Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 03, 2011, 11:15 AM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,690 Posts
Build Log
Shark Bait inspired FatBach(for lack of a better name) PDF Plans added Pics Added

well I dont have the time to start another build right away but I was tinkering around lastnight with my sbach plans I designed awhile back and I decided the sbach will make a nice new version of the sharkbait.

I did a quick sketch up of some plans if anyone want to try to build it before me. but I will prob start a build in the next few weeks.here are the plans I fixed the scale on them so all should work fine now if you wish to try this build.
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
Last edited by TheOne420; Jul 12, 2011 at 09:39 PM. Reason: added new pdf file
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2011, 01:52 AM
Tualatin, OR
Joined Oct 2009
273 Posts
Looks pretty cool. I love my sharkbait and if this flies anything like it you'll have a winner.

Gary
gjalbert is offline Find More Posts by gjalbert
Old Jul 06, 2011, 11:54 AM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,690 Posts
I fixed the plans so they should match up with each other better than before.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 06:20 PM
-Daniel
United States, TX, Ennis
Joined Mar 2008
177 Posts
What are the specs on this plane? Wingspan, motor?
RCDUD3 is offline Find More Posts by RCDUD3
Old Jul 06, 2011, 06:53 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,690 Posts
it is just under 20"ws and will prob work well with a 10gram to 25gram motor with a 5"-7" prop. something around 5 grams for the servos should be good and keep it around 4 oz's but with the wing surface you should be fine with a 6oz plane. foam either 3mm for a light build with some carbon rods for spars or 6mm foam for a little stiffer build or even foam board without the paper and bamboo skewrs for spars it should all work with this plane.
I have not built it yet. I just made the plans and put them to the side while I work on a rubberband power plane conversion to brushless that I just started.

I do have a 5.4gram AP05 motor just sitting here maybe I will try a 14"ws first but the 20"ws is more around the size most people will have extra gear for. it should be a simple build using a setup that will work for something 4-6oz's
Last edited by TheOne420; Jul 06, 2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 09:38 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,690 Posts
Ok I couldnt hold off any longer and the only gear I had sitting around was my micro sukhoi guts so I made the wingspan at aprox 14" and cut out the plans. while I was cutting I decided to cut 2 side view sections and make it a box fuse toon thingy. I hope it will fly, the fat nose may cause problems. But I will see soon, hopefully tomorrow
here are some pics of what it looks like and if it flies anything like the glide tests this will be a must have for all sharkbait fans.
less than 30grams as it sits with no battery or servo links
Old Jul 13, 2011, 05:01 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Your fattie is looking cool enough. I hope it flies well.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:09 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
Hi Donald
I thought this was going to be another profile, but it's a fatty... yaaaee.

I think I would make the nose a little less of a wind catcher.

Lookin good T1... I'm watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn View Post
Your fattie is looking cool enough. I hope it flies well.
larryross is offline Find More Posts by larryross
Last edited by larryross; Jul 14, 2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:18 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,690 Posts
yeah I am thinking the same thing about the nose but I almost have this one complete so I will prob just cut it up and add mods till it looks and flies right. my fingers are still crossed.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 01:17 AM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
I am curious as to how that Vstab and rudder work out. Almost no Vstab and very large rudder. Watching with interest.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 07:35 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,690 Posts
well it does fly but it is under powered for the dying 4-site motor I have so I am thinking of making a 18" ws with a 5.4g ap05 motor now that I know it will fly.
I am not done messing with the micro. I am thinking all I need to do is move some weight to get the cg more forward then try again. Ill keep you posted and see if I cant get some video.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:33 AM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
Have you streamlined the nose yet? Might help the power situation a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
well it does fly but it is under powered for the dying 4-site motor I have so I am thinking of making a 18" ws with a 5.4g ap05 motor now that I know it will fly.
I am not done messing with the micro. I am thinking all I need to do is move some weight to get the cg more forward then try again. Ill keep you posted and see if I cant get some video.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:11 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined May 2011
141 Posts
this looks like a great sized little plane. im keen to try this one cos its exactly the sort of size i want for my back yard. will be my first attempt at building. cant wait to see it fly!
beatlejohn is offline Find More Posts by beatlejohn
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:18 AM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,690 Posts
I have upsized to 80% the original plans and it flies very nice it will roll like a drill and loop on a dime. i am using a undersized motor and it still flies great but with a 6" prop it gets hot so I will need to change the motor and see how it runs but I think if you do the size of the plans the way it is with the recomended gear 10-20gram motor with 5gram servos it should fly like a dream.

I will get new pics and updated plans up this week hopefully.

I just saw the gear you posted that you have in the sharkbait thread and I think if you are going 1s you should go with 3mm depron and 14"ws. make it light as possible I would just do it as a profile plane also to save a lot of weight thatsetup wont handle.
Last edited by TheOne420; Jul 25, 2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:54 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined May 2011
141 Posts
hi mate thanks for yr reply.
just noticed u did a 13inch version of the sharkbait. would that suit my gear that i posted better? im really just looking for a slow little back yard plane. am i on the right track with this sort of model? its my first go at building. do u have plans for the 13inch u made?
beatlejohn is offline Find More Posts by beatlejohn