I can still not fly in wind situation.
2) The Parkzone T28 trojan (the 44"" wings)
3) The E-flite Apprentice with some problem with the original motor ("that's what I have read" )
4) or something else......

Thank's for your help and time
Steamroller14 is offline Find More Posts by Steamroller14
Last edited by Steamroller14; Jul 05, 2011 at 08:22 AM. Reason: syntax error in the title
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2011, 12:09 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
Sort of depends on your budget, interests and flying area.

You can step up to the UM T-28 BNF for another $99. It is a good next step and you can use the Champ radio. I have the UM T-28 and really like it. Good for limited flying areas; winds up to 10 mph once you have experience. Waiting for calmer winds does require some patience but it is a great plane if you do wait.

There are definitely times when I wish my second plane could handle more wind like the park size T-28; big step up in price though. You'll need a full range radio (should probably get the DX6i) and the BNF T-28. Batteries will cost more too (UM T-28 uses batteries just like the Champ).

To handle wind, I built myself a light-build Stryker for about $70.

I needed to master the UM T-28 though before trying to fly the Stryker. Definitely need a full-range radio for the Stryker.
MiddleMarc is offline Find More Posts by MiddleMarc
Old Jul 05, 2011, 12:22 PM
Joined Feb 2011
193 Posts
i yous the stryker as a combat plane, very sterdie plane.
jimmyjam45 is offline Find More Posts by jimmyjam45
Old Jul 05, 2011, 04:12 PM
Joined Jul 2011
3 Posts
Beside the T-28 and the Apprentice, is there any other good plane for me?
Old Jul 05, 2011, 04:16 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
Multiplex FunCub (can add flaps too)
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Jul 05, 2011, 06:50 PM
Moderately Dangerous
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Apr 2011
1,047 Posts
Just my advice: AXN Floater Jet (Clouds Fly) - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=8359

I also started out with the Champ and then went to the Mini Super Cub, which was a big mistake. It was a fun plane for about 2 weeks, and then I tired of it. It's worse in the wind than the Champ, it's under powered, and doesn't have ailerons. I then sprung for a 31" wingspan F4U Corair, which was a lot of fun but WAY too fast for my current ability. I crashed a lot and ended up fixing the plane more than flying it.

I decided to try the AXN Floater Jet after reading some reviews here and seeing some videos. Here's why this is a great 2nd plane, but really it's a great plane for any skill level:

1. Pretty fast on a stock motor: I clocked mine at 60mph+ with stock setup and 2200mah 3S battery. Tons of fun zipping around, doing loops, vertical climbs, inverted, slow rolls, etc.
Flying the AXN Floater-Jet (Clouds Fly) (2 min 41 sec)

2. Very easy to hand launch. Just toss it up like a javelin at a slight angle with about 60% throttle.

3. It glides easy and LONG with the power off. It's not quite a glider, but almost.

4. Easy to land with power off, and on any surface. This is a pusher, with the prop up and out of the way. Land it on grass, dirt, snow, sand, or pavement, whatever.

5. It's an aileron plane, but the wing design makes it self-righting. This makes it easy to fly and a great first aileron plane. It also lets you play with the rudder and rudder/aileron/elevator combination and get familiar with flying on both sticks.

6. Crash resistant, almost crash proof. With almost all the electronics in the middle or rear of the plane, you can destroy the front of the fuselage and not damage those components. Just glue it back together and keep flying.

7. Cheap, so you don't feel bad about crashing which will increase your confidence and get you flying more often.

The BAD:
1. Shipping from Hong Kong is slow. My "air mail" took about 2.5 weeks to get here. But the total cost for the plane and battery was under $100. I already had an Rx/Tx.
2. No local parts for on the fly fixing. Thankfully this thing is hard to crash and easy to repair with glue and strapping tape if necessary.
3. Stupid name! It's not a jet, nor do clouds fly...discuss.
4. It's not a "trainer" or other scale looking plane. Not an issue for me, but if you're into scale looks this is obviously a different animal.
TwoHeadsBrewing is offline Find More Posts by TwoHeadsBrewing
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by TwoHeadsBrewing; Jul 05, 2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 01:27 PM
Joined Jul 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
Just my advice: AXN Floater Jet (Clouds Fly) - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=8359

I also started out with the Champ and then went to the Mini Super Cub, which was a big mistake. It was a fun plane for about 2 weeks, and then I tired of it. It's worse in the wind than the Champ, it's under powered, and doesn't have ailerons. I then sprung for a 31" wingspan F4U Corair, which was a lot of fun but WAY too fast for my current ability. I crashed a lot and ended up fixing the plane more than flying it.

I decided to try the AXN Floater Jet after reading some reviews here and seeing some videos. Here's why this is a great 2nd plane, but really it's a great plane for any skill level:

1. Pretty fast on a stock motor: I clocked mine at 60mph+ with stock setup and 2200mah 3S battery. Tons of fun zipping around, doing loops, vertical climbs, inverted, slow rolls, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6VCmb8huEE

2. Very easy to hand launch. Just toss it up like a javelin at a slight angle with about 60% throttle.

3. It glides easy and LONG with the power off. It's not quite a glider, but almost.

4. Easy to land with power off, and on any surface. This is a pusher, with the prop up and out of the way. Land it on grass, dirt, snow, sand, or pavement, whatever.

5. It's an aileron plane, but the wing design makes it self-righting. This makes it easy to fly and a great first aileron plane. It also lets you play with the rudder and rudder/aileron/elevator combination and get familiar with flying on both sticks.

6. Crash resistant, almost crash proof. With almost all the electronics in the middle or rear of the plane, you can destroy the front of the fuselage and not damage those components. Just glue it back together and keep flying.

7. Cheap, so you don't feel bad about crashing which will increase your confidence and get you flying more often.

The BAD:
1. Shipping from Hong Kong is slow. My "air mail" took about 2.5 weeks to get here. But the total cost for the plane and battery was under $100. I already had an Rx/Tx.
2. No local parts for on the fly fixing. Thankfully this thing is hard to crash and easy to repair with glue and strapping tape if necessary.
3. Stupid name! It's not a jet, nor do clouds fly...discuss.
4. It's not a "trainer" or other scale looking plane. Not an issue for me, but if you're into scale looks this is obviously a different animal.

Thanks for your advice.

It looks like a good plane. The fact that it can land on grass is fun too and at a good price.

If I order that plane what else should I order to be sure that I have everything (ex: spare parts, battery brand, etc...). Note that I will buy a DX6i transmitter at a store here in Montreal for $160 plus taxes

Where is the best place to buy the foam glue online (what brand)?
Old Jul 06, 2011, 02:42 PM
Moderately Dangerous
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Apr 2011
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamroller14 View Post
Thanks for your advice.

It looks like a good plane. The fact that it can land on grass is fun too and at a good price.

If I order that plane what else should I order to be sure that I have everything (ex: spare parts, battery brand, etc...). Note that I will buy a DX6i transmitter at a store here in Montreal for $160 plus taxes

Where is the best place to buy the foam glue online (what brand)?
You'll also need a receiver which you can buy with your transmitter. The shop can even help you bind it. Also ask them about "foam safe" CA glue. It's a quick acting contact adhesive that bonds in just seconds, which is great for field repairs.

As for the battery, an 1800 or 2200 11.1v (3S) battery is perfect to balance this plane. The 2200 mah battery will last 20 minutes if you're running fast, or up to 45 minutes if you're just cruising and gliding around. You'll also want to pick up a proper balance charger which will both charge and balance the multiple cells in the battery pack. One with a timer and/or voltage cutoff is also a great safety measure.

Battery: http://www.nitroplanes.com/77p-2200m...p-111-25c.html
Charger: http://www.nitroplanes.com/skychb65dupo.html

^^^ That charger is sold under many brand names, but has the same circuitry and operations. SkyCharger, ThunderPro, ProdigyAC, GT-A6, IMAX B6. They all support 2S-6S batteries, charge rates up to 5A, AC/DC operation, discharging, balance charging, quick charging, and safety cutoff features. If you are fine with spending more money, the Hyperion chargers are some of the best on the market.
TwoHeadsBrewing is offline Find More Posts by TwoHeadsBrewing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UHF / 1.3ghz Relay Stations
Old Jul 06, 2011, 02:44 PM
United States, MA, Medfield
Joined Jul 2010
830 Posts
I would double-check but I do believe if you have a newer Champ with a DSM2 Tx, that Tx that looks like a larger video-game controller is actually a full range Tx.

That what the HSG (Hobby Shop Guy) told me when I bought mine (at RCHover). I since upgraded to a DX6i for features.

You may be able to use that Tx if you don't need a lot of programming features and you can stick with 4-ch with no mixes (like use a Y-cable if you have two aileron servo).

I believe that Tx has a tad of fixed-expo pre-programmed in. It also has fixed dual rates. If you push down (in toward the box) on one of the sticks, it goes into low-rate mode.

Might save you some bucks if you want to step up a little bit in a plane and buy another Tx later.

-l2t
learn2turn is offline Find More Posts by learn2turn
Old Jul 06, 2011, 03:48 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by learn2turn View Post
I would double-check but I do believe if you have a newer Champ with a DSM2 Tx, that Tx that looks like a larger video-game controller is actually a full range Tx.

That what the HSG (Hobby Shop Guy) told me when I bought mine (at RCHover). I since upgraded to a DX6i for features.

You may be able to use that Tx if you don't need a lot of programming features and you can stick with 4-ch with no mixes (like use a Y-cable if you have two aileron servo).

I believe that Tx has a tad of fixed-expo pre-programmed in. It also has fixed dual rates. If you push down (in toward the box) on one of the sticks, it goes into low-rate mode.

Might save you some bucks if you want to step up a little bit in a plane and buy another Tx later.

-l2t
That RX is NOT full range. It is for micros...limited visual orientation. There is no built in expo. Resolution on it is not very good either.
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Jul 06, 2011, 06:42 PM
mostly newbie
United States, CO, Centennial
Joined May 2011
263 Posts
The Multiplex MiniMag is ~40" WS and 4-channel ready. That's the route I went, figuring I would need a power system upgrade soon if not before the maiden. I liked the easy, simple construction, precision parts, good hardware, and reported high durability. I haven't flown it yet. Also considered some you listed as well as the GWS e-Starter (primarily due to cost and popularity/support).
shimniok is offline Find More Posts by shimniok
Old Jul 07, 2011, 05:45 AM
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Mar 2010
139 Posts
+1 to UM T28/Big T28
FJK_12 is offline Find More Posts by FJK_12