HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2011, 05:31 PM
k2k
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined May 2003
434 Posts
Greg and the Gang –

One of the problems with mine was a very nasty bouncing back and forth between the wheel and the skid. This is actually scale, but highly undesirable. There are two videos on the net which show this happening to full size 36 CR’s. The cure for this is to get the wing at a negative angle of attack when the plane is sitting on the ground. Since one of my wheel brackets broke early on, I replaced them with a ply box and steel brackets with the axle slightly higher. Instead of a 3.5” wheel I used a 2.5” wheel. The plane was so glued to the ground on take-off I almost couldn’t get it off the runway. I’m now using a 3” wheel which still requires a good amount of elevator to get it airborne but on landing it doesn’t bounce.

It is also a good idea to get this sorted out for a slope plane. The effect on the slope is for it to bounce the nose up and keep going up if the wind gets under the wing. You want it to set down and stay down. Making the back of the skid go down lower would also do the trick.

Also, be aware of another nasty scale characteristic – ground looping. If you catch a wing tip on landing there’s nothing you can do to stop it. I did it with mine at Torrey. Fortunately no damage.
k2k is offline Find More Posts by k2k
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2011, 04:24 AM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,451 Posts
k2k Thanks for that.
GeeW is online now Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Jul 10, 2011, 03:10 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,812 Posts
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the tips. I also noticed both of those scale tendecies watching videos of models and the real thing. I will defintely keep them in mind.

Did you ever take any construction photo's of your build?

Cheers

Greg
Greg Beshouri is online now Find More Posts by Greg Beshouri
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:47 AM
k2k
Joined May 2003
434 Posts
I did take some pictures of how I did the split flaps and mods to the fins so that I could make them removable. They recommended gluing the fins to the center panel which would have made a very cumbersome assembly for transportation. If anyone wants to see them I would be happy to post or email them. I guess for a truely scale AV-36 I should have made it a one piece airplane and just tied it to the top of the van.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:10 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,812 Posts
He Ken, I would love to see any pictures you have.

Some of the guys I fly electrics with do tie them to the top of their cars....
Old Jul 11, 2011, 01:47 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,451 Posts
Ken
I would also like to see any AV-36 images you care to post.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:00 PM
k2k
Joined May 2003
434 Posts
Here is how I did the split flaps. The component parts are shown in the first photo. The flap was constructed out of a 1/16” balsa core with a layer of carbon bagged onto each side. On the outside surface underneath the carbon is a strip of 1.4 oz Kevlar on the bias for a live hinge. The inner surface was cut down to the Kevlar using a jig saw blade hand held and drawn against a steel ruler. The outer surface was grooved with a triangle file down to the Kevlar. Carefully sand or file both sides until a nice flexible hinge is achieved without damaging the Kevlar.

The box was made with a balsa floor, balsa edges on the sides and rear, and a ply strip at the front for screwing the flap to. The recess in the wing was routed out to the correct depth then the floor was installed with polyurethane glue. The servo hole was routed out and a ply mounting plate glued in. A piece of G10 provides the control horn on the flap.

The servo is set up so that it has over center geometry when the flap is retracted – the hole in the control horn, the center of the servo arm, and the ball link are in a line. So no load on the servo and the flap is firmly closed. I had to program the servo for about 160 degrees of throw.

I'll detail the fin tomorrow night.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:05 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,812 Posts
Very Nice.

How did you select the dimensions and location of the flap?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 09:26 PM
k2k
Joined May 2003
434 Posts
Greg -

One of the flaps had been penciled in on the bottom of the wing but it conflicted with what was diagramed in the 3 view accompanying the model. The 3 view showed the flaps aligned straight across the span which is what I did. I have subsequently discovered that the penciled outline was correct and that the flaps are oriented at an angle. I'm not sure if they are parallel with the trailing edge or some other angle. I also took the dimensions which were indicated on the 3 view.

I want to acknowledge Jean Claude Gonnin for the seed idea on the fins. You know him from the double tow video of the AV-24 and AV-36. His Aeronaught AV-361 has the fins sandwiched between the center and outboard sections.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 03:15 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,451 Posts
OK chaps, time for me to fess up!
Picked up this little cutie today. Needs a bit of tidying and a new elevator servo. Another member of this forum may well recognise it (even though the canopy is not quite correct) from the colour scheme.

Gordon
Old Jul 16, 2011, 03:42 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,509 Posts
Always liked the AV-36...a very cool tailless sailplane.

I would love to have an Aeronaut 3.2m AV-361 (powered version of the Av-36), but the kit is vanishingly rare in this country and the price is very high at over 830 dollars, not counting shipping costs.

http://www.aero-naut.de/no_cache/pro...t%5B%5D=fauvel

The little one in this thread is kind of cool, but they had to compromise the wing planform with more wing area at the tips and it takes away too much of the scale looks for my taste.

There is a 1/4 scale plan from France available for free download from the scalesoaring.co.uk web site:

http://www.scalesoaring.co.uk/VINTAG...36_plans1.html

Caution...this plan is two pages and are a little over 7 meg each.

GeeW, your model appears to be the one pictured on that very link above. (Not from the French plan, I think, but the other design by Gordon Waite mentoned at the top of the page.)
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Jul 16, 2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 04:14 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,451 Posts
Thomas B
Correct on it being the one pictured and from the Gordon Waite stable.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 09:36 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,812 Posts
Ken,

Thanks for the pict's.

Gordon, very cool Fauvel.

Thomas, I did not know Aeronaut made a Fauvel. I agree the mini is less scale. As I said, I want to try it out. If I like the flight characteristics, I will will get the 1/4 scale. I joined a club with a big slope just for that purpose.....
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:09 AM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,680 Posts
For what it's worth I've started work on a Rhino 3d model of a ~3.5m (~25%) AV-45. As mentioned in an earlier post I've got PDF drawings. I'm using those to create a 3 view with reasonably accurate fuselage cross section curves.

Brian
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
Last edited by cpdude; Jul 19, 2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:33 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,812 Posts
Making Progress

Finished covering the wing and hinging the ailerons and elevator.

That is one BIG wing to cover!

Got a rattle can of red for the fuse and the fins. As soon as I get back from my next trip....