HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:25 PM
Sedona, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwalton View Post
Sorry to be pounding the questions this weekend - I've put the cyclones in the CS housing and screwed in. I centered it with the caliper.

Problem is the shaft for the delta v fan is the type that has a collet that slides over the threaded shaft vs a set screw shaft like the one with the CS fan. As tight as i screw the spinner (to the point where the collet is all the way to the end of the shaft), it's still too loose for the Cyclone motor shaft.

The guys at Horizon said the Delta V fan fits a 3.17 or 4mm shaft.

Did you have to do anything to make these fit or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
When I ordered the Cyclone motor, I ordered the 4mm shaft version, not the 3.17. Are you sure you have the 4mm motor? When I used the 4mm collet adapter, it tightens down just fine. I bought the blades and collet adapter seperately from Horizon.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid

And yes, I used one of the two O-rings that came with the Cyclone.
Allelectric is offline Find More Posts by Allelectric
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:32 PM
Lance
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2008
152 Posts
No I ordered the 3.17 motors. There's the problem then. Where did you mount the o-rings?
lwalton is offline Find More Posts by lwalton
Old Jan 03, 2012, 12:51 AM
RCMafia
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Jun 2008
986 Posts
Quote:
No I ordered the 3.17 motors. There's the problem then. Where did you mount the o-rings?
If you ordered the CS 10 blade fan, then you can use the 1 or 2 adaptors. You have have gotten a 4mm and 3.17mm. You might need an o-ring spacer from an apc prop or others to make that Delta V fan fit.
Wefinance01 is offline Find More Posts by Wefinance01
Old Jan 03, 2012, 10:57 AM
Lance
Joined Mar 2008
152 Posts
Yes I do have both 3.17 and 4mm with the CS fan and shroud - but they're too thick in diameter for the delta-v fan to fit over.

I decided against those fans with the 2500kv motor. Going with the CS shroud, delta fan, and cyclone 2500...if the fan fits in the shroud It seems to be scraping a bit.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 07:55 PM
RCMafia
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Jun 2008
986 Posts
Quote:
Yes I do have both 3.17 and 4mm with the CS fan and shroud - but they're too thick in diameter for the delta-v fan to fit over.

I decided against those fans with the 2500kv motor. Going with the CS shroud, delta fan, and cyclone 2500...if the fan fits in the shroud It seems to be scraping a bit.
Humm..interesting......you got a drill press? Might be worth drilling if you still have clearance for a stable fan so it doesnt brake durin flight. Otherwise, you gonna have to balance it perfectly.
Wefinance01 is offline Find More Posts by Wefinance01
Old Jan 03, 2012, 08:16 PM
Born to Live - Live to Fly !
Southern California
Joined Jul 2009
526 Posts
Quote:
Sorry to be pounding the questions this weekend - I've put the cyclones in the CS housing and screwed in. I centered it with the caliper.

Problem is the shaft for the delta v fan is the type that has a collet that slides over the threaded shaft vs a set screw shaft like the one with the CS fan. As tight as i screw the spinner (to the point where the collet is all the way to the end of the shaft), it's still too loose for the Cyclone motor shaft.

The guys at Horizon said the Delta V fan fits a 3.17 or 4mm shaft.

Did you have to do anything to make these fit or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
Just a thought, If you are using the right collet. Sometimes with those collets you hit the end of the threads. Even though the nut is tight the collet still won't grab the shaft. The solution is to put a washer, or a thicker washer on the collet shaft between the impeller and the tightening nut. That way you are still pulling the collet closed without jamming against the end of the threads. Just a thought.
stevekott is offline Find More Posts by stevekott
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:05 PM
So many planes, So little time
United States, OR, North Plains
Joined Jul 2010
244 Posts
Gear update

Lance,
I'll post those pictures for you, Something I should say is that I got this idea from Brandon Moon. His video of his gear mod helped me set this plane up.
I found a 0.256 inch carbon fiber hollow tube at the hobby shop for the wing spar. Under ten bucks
Pictures

Name: gear photo's.jpg
Views: 117
Size: 67.6 KB
Description:
This is all that was cut out on the rear, opening filled in with some extra foam I had around.
Name: gear photo's (3).jpg
Views: 122
Size: 74.0 KB
Description:
Here's the front door, the pea pave unit keeps it from opening all the way up.
I took the springs from the stock hinges (little black ones) and added them to the sonic tronic units.
Name: gear photo's (2).jpg
Views: 119
Size: 149.9 KB
Description:
The servo for steering, you can slide it forward or back. Cut a hole where the pea pave (camera) fits to access this servo. Then just tack glue the pea pave on so you can get back in there if you need to.
Name: gear photo's (1).jpg
Views: 114
Size: 193.4 KB
Description:
To fix a bo bo you can cut out some foam like carving a pumpkin top to get at the bad spot. Then just epoxy it back on after the fix.
Name: rear gear.jpg
Views: 105
Size: 128.0 KB
Description:
Here's a spot I cut out to fix the rear gear, glued it right back after the work.
RCLander is a good outfit and they are working on lots of landing gear. Metal gear are coming soon, Max and Tim are good people I just ordered a new EDF from them. I hope to shoot some video this weekend of the a10 in the air.
Xflyfun is offline Find More Posts by Xflyfun
Old Jan 04, 2012, 07:39 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,274 Posts
How are the struts holding up? The Lander's gear I've seen in the past developed slop over time. Nice job on that gear door.
Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Jan 04, 2012, 11:01 AM
Lance
Joined Mar 2008
152 Posts
Steve thanks for the feedback - but I went the financially irresponsible route and bought two cyclones 4mm...here Friday. I put the 3.17s on classifieds - the RMA process back to Hong Kong ain't worth it
Old Jan 04, 2012, 11:02 AM
Lance
Joined Mar 2008
152 Posts
Mike are you saying the struts or the retracts themselves develop the slop?
Old Jan 04, 2012, 11:15 AM
United States, HI, Kapolei
Joined Jan 2007
1,440 Posts
if any one is interested.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1567791
ialso have the cyclone 2500kv for sale.
TIA
Carl
smkn951 is offline Find More Posts by smkn951
Old Jan 04, 2012, 12:06 PM
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,274 Posts
Quote:
Mike are you saying the struts or the retracts themselves develop the slop?
Both over time on my Panther.
Mike
Old Jan 04, 2012, 03:43 PM
Lance
Joined Mar 2008
152 Posts
Great - I just bought a pair
Old Jan 04, 2012, 07:26 PM
So many planes, So little time
United States, OR, North Plains
Joined Jul 2010
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2663 View Post
How are the struts holding up? The Lander's gear I've seen in the past developed slop over time. Nice job on that gear door.
Mike
I think my gear had some slop before I even put them on the plane.
I'm looking forward to seeing better gear on the market soon!
On take off run, you want to add power nice and smoothly
Xflyfun is offline Find More Posts by Xflyfun
Old Jan 05, 2012, 07:39 AM
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,274 Posts
The E Flights I'm using ( the 25-46) are the tightest gear I've seen. A bit pricey but I've had no issues at all. I liked them so much I also used a set in my Skyraider.
Mike