SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:10 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,834 Posts
Flight Notes

When hand launching it is best to lightly throw it out and down. It seems impossible to toss it hard without the plane ballooning up and then stalling, unless you can get the nose back down quick enough.

Launching with 3-5 mm down elevator further helps prevent ballooning and helps insure you pick up speed quickly. On this plane more than most speed is your friend (see below).

The key to successfully flying this plane is being able to recognize a stall. Like many wings it does not drop a wing and then spin. Rather as the plane begins to stall, lateral control becomes quite mushy, especially at high angles of attack. Eventually one wingtip will weather vane and the plane will immediately flip around and start flying downwind. This can particularly happen in a slow turn if you pull up too hard. Where other planes will tip stall, here when the outer wingtip at the higher angle of attack stalls and the plane will immediately rotate about that tip, turning the opposite direction you expected. Even if it does not stall, it creates considerable adverse yaw. If you keep the speed up and nose down, especially in turns, there is no problem. Likewise if you learn to recognize the lateral control mushiness just prior to a stall and develop the habit of putting the nose down, there is no problem. In addition you need to turn into and out of the turns and fly the plane.

If the plane does begin to balloon or stall at a high angle of attack, the key is to smash the elevator down 45 deg immediately. At this point the elevator is less of a flying surface and more of a drag brake. But it creates enough downward pitching moment that the nose will drop allowing you to recover flying speed and control.

As the next step I will add a little more differential to see if that helps with the adverse yaw. Also, the dive test suggested the CG is a bit forward at 20% (I did this to stop earlier PIO on landing). I will now try to move it back. As you can see form the picture, I also taped some weight to the wing to see if I can balance them about the centerline.

On other notes, the colors were great for orientation. As long as you keep the speed up, the plane flies in pretty light lift. It could not quite keep up with the Easy Glider, but it held its own rather nicely under light and even poor lift conditions.

I think the unique flying characteristics have more to do with the plank wing than anything else. My Tigra performs similarly in some respects. Once you recognize how it does fly on the verge of a stall, flying in light lift is actually less stressful than with many other many planes.

Overall I am real pleased with the Fauvel. It is fun to fly and looks great. I look forward to more flying now that I have an idea how to get and keep it in the air!
Greg Beshouri is offline Find More Posts by Greg Beshouri
Last edited by Greg Beshouri; Apr 22, 2012 at 10:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:56 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,834 Posts
A couple more in flight shots.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:21 AM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,834 Posts
I got in another long flight yesterday. Not surprisingly the Fauvel loops very nicely. Rather surprisingly it also does a very nice roll/wingover but it takes a little practice to end the roll precisely.

You do need to stay on top of it, especially with regard to speed/stall and altitude is always your friend.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:34 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,834 Posts
Here is some unedited Video of Ken and I flying while exploring the limits. There is even a loop.

Semi scale Fauvel AV-36 RC Glider Sloping at Los Banos (2 min 5 sec)
Last edited by Greg Beshouri; May 13, 2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 06:50 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,834 Posts
I continue to fly the Fauvel. I am finally happy with the CG. Inverted flight only takes a little down push and it does a very straight dive.

Besides its unique looks, it is quite aerobatic. Like all wings It loops nicely and unlike many planks the rolls are quite axial.

It can handle a pretty wide range of conditions. As the lift picks up you do need to add more down trim to keep the nose in the horizontal plane . I typically fly with 3-5mm of down depending on conditions.

Overall I am really happy with the plane and enjoy flying it.

Greg
Old Jun 30, 2012, 09:13 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,759 Posts
Very nice! It looks really good in the air. Any difficulties with orientation from visual perspective?
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:58 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,834 Posts
Hi Arup,

I was remarking today that orientation is NOT problem. The large registration numbers on the bottom may be helping, but it is always easy to keep oriented.

Greg
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:59 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,834 Posts
Hello All,

I am thinking of buying the AV-22 Mini: http://www.modellbaumuder.de/av22mini.htm

A couple of you expressed interest in a group purchase. Is there still any interest?

Greg
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:04 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,834 Posts
Well I changed my mind. I decided to get a 1/4 scale 3m AV-36. It should arrive ~Dec 26. I will continue the build thread here.
Old May 18, 2013, 08:04 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,834 Posts
I have made no progress on the 1/4 scale AV-36. I have a new job and.....

But I have been flying my Mini- AV-36 non stop!

I took it to Los Banos, in this video you can see my buddy tossing it at 33-38 seconds:
Los Banos 2013 (3 min 8 sec)

Today I was flying it on the slope and it got in a thermal. WOW! it went straight up like it was on an elevator!

I have to get back to working on its big brother!
Old May 21, 2013, 03:40 AM
Germany, BY
Joined Jan 2005
52 Posts
Here my new Fauvel 1:2,5 (wooden build by Werner Dawert, covered and completed by me ):

more pictures:
click
uwe neesen is online now Find More Posts by uwe neesen
Old May 21, 2013, 11:53 AM
k2k
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined May 2003
434 Posts
Uwe - very nice. How does it fly and what airfoil does it use?
k2k is offline Find More Posts by k2k
Old May 21, 2013, 12:14 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2k View Post
Uwe - very nice. How does it fly and what airfoil does it use?
It looks great.

I agree with Ken's questions!

Greg
Old May 21, 2013, 01:31 PM
Germany, BY
Joined Jan 2005
52 Posts
Hi Greg and Ken

thank you very much. I think Werner has used the original Fauvel AV-361 airfoil, but i don't know exactely. I have to asked him.

This Fauvel flies very well, perfect in thermals. The sinkrate is a little bit higher then with a "normal" glider (Ka6...) out of this years, i think. But it looks very good in the air and at the ground, i like it...
uwe neesen is online now Find More Posts by uwe neesen
Old May 21, 2013, 01:56 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Jun 2000
5,597 Posts
Ok, Greg, Ken, we need to get three out here on the left coast!

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan