SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by gluemaster, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 03, 2011, 09:10 PM
Cub-O-Holic
Deltona, FL
Joined Dec 2006
587 Posts
Discussion
She flies again!

I got the little Cub repaired during the week and couldn't wait to see how she flew. I charged up a battery last night and loaded up some planes in the truck to go fly this morning. When I got to the place where I fly, the Cub was the first one up. I was curious as to whether or not it would fly as good as it did before and I think it actually flies better. This may be due in part to the change in propeller. I was running an APC slow flyer 8x6 cut down to around 7 1/4 but since it got a little scuffed up I decided to change out the prop. I had a GWS 9060 prop and decided to try it out. After hooking up the watt meter up I was surprised to find out that it was only pulling around 8 1/2 Amps and my watts out were 92W. It looks like the amp draw decreased. Even though I went up quite a bit in diameter the blade width is decreased. This thing flies very nice. It seems like it has a little better pull off of the bottom and it cruises at a little lower throttle setting. Most of all the motor, speed control and battery should run a little cooler. I also flew the Flashback again. I meant to take an E prop with me to replace the slow flyer prop but forgot it on the bench. The last plane I flew this morning was the Lancair. It seemed to be flying fine as usual but the motor was surging so I landed it to check everything out. All seemed o.k. so I took off again and did a few touch and go's when on the last landing and roll it veered off to the right and caught the gutter and the edge of the grass. The right wing tip caught first and it spun the plane 180 degrees. As it spun around the horizontal stab caught the gutter and kinked it and it bent the nose gear. Now I have to repair the stab. While I have it down for repairs I may lay a fresh coat of paint on it. I have been wanting to paint it for a while now but have hesitated as I glued the wings on. I may just do it to make it look different.
gluemaster is offline Find More Posts by gluemaster
to remove ads between posts