Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 03, 2011, 04:35 PM
United States, UT, St George
Joined Feb 2004
80 Posts
Discussion
What's the next step up from the Parkzone T-28? Ready for my next plane.

Been flying the wings off the T-28 and think I would like to try something new. What's the progression from the T-28? I really like the BNF planes cause I don't want to spend forever building but if there are some that don't take a week to assemble I would be cool with that also as long as the kit comes with Motor, prop, servo's control rods, horns etc. Just hoping to find something I like as much as this T-28. What a blast it has been. So what would you say would be a step up? I am enjoying the warbirds though.
lacofdfireman is offline Find More Posts by lacofdfireman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2011, 04:55 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,269 Posts
Corsair, p-47,
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big fpv weekend
Old Jul 03, 2011, 05:15 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabatman View Post
Corsair, p-47,
+1--both great planes. I got the Corsair at about your stage, 1 or 1-1/2 years ago, and still love it. I fly it every session. The P-47's great too, and allows you to add flaps and/or retracts as you progress.
GradyLee is online now Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Jul 03, 2011, 06:09 PM
Jimmy
United States, NJ, Highland Lakes
Joined Oct 2008
754 Posts
Corsair, then P-47 I think.
Jimmy1159 is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy1159
Old Jul 03, 2011, 06:26 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
The P-47 has better ground handling manners than the Corsair. IMO
And you can add retracts and flap if you like.
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jul 03, 2011, 06:49 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,241 Posts
Depends on what you want. IMO the Corsair is as easy to fly as the T-28. P-47 is a nice step up. If you want to step outside warbirds the Extra 300 is pretty fun, as is the Stryker Q. If you start with lower rates, the E-flite Carbon Z Yak 54 is also a blast, and probably within your reach, skill-wise.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 03, 2011, 07:49 PM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,493 Posts
I had my P-47 before my Corsair and I think that the Corsair is probably a step back in performance from the P-47. Like Dave said, it's a lot like the T-28.

The P-47 is a great plane, especially when you add the flaps and retracts. The gear is nice and wide and ground handling is great. It's my absolute favorite plane and it screams in the air when it's cleaned-up (gear up). If you've mastered the T-28, the P-47 will be a lot of fun for you.
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
Old Jul 03, 2011, 08:48 PM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,418 Posts
Once in the air, the Corsair and the T-28 are almost identical in their flying. They fly at the same speed, they react to wind identically, the T-28 loops a LITTLE bit better, the Corsair rolls a LITTLE bit better. The big difference is in the taking off and landing. The T-28 is a piece of cake. The Corsair is a coompletely different story. Assuming you will be using the landing gear, the Corsair tries to turn left and requires a lot of right rudder to keep it going straight. As soon as it clears the ground it will veer right if you havn't straightened out the rudder at the moment of take off. Once it clear the ground, give it a second otr two to pick up speed before going into a steep climb. On landing, the corsair has a naasty tendency to nose over. Bend the wheels slight ly forward to reduce this tendency. Also, as soon as the plane is on the ground and starts to slow down, give it up elevator to settle the tail down. Don't give the up elevator too soon or it will attmmpt to climb and can stall.

Get the Corsair if you want the challenge of learning take-offs and landings. Once you learn the Corsair, you can tackle just about any plane.

However, if you want to go for something different, PZ gives you plenty of options. P-47 if you like bigger planes, Mustang or Wildcat if you like something smaller. Although the Mustang and Wildcat don't come with landing gear, its a very simple conversion. I've explained it on several threads in the past and would be glad to help you. Of course if you will be handlaunchnig then its a moot point. The Bf-109 is also a very nice plane, but many people have hard tie with take-offs and landings. I'm quite certain that I'm the odd ball out because I find the Bf-109 very easy to take off and land. The Stryker is a nice pane but its quite fast an easy to loose orientation. You might be better off waiting on that one.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Jul 03, 2011, 11:50 PM
United States, UT, St George
Joined Feb 2004
80 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I am leaning towards the P47 with the Corsair a close second. I am sure either one will be fun to fly. I will have to go to my LHS on tuesday and check them both out and decide. Hopefully by weeks end I will be flying something different than the T-28 even though I am still having a great time flying it..
lacofdfireman is offline Find More Posts by lacofdfireman
Old Jul 04, 2011, 09:58 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Let us know what you pick up. And a flight report! TW
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jul 04, 2011, 10:18 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
Been flying the wings off the T-28 and think I would like to try something new. What's the progression from the T-28?
I would say, from a strictly flying stand point.... the P-47 is a step in the right direction plus you'll have retracts and flaps...... but if you want to push the envelope a bit more in your flying and don't care if it's a belly lander, try the PZ P-51 with a power 10 upgrade...
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Jul 05, 2011, 02:43 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
Been flying the wings off the T-28 and think I would like to try something new. What's the progression from the T-28? I really like the BNF planes cause I don't want to spend forever building but if there are some that don't take a week to assemble I would be cool with that also as long as the kit comes with Motor, prop, servo's control rods, horns etc. Just hoping to find something I like as much as this T-28. What a blast it has been. So what would you say would be a step up? I am enjoying the warbirds though.
the Parkzone P-51 Gunfighter is a total blast.

Also, the T-28 (and P-51) both turn into hot rods with the E-Flite Power .10 motor, Castle Thunderbird 54 ESC, 2200mah 30C+ 3s batteries and a 10 x 8 prop. If you are digging the T-28, add this extra power and see what I'm talking about. (no customizing required as the motor is the same size and bolt pattern as the stock Parkzone 480.)

Then add some lights and fly at dusk...then try it at night....
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Jul 05, 2011, 04:04 AM
Dublin, Ireland
Joined Nov 2010
71 Posts
The Trojan is a great plane, fairly aerobatic but forgiving up to a point and I love flying her. However, I find my P51 Mustang a better plane to fly, sharper, more manouverable and looks damn good flying past at head height. As a belly lander, you won't need a putting green to land her.

Another option is the F4F Wildcat. She is as fast at the Mustang and as manouverable. Sharp rolls and loops are her forte. However she can suffer a bit in windy conditions due to her fat body and short wings. Again she's a belly lander so can land on any grassy strip. Its always a toss up which one I'll bring out to fly.

Then there's the Me109 if you want more of a challenge. She looks damn good in the air, quite menacing when banking out of a turn and screaming down at you like a true warbird. She can be a little tricky to launch and fly but if you don't push the envelope, you won't improve your flying skills.

I don't have the P47 or the Corsair so can't comment on them. However several friends fly the "Jug" and they think she's a great airplane.
Irish Viper is offline Find More Posts by Irish Viper
Old Jul 05, 2011, 06:26 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2010
783 Posts
I had a T-28 last season and then went to a EFlite T-34 with the P-32 motor...the T-34 flies very similar to the T-28 and I would consider it the next step if you really like the Trojan....
It was by far the easiest build I've had to do...If I remember right it took me just a couple nights of bolting things together...
Word of advice though, if the T-34 makes your short list, don't put the P-25 with a 3s battery in it....the difference is night and day from the P-32 and P-25 for this bird...

Jazzbone
JazzboneCuit is offline Find More Posts by JazzboneCuit