HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:05 PM
Pile-it
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanwpg View Post
Haven't been too impressed with the build quality of the Shoestring or Proud Bird. Sundowner seems to be much better. Hows the quality of the Miss Dara?
Still need my question answered can I clip the wings?
I suspect that the answer to the clip question is no. Once a design is approved no modifications are allowed without submitting new drawings for approval. Someone was asking about turning the Proud Bird into a Rivets, and I think the answer would be the same. I'm in no way involved with making the rules though, you should email Jerry Small or Dan Kane for an official ruling.
Alien_Tech is online now Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:23 AM
Joined Feb 2011
175 Posts
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyst View Post
A lovely plane, Guy.
amba is offline Find More Posts by amba
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:03 AM
Joined Feb 2010
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amba View Post
A lovely plane, Guy.
Thanks Amit, when we will see yours taking off?
guyst is offline Find More Posts by guyst
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:05 AM
Joined Feb 2010
651 Posts
Today I took this good looking guy to a fast ride... enjoy!

Hangar 9 Sundowner 36 6S (3 min 8 sec)
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:48 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,303 Posts
Quote:

4250-800kV
80A ESC
6S 3000 35C

What prop are you using and what amp draw/watts are you pulling?
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:04 AM
Joined Feb 2010
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG View Post

4250-800kV
80A ESC
6S 3000 35C

What prop are you using and what amp draw/watts are you pulling?
Prop 10 x 10 APC and draw ~1500 watts.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:41 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,774 Posts
looks fast, i Think its the same speed as my pogo, 5s 9x9 prop 987kv hyp motor,,I would say 120-130mph maybee?

NICE.....
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:10 PM
Joined Feb 2010
651 Posts
Quote:

http://youtu.be/tRJUId1s5x4
Can someone please doppler the speed?
Which program are you using?
Last edited by guyst; Jan 07, 2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:34 PM
Joined May 2012
1 Posts
I just bought a sundowner 36 and i was installing the rudder and elevator servos and push-rods and from the manual and pictures it looks like the push-rods should exit the back of the plane on the same side as the servo it is connected to(aka the push-rods should not crisscross in the fuselage). can someone please verify this for me because in my arf the push-rod tubes cross and there is some binding when i slide the push-rods in, but there glued in so i cant switch them without ripping them out. a picture down the fuse would be awesome if anyone has/can take one.

Thank You

Bigg_Maxx
Big_Maxx is offline Find More Posts by Big_Maxx
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:06 PM
definitely a madman with a box
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Sep 2011
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Maxx View Post
a picture down the fuse would be awesome
Just finished my own. Just hooking up my new webcam. Perfect timing.
MadManWithABox is offline Find More Posts by MadManWithABox
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:41 PM
Canada, ON, Aurora
Joined Oct 2007
12 Posts
My push rod guide tubes were crossed as well. I think it's a typo in the manual. The outputs will be reversed. I just went with it and I don't notice any ill effects.
thehaze is offline Find More Posts by thehaze
Old Mar 20, 2013, 03:15 PM
Joined Sep 2011
132 Posts
My carbon pins for the canopy/hatch assembly came loose. They were installed but were not glued in place. I couldn't decide if they glued to the fuselage and slid into the canopy/hatch assembly or the other way around.

I looked through the instruction manual and couldn't see any mention nor a picture showing it. I finally ended up gluing them on the fuselage side thinking they would be less likely to get bumped.

Then I saw the picture in kingsflyer's article which clearly shows them glued into the canopy/hatch.

What have other's done?
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:13 AM
Joined Sep 2011
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Maxx View Post
there is some binding when i slide the push-rods in
Yesterday I was adjusting the throws on my SD36 and noticed some binding on my rudder. I determined it was the push rod that was binding. I removed the metal rod from the sleeve and noticed it was covered with rust. (my SD36 is brand new) So I sprayed some WD40 on a paper towel and wiped it down and re-installed it. I can't believe the difference it made. I did the same treatment to the elevator push rod and they both work way better.

All of the rods that came with the kit are black. I couldn't tell how much rust there was until I looked at the paper towel after wiping them down.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 01:32 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2009
270 Posts
Hi,
My wife bought me this plane for Christmas and I took great delight in building it. The build was very straightfoward, and it was only my second ARF.

But as I have only been flying for 6 months (helis for a number of years) I thought it might be a bit too much plane for me, so its been a Hangar Queen until this last weekend.

I had one of the experienced guys at the club take off and trim it for me, he then got it high and level and handed over the Tx. WOW, what a fantastic surprise this plane was, I had put in three different rates low medium and high, and I finished the flight on high, (except for the landing). I just flew it in a pattern getting used to it and a feel for it, so stable for a rocket ship.

I then had a second flight and dropped in a 4s 4000mAh bat (first flight was with a 4s 3300mAh - my set-up is Power 25, 10x7, 80 amp esc). The 4000mAh felt a bit better balanced and the nose didnt rise up as much under full throttle. For this second flight I had the entire field to myself and just cranked it up and had a ball with this gorgeous looking plane going full throttle down the strip with a clear blue sky backdrop - should of have the camera out.

So for any reasonable intermediate pilots out there, if you think you'd like this plane but may be a bit gun shy over its speed, dont be, its a pussycat if you want to puddle about at half throttle, very stable and no bad tendancies. I started out nice and slow and then did a few fast runs just down the straight and then I was hooked and I kept it WOT for the rest of the flight with huge banked turns at speed carving big figure 8's. It was the best RC Plane flight I've ever had!!

But, landing it, well that was a slightly different matter. My landing strip is grass and is 250 metres long ( 275 yards) and I did a practice run with no throttle 15 foot off the ground - it flew the entire lenght just gliding - no throttle whatsoever!!
First actual attempt it took me 200 metres to get it on to the landing strip and luckily it stopped fast (within 30 metres). The second flight I tried to get it down faster, which I did, no throttle just El control and I then when it touched down I gave it full up elevator to stick the tail down - to my horror it took off again (still without throttle) then another little (no so subtle flare) and it landed real heavy, and stopped just before the low bushes at the end of the runway. No damage but man do I need some landing practice with this slippery little sucker.

Sorry for the long story but I just wanted to share my experience with all you pros, and to tell the newbs that (other than landing) they could fly this plane!
Flying Fiz is offline Find More Posts by Flying Fiz
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:42 PM
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Jun 2007
1,169 Posts
the power 25 can be run on 6s with a 9x9 prop, the case temp will only rise to about 120f and the amps are around 55 max
kremecheze is offline Find More Posts by kremecheze