HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by kdhanson, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 01:28 PM
Manchester, New Hampshire, United States
Joined Jul 2001
223 Posts
Discussion
Tricked-out Hobby Zone Super Cub

I got this idea after watching some youtube videos of Alaskan bush planes doing STOL competitions.

I love the big fat tires on these planes and it reminded me of the Trexler inflatable tires I have lying around somewhere.

So, I picked up the airframe parts for the HZ Super Cub and some Krylon paint & started to get to work.

The first step was to take out the dihedral in the wing, since I plan on adding ailerons & flaps.
kdhanson is offline Find More Posts by kdhanson
Last edited by kdhanson; Jul 31, 2011 at 06:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2011, 02:20 PM
the Ford man
ontario
Joined Jun 2010
712 Posts
Hey there if you have any qeustions feel free to ask me I have put ailerons and flow over flaps on my super cub along with tundra tires and I have changed alot of the electronics over to spektrum.
You dont need to get ride of the dihedral out of the wing the cub flies alot better with it.

Great idea puting the carbon fiber spar in the wing I need to do that I have already broken a couple of wings from pulling Gs

ford f47
ford f47 is offline Find More Posts by ford f47
Old Jul 05, 2011, 06:56 AM
Joined Jul 2001
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford f47 View Post
...I have changed alot of the electronics over to spektrum. You dont need to get ride of the dihedral out of the wing the cub flies alot better with it.
Hi Ford f47,

That's why I bought the wing, fuselage and tail pieces separately. I didn't like that the complete plane came with 27MHz electronics. I wanted to switch it over to my Spektrum 6i. It was much less expensive that way. As far as the dihedral goes, many folks on RC Groups seem to prefer the wing flattened when adding ailerons and the comments were that it rolls better that way. I guess we'll see. In any case I can always buy another spare stock wing, as it was only $20.

-Ken
Old Jul 05, 2011, 09:15 AM
the Ford man
ontario
Joined Jun 2010
712 Posts
Thats a great color scheme thats the way I painted mine up!

So do you know what motor you plan in puting in it yet?

ford f47
Old Jul 05, 2011, 01:19 PM
Joined Jul 2001
223 Posts
I've got one of these that's been lying around my shop unused for many years, so I figured why not? I know it's overkill, but it's better to have more power than less.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 08:01 AM
the Ford man
ontario
Joined Jun 2010
712 Posts
Ya that should be a good motor I have a 480 brushless in mine!

ford f47