nice report !

a must have ! I will check my dealer
FlipF5D is offline Find More Posts by FlipF5D
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:55 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
Can this plane handle landing in grassy fields?
yellowcolorado is offline Find More Posts by yellowcolorado
Old Aug 14, 2011, 04:16 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,980 Posts
I guess it will depends on how tall your grassy field grass grows. Short grass landings shouldn't be a problem. I plan to fly the Sundowner off the grass at SEFF in completly "stock" configuration, wheel pants and all. If your grass is a little taller, you will need to remove the wheel pants and if it's really tall or the ground is pretty bumpy, you may need to install larger diameter wheels. If you can fly a normal 40-sized sport plane off the field, you should be able to fly the Sundowner off that same field.

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Aug 15, 2011, 07:02 AM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,786 Posts
Kingsflyer.. I must ask, have you raced this in an EF1 heat yet? And if so, how did it compare speed wise with the Pogo's & any other scratchbuilts?
BulletMaster is online now Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:13 AM
sw michigan
Joined Aug 2010
81 Posts
Kingsflyer, I just pick up a sd36 and am having a hard time deciding on powersystems. If I went glow would it be safe to assume 40nx be similar to the electric speed setup, and the 36 evo would be similar to the sport setup?
miller red is offline Find More Posts by miller red
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:27 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
4,980 Posts
BMaster -- No official heats yet, but I've flown both my Pogo and my Sundowner in race configuration and as best as I can tell, they fly at the same speed. I feel like I can fly the Sundowner better, and that should result in lower lap times. Until I can fly in an official timed event, I won't know for sure. Stay tuned.

MRed -- Did you mean the 36NT? The 36 EVO is only shown as a control line engine. I think you have it figured out though. The 40NX and the 36NT weigh the same, but they have very different power outputs. The Sundowner 36 will take either one, so it's your choice. Fuel consumption and top speed are the only practical differences.

McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2011, 06:41 PM
Muncie, Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
332 Posts
Great Review. You really put on great show. Congrats to you and to Horizon for releasing another great electric racing plane!!!

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, IN
Iceman67 is online now Find More Posts by Iceman67
Old Aug 16, 2011, 04:54 PM
Joined Aug 2008
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller red View Post
Kingsflyer, I just pick up a sd36 and am having a hard time deciding on powersystems. If I went glow would it be safe to assume 40nx be similar to the electric speed setup, and the 36 evo would be similar to the sport setup?
I have both the Pogo and the Sundowner 36. The Pogo is powered with the Eflite Power 25 and has a decent flight speed, somewhere around 100mph on a good day. The Sundowner 36 by comparison, is a much better handling plane both in the air and on the ground as it tends to track like it's rails. The 36 is powered with a Scorpion 3026-1600kv spinning an APC 8x6E prop on a 4s 40c lipo pack The speed is not blazing by any means, but a respectable 110-120mph on a good day. I actually had hoped to get the speed of the Sundowner 36 to around 125-140 mph, but after smoking 4 inrunners and one outrunner motor, plus three ESC (2-80 amps turnigy and 1 Castle 100 amp), decided to just enjoy flying a tamed bird and saving a few dollars and getting speed from the other models in the inventory.

I would be interested in the speed setups (motor, esc, prop, battery comp) that others are using to achieve greater speeds that what I have posted.
Vantagepoint is offline Find More Posts by Vantagepoint
Old Aug 19, 2011, 01:50 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,192 Posts
Great Review, and another great release.

I have fallen in love with the SD50 and this looks just as good.

...I love the look of the cowls on these planes; fastest looking plane in the pits and most of thie time it is the fastest plane in the air as well
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Aug 20, 2011, 02:14 PM
Joined Jun 2008
151 Posts
Kingsflyer.....Nice review. I have one on the way and plan to give EF1 a try. I am located near Beaumont TX. Where can I watch for upcoming Race(s) in TX or LA?
Also....I like the vented spinner. Who makes the nice al backplate? custom?
Last time I saw Fred French he laped me at least once. (GSAL T-6) That man could really make a stock G-62 hum.
rppoind is online now Find More Posts by rppoind
Old Aug 20, 2011, 08:56 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
4,980 Posts
Thanks for the Kudos. You're gonna like your new Sundowner!

You can usually find the latest information on EF-1 events on the NMPRA EF-1 thread here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...78471&page=143

The only event I know of anytime soon is the one in San Angelo on Sunday, September 25th.
http://www.angelorc.com/

I'm sure the AMA contest calander would also list any upcoming sanctioned events in the Texas & LA area.

The spinner with the ventilated backplate is a stock 52mm spinner from Extreme Flight that I cut off the front 1/4" for cooling air entry.
http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/Spinners.html

McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2011, 07:48 AM
Joined Jun 2008
151 Posts
McD,
Many thanks for the info. I'll give the spinner a try.
Richard
rppoind is online now Find More Posts by rppoind
Old Aug 25, 2011, 04:27 PM
Joined Mar 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller red View Post
Could you put an os 46 in it?
Look at mySD 36
Power by os 50 hyper with jettengineering muffler,prop 9x9 the Battery is back,no cg broblem!
Enjoy

sundowner 36 (3 min 31 sec)
moshiko79 is offline Find More Posts by moshiko79
Last edited by moshiko79; Aug 26, 2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 04:45 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
4,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moshiko79 View Post
Look at mySD 36
Impressive flying Sundowner! What is the altitude where you are flying?

I'm not sure your runway to pit area setback exactly meets the AMA requirements !!!

McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2011, 08:28 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,192 Posts
McD~ I was curious if you have had a chance to fly or watch the new Shoestring EF-1 and how you would compare it to the SD-36?

I have a SD-50 but several of my friends have been getting these planes and I was curious what differences I could expect between the two (the SD-36 and the Shoestring-15).
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop