HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:21 PM
springfield, missouri
Joined Jan 2008
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN View Post
I just got the A-10 from Banana and it came perfect. To avoid some of the problems that others have posted, I emailed them first to make sure they had one in stock.

First thing I did was to follow their instructions and test the electronics. The only electronics that came with the airframe kit were the retracts. So, I tested one....bad move, burned it up, didn't know about the adapter and plugged it direct into the RX. Going to use E-Flite .46 retracts instead.

I noticed that one of you guys used the 46 retracts, made a plywood plate for mounting. I was planning the same thing, but intended on making a flat plate and keeping the retracts deep with the plane closer to the ground.

Mine will be tentatively powered by the Stock EDF units that were supplied, with motors taken from crashed Nitroplanes Meteors, running on 4S. What do ya think?

Al
like Mike said, I also had an issue with mounting the nose EF 46 retract deep enough. I actually had to glue a back plate in the battery department so I would have something solid to mount too.
mainjet is offline Find More Posts by mainjet
Last edited by mainjet; Apr 17, 2013 at 03:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2011, 06:12 AM
Switching to guns
Joined Dec 2006
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2663 View Post
I didn't need any.
Mike
Mike, you were bang on - maidened the bird today, just needed more up elevator in general, but once trimmed, the flaps worked perfectly.

I had the CG right on 85.

Thanks again for the expert advice, made for a good flight.

Chris
BpwrJet is offline Find More Posts by BpwrJet
Old Jul 16, 2011, 07:00 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,059 Posts
Sweet another hog in the air. Expert, no just someone who enjoys the hobby for what it is. If we can help one guy though a issue with this to get it to fly as it should then it's worth it. Flies great doesn't it? I would just like to thank you guys for posting great info without the BS. I hope this will begin a trend here in the EDF forums. I'm thinking of picking up another airframe to try another set up. I have too many irons in the fire right now though.
Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
Last edited by mike2663; Jul 16, 2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 09:36 AM
Were all gonna' FLY!
USA, MA, Saugus
Joined Sep 2008
171 Posts
Do you guys think I made a right choice by getting 60 amp esc's? I know the stock ones are 50 amp but from what I've read they are not big enough with 6s. I should be out flying my T-28 and Frenzy 50 today, it is absolutly beautiful out, bright blue sky, 80 deg. going to 90, NO humidity, NO wind. BUT I have a new gas stove being delivered today any time between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm...... I guess that narrows it down.
beagleone is offline Find More Posts by beagleone
Old Jul 16, 2011, 09:49 AM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beagleone View Post
Do you guys think I made a right choice by getting 60 amp esc's? I know the stock ones are 50 amp but from what I've read they are not big enough with 6s. I should be out flying my T-28 and Frenzy 50 today, it is absolutly beautiful out, bright blue sky, 80 deg. going to 90, NO humidity, NO wind. BUT I have a new gas stove being delivered today any time between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm...... I guess that narrows it down.
Your ESC choice greatly depends on your choice of motors...and thier amp pull.

the stock LX 2100kv motors are fine with the included 50A ESC's...60A Esc will just give you more head room.

If you choose to use more powerful Motors....then you will need to know what thier rated amp/Current pull is? and with that you decide what would be the ESC's you will need?
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Jul 17, 2011, 01:31 AM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
I'm going to try the stock gear one more time..... Just because they came with the kit. DOH DOH..maybe. But I also have my RC Landers from my crashed A-10 to fall back on... It seems funny that I've flown my SU-47 countless times on the stock gear. It held up fine. They are almost if not the same gear.
DaveBC is offline Find More Posts by DaveBC
Old Jul 17, 2011, 02:20 PM
Joined Apr 2010
4 Posts
HI
My A-10 is build and ready for maiden ,everything is stock.
Do you guys have any tips like how much throws on the ailerons and elevator as well as using expo and how much flaps do you use.

One thing I noticed is when the the landing gear is retracted and you use aielerons ,there is a beeping sound from the controller.Is this normal ?

Has anyone taken off and landed on grass?

Any tips on a succesfull maiden will be apreciated.
parkrc is offline Find More Posts by parkrc
Old Jul 17, 2011, 02:54 PM
Gliding like a rock!
Baltimore, MD
Joined Apr 2007
241 Posts
Don't land on grass with the OE gear.
Oreo is offline Find More Posts by Oreo
Old Jul 17, 2011, 03:23 PM
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,059 Posts
Lots of throw and plenty of expo. The grass will be a issue with those retracts.
Mike
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:18 AM
Joined Apr 2010
4 Posts
Thanks
I will have to look then on upgrading the retracts.
parkrc is offline Find More Posts by parkrc
Old Jul 18, 2011, 06:51 AM
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,059 Posts
Just a shame to tear up a nice airframe like that over the retracts. If you fly off pavement them you'll get some life out of them ( if you can nail every landing) but eventually they will fail.
Mike
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:20 AM
Watts Up?
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2006
1,634 Posts
Well went to maiden but mine never got off the ground. I didn't put less throw or DR for my nose gear. Thinking that ground handling was very solid. It was really great actually. But our run way has a big pot hole that was patched up, but it wasn't enough for my Hog. It ran off the grass and popped out one of my mains. I broke off my gun! What is a Hog with out the gatling gun! Thats was pretty much all the damages everything else is fine. It just suck that my Hog is not a virgin any more and the worse part is she never got off the ground yet!
jet-ster is offline Find More Posts by jet-ster
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:29 AM
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,059 Posts
I hate it when that happens. Glad there was no major damage. Did the retract survive?
Mike
Old Jul 18, 2011, 09:15 AM
Joined Jun 2010
1 Posts
ordered my a10 will be here wednesday kit version. i am going to order the stock motors to use and some 80 amp esc's what servos are you guys using and sounds like i better change landing gear too cause i do need to fly off grass any ideas thanks dave
geker is offline Find More Posts by geker