SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 04, 2011, 12:11 PM
Make the best of all you have
Essen/Germany
Joined Dec 2006
569 Posts
Discussion
FMS T-28 mods

Did some mods to my T-28 and want to make a thread for all the brilliant ideas of the people in this forum to make a good plane even better.
Feel free to post your improvements.

Here are some photos to show my mods - pictures tell more than thousand words ...

Thought that the nice air intake at the bottom has to be made usefull

Has to be painted...

I use the incoming air to cool down the ESC

Some changes to improve the air floating

to be continued ...

Rolf
beetyii is offline Find More Posts by beetyii
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2011, 12:58 PM
12G
Joined Jul 2011
4 Posts
Good idea. I guess that's why real cowls have air intakes.
12G is offline Find More Posts by 12G
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:13 AM
Japan, Kyoto Prefecture, Kyotanabe
Joined May 2011
42 Posts
Good idea
370gtsp is offline Find More Posts by 370gtsp
Old Aug 31, 2011, 04:50 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,871 Posts
Good Idea

But also needs a little air filter, to avoid dust and possible bugs in the engine room :-D

I think I am going to add this to my T-28
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Sep 19, 2011, 02:25 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,871 Posts
Another good improvement:

Change the wheels. The following wheels fit perfectly and landings are very smooth and you get also some suspension (probably good for the retracts):

Dubro 225R
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...225R&search=Go

Dubro 275R
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...275R&search=Go

One Note: The standard inner diameter is 3mm. You need to take a 5/32 drill and drill it to 4mm in order to fit on the stock retracts. Also those wheels a bit heavier than the stock.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 11:26 AM
United Kingdom, England, Wolverhampton
Joined Mar 2010
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetyii View Post
Did some mods to my T-28 and want to make a thread for all the brilliant ideas of the people in this forum to make a good plane even better.
Feel free to post your improvements.

Here are some photos to show my mods - pictures tell more than thousand words ...

Thought that the nice air intake at the bottom has to be made usefull

Has to be painted...

I use the incoming air to cool down the ESC

Some changes to improve the air floating

to be continued ...

Rolf
hiya what did you use to open the hole up for this mod and what size did you open it to. also did you make any holes further along in the fuselage thanks
AtomicAndy is offline Find More Posts by AtomicAndy
Old Oct 02, 2011, 12:00 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,871 Posts
I used a hot solder and careful drilled the hole.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 08:02 AM
Germany, BY, Schwaig
Joined May 2011
60 Posts
T-28 Landing Gear Mod

I've order the following Struts:

http://www.sonicelectric.com/Merchan...de=ERS-Strut-F

As soon as they arrive, I replace the stock struts with these. The only things I'll use from the stock gear are the metal rods. I'll shorten the rods to the right length and mount the new struts. I'll report here again - incl. step by step pictures

greetz

jam
jamukah is offline Find More Posts by jamukah
Old Oct 07, 2011, 05:04 AM
Germany, BY, Schwaig
Joined May 2011
60 Posts
FMS Giant T-28 Strut Mod

As I told before, here is the Building Report.

Steps for the wing struts

1. Remove the cover of the orig. struts and wheels.
2. Remove the plastic-blindness by the metal-rods with a Dremel. Be carefull, that you don't demage the metal rods with the Dremel.
3. Shorten the metal-rods and push the new struts over the metal rods. Check, that the struts have the correct height, and consider that the two
maggot-screws grasp. It doesn't matter, that the drilling of the new struts are 5mm and the metal-rods have only 4mm outer-diameter, therefore it
holds as long the maggot-screws are solid fastened and secured with screw locking varnish.
4. Install the wheel, also check that the whole leg get in properly (because of the length). I had to cut a little foam out.
5. The most difficult now is to reconnect the Strut Cover (the long slice) to the new strut, since no mounting for the linkage is given on the new
struts. I use a cable-binder (large) and connect it to the new strut. After that, I pre - drilled a 1mm bore in the "head" of the cable-binder and
tighten in the screw for the ball head. Secure the screw with super glue (respect not the ball-head sticks together)
6. Reinstall and align the strut cover, so that nothing sticks and the cover also closes right.

Steps for the nose wheel
1. Execute step 1 to 3 from above.
2. Remove the linkage of the baydoors, and the baydoors itself.
3. Remove the steering linkage (solve maggot-screw first) and the adjusting ring underneath. This adjusting ring is no longer needed.
4. Mount the steering linkage exact to the same place, as the adjusting ring was placed. Take care, that nothing sticks, otherwise the nose wheel
doesn't gets back in the bay properly. Therefore, I have to bend the steering rod a little bit to avoid sticking at the mechanics/electronics
housing.
5. Reinstall and align the baydoors and hang up the linkage.

Because of bad weather, I couldn't make test landings. But on ground testing, the suspension struts makes a very good impression and even works
perfect.

The Wheel Covers are actualy not install, cause I must find a solution for how to fix it on the struts.

Summary: A modification, which is worthwhile.

I hope this report, will be useful.

Oli

A few picrtures:

Detailed view Front steering Strut

By thehelicrazy at 2011-10-06

Wing Strut

Front steering strut

Detailed view of strut cover mounting

Wing strut cover closed:

jamukah is offline Find More Posts by jamukah
Old Oct 07, 2011, 05:16 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2011
81 Posts
That is so good!
caaraa is offline Find More Posts by caaraa
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 07, 2011, 11:25 AM
AMA# 980507
United States, FL, Loxahatchee
Joined Feb 2011
319 Posts
Have you flown with this mod yet? I'm kind of curious if the air blowing through that hole is enough to blow the cowl off. I plan on doing this mod as well but was thinking of making another hole further back in the fuselage to let the air blow out.
Th3UmBrA is offline Find More Posts by Th3UmBrA
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2011, 12:26 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,871 Posts
I did the same mod and it actually is a perfect location for the hole. No aerodynamic differences and the ESC stay's cooler. Also it looks very scale since it uses the intake on the cowl that is designed for it.

The cowl itself is heavy plastic and secured with three screws. The air is already streaming into the intake of the cowl regardless - but with this mod it actually has meaning :-)
Old Oct 07, 2011, 02:08 PM
AMA# 980507
Joined Feb 2011
319 Posts
Oops... I actually meant the canopy. I don't have the plane yet (I do have the Dynam version and the Airfield 800mm one) but is the canopy held on with magnets?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2011, 02:31 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,871 Posts
Magnets and plastic retainers.

The cockpit is actually pretty tight connected to the fuselage... If you don't trust the stock magnets you may want to replace them with Earth Magnets - That's what I did - uh another Mod :-)
Old Oct 07, 2011, 05:12 PM
AMA# 980507
Joined Feb 2011
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
Magnets and plastic retainers.

The cockpit is actually pretty tight connected to the fuselage... If you don't trust the stock magnets you may want to replace them with Earth Magnets - That's what I did - uh another Mod :-)
Sweetness...thanks for the info! I just ordered the grey kit that NP has for sale for $149 since I have everything else laying around on my tool bench. Can't wait to get it!
RCG Plus Member