HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2011, 06:18 PM
United States, NY, Yonkers
Joined May 2010
195 Posts
Discussion
Setting Flybar Paddles

Can anyone give me an idea on how I should set the flybar paddles on a fixed pitch heli like a Honey Bee v2 ? Should they be set perfectly level ? Or should they be tilted slightly ? If so then by approx what angle. How will different settings affect the behavior ?
Dimateo is offline Find More Posts by Dimateo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2011, 07:53 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
I always set mine slightly positive (leading edge up) by 1-3*. The exact angle isn't critical but it's fairly important both sides are set the same.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jul 03, 2011, 08:19 PM
Joined May 2010
195 Posts
Thank you.
Old Jul 03, 2011, 08:50 PM
MOD IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!
Joined Jul 2009
636 Posts
For a honey bee newb i'd say try to keep them as level as possible until you can fly fast forward flight, then play with positive pitch. Level = no drift in a hover if you have your bee set-up right. A little forward drift in FFF is ok though.............Kato
katoace is online now Find More Posts by katoace
Old Jul 03, 2011, 08:59 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
I always figured that FP heli's are hard enough to fly to be worth setting up as perfectly as possible. Level paddles seemed to give the best cyclic control but I never did much outdoor flying with the little dickens!
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Jul 03, 2011, 09:05 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
HBFP was very floaty in any wind at all. I seldom flew it outside my living room. Sold it to someone who wanted one but couldn't find stock.

450s have level paddles but their head has absolutely nothing in common with HBFP.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jul 03, 2011, 09:20 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,550 Posts
yes, level is better !!!! if you are just learning to hover....keep the weights all the way up against the paddles
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Jul 03, 2011, 09:36 PM
Joined May 2010
195 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll keep them level. I've been flying for a while and I can hover very well. But a lot of the time I take it out into the back yard where I don't have much room for fast flight. So keeping them level should be adequate for me being I am mostly hovering or doing slow maneuvers.
Old Jul 03, 2011, 09:37 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
The HB FP is great for learning nose-in and backwards circles.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Jul 06, 2011, 02:17 PM
United States, MO, KCMO
Joined Apr 2011
4 Posts
Negative fly bar pitch is the best

If you have a positive pitch it helps with hovering only! Set your pitch slightly negative and it will make a big improvement on handling wind during fast forward flight. Also get a 190mm fly bar for a trex 250 with trex 450 paddles. It makes it respond better with out doing the bell-hiller mod.
King.7200 is offline Find More Posts by King.7200
Old Jul 08, 2011, 03:00 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,524 Posts
This is a great resource for how to align your flybar:

http://www.raptortechnique.com/flybar.htm
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Jul 08, 2011, 05:31 PM
LOOK MOM! TEN THUMBS!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Aug 2009
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by King.7200 View Post
If you have a positive pitch it helps with hovering only! Set your pitch slightly negative and it will make a big improvement on handling wind during fast forward flight. Also get a 190mm fly bar for a trex 250 with trex 450 paddles. It makes it respond better with out doing the bell-hiller mod.

Ive NEVER heard of anybody setting negative pitch on their flybar paddles.
(of course I freely admit that I dont know everything)

I Have heard of people learning to hover adding some positive pitch to their flybar paddles (no more than 5 deg.) because it helps to tame down the cyclic response.
But when you get into forward flight you will need to level out your paddles because your heli will tend to balloon with pos. pitch in your paddles.

Adding neg. pitch doesnt make sense to me.... it seems that your paddles would be driving down while your blades would be pulling up, and they would just be fighting against each other. shortening your flight time, adding more wear, requiring your electronic to work harder (read amp draw) possibly puffing your batteries and countless other problems.

Am I wrong?

Also the longer the flybar and heavier the weight out at the end will make the heli more stable in a hover. So a 450 flybar with 450 paddles and movable weights (from say a HBFP V1) would be more stable.
desertdweller is offline Find More Posts by desertdweller