HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2011, 06:28 AM
Joined May 2009
9 Posts
Discussion
East Coast F3F

Guys,

Anyone interested in in getting a F3F comp up on the East Coast. I have timing gear and so do some others I hear.

Given our prevailing wind conditions, it would be great to fly where there are options within say a 30 min drive to be able to fly SE or NE winds, Lennox has been mentioned as a possibility.

I have flown in many comps in Europe, US and Asia (Typhoon) as well as Esperance in WA (awesome site). The main thing is to have a reasonable landing area and be able to see (and get to) the base turns. The bases need to manned, so everyone usually pitches in to do that.

The scoring software is readiliy available.

Regards

Richard
rjfrawley@gmail.com
Numpt1E is offline Find More Posts by Numpt1E
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2011, 02:35 AM
wyong, NSW, Aust
Joined Apr 2005
386 Posts
Hi,

If I can I would be happy to help run a comp and maybe even give it a try with my Cobra.

Maybe for a bit of lunch time fun we could do some epp wing man on man.

regards,
Arie
glidesailrc is offline Find More Posts by glidesailrc
Old Jul 04, 2011, 03:13 AM
I do this for fun!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,197 Posts
If you come within striking distance of Qld I'm in!

Byron has a couple of likely spots. Ezza can say more if there's interest.
skyboyken is offline Find More Posts by skyboyken
Old Jul 04, 2011, 04:35 AM
It flies!
Joined Jun 2007
1,538 Posts
I'm very keen. Would be happy to travel if there was enough interest. Quite a few guys in QLD, northern NSW are interested. Mt Borah could be a good site IMO.

Sean.
Sean Moloney is offline Find More Posts by Sean Moloney
Old Jul 04, 2011, 09:34 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,062 Posts
I'm keen. We have a northerly and easterly spots. Lennox or Skennars in easterlies. Skennars may be better as access is easy. SE is doable on the small cliff at Skennars. SE corners a bit at Lennox. We also have a private farm that could be a back up site for easterlies.

We have a private site for northerlies, more of a big hill, we need to be careful with that one, not sure he would like a really big event but a small'ish one would be cool.

Mt Borah would be great. Cactus would be great too in a westerly.

Hard part is picking weather. It can blow from any direction but we don't have available slopes facing all directions. Southerlies are hardest to cater for.

After watching the F3F vids of comps in Europe, it seems a small coastal cliff is pretty ideal.

We need to put our heads together and come up with something.

Eric
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Jul 04, 2011, 10:04 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,381 Posts
Trouble you would have with Mt Borah is fitting in with the jelly fish the only reason we have it for a week in September is because Godfrey has nothing going on . However from the west face with a bit of coordination with Godfrey you could run it from the old Hanglider launch site perhaps ? that way the Parragliders can train or compete and you would still get to race ?
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Jul 04, 2011, 10:13 PM
It flies!
Joined Jun 2007
1,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezza View Post

After watching the F3F vids of comps in Europe, it seems a small coastal cliff is pretty ideal.

Eric
I agree, a near vertical site with a square lip would be ideal, the most fun and potentially best times. From my perspective holding it in SE QLD or northern NSW would be preferred but if holding it further south meant more entires that would be the best outcome for all.

If it can be done in WA we can do it on the east coast!
Sean Moloney is offline Find More Posts by Sean Moloney
Old Jul 04, 2011, 11:32 PM
PJM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2004
673 Posts
Haven't heard from you in a long time Richard..

You are right Sean, if we can do it in WA you can do it on the east coast. I have often wondered why it has not taken off over there.

My advice is to choose locations that regularly have the favourable winds at a certain time of year and of coarse hold them during that "season". We only hold comps in Esperance in January now as that is when the afternoon SE really kicks,,,every day... This time of year is hopeless, light winds and mostly totally wrong direction. Also locations where guys don't have to walk far ( park and fly is best ), plus sites that can have someone still flying on the course while someone is landing with out interfearing with each other. Things will run smoother that way, rather than the next pilot having to wait until the previous one has landed. A landing zone that is not going to damage planes is ideal.

Another thing to consider is what divisions to run. For example, we always run an Open class. All planes that compete in the comp are in that class. Then we also have been running a Lightweight comp in conjunction with the Open ( Lightweight 1.5kg or less ) These guys compete amongst themselves and is intended as inexpensive ( lower risk )entry level, they are also scored into the Open class. However at our next comp I am changing the Lightweight class to a 2.05m span or less class, this will allow those that have 2m Typhoons for example or homebrew 2m to compete and be able to ballast up, where as in the Lightweight class they couldn't do that or their 2m plane was only just over 1.5kg. This class is intended to attract more pilots to the event because not everyone has a 2.8m or 3m F3F style plane ( Open class ).

Great to see you guys keen to give it a crack. If you get something up and running and can give me a date for comps I will always try and see if I can organize myself to get to the east coast for it.

Esperance dates are always the week of Australia Day in January. Haven't set the exact dates yet for the next one,but it is a full on week of flying with 1 comp over 2 days plus a warm up comp ( practice comp ) the day prior to the main event. Most stay for 6 or 7 days of flying. We usually have 12 - 15 competitors.

I have probably rambled on enough, hope it all makes some sense... any questions fire away!!!!

Paul
PJM is online now Find More Posts by PJM
Old Jul 05, 2011, 02:45 AM
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,062 Posts
Great advice Paul. Thanks.

I guess our biggest problem is there is never a time of year to guarantee winds from a particular direction. Spring is usually quite consistant northerlies but last year they didn't happen much. I would love to call a comp around here but fear getting skunked especially for those that travel so far.

We have plans at the moment to call an event a few days beforehand when we see the right conditions. Easterlies tend to be forecast quite well. They do tend to happen mostly in summer but can happen anytime of year. I know it won't be helpful to the guys who have to travel far, but we wan't to do one like this as a test event. I really think Skennars is the best place around here to try the first one, long, open, visible cliff edge, with plenty of landing zone in the grass. I have all the gear but need to get better sighting devices for base A and B. I just have two bamboo sticks for both ends at the moment. I'm open to suggestions on what is best there.

It would be fantastic to come over for the Esperance event. Shame it is on the same weekend as Armidale and Camperdown which are both great events. Decisions, decisions.

Eric
Old Jul 06, 2011, 01:27 AM
PJM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2004
673 Posts
For sighting devices we use two camera tripods,one at each Base, with modified flat bases with two 3mm x 300mm carbon rods fitted into holes drilled into the base, these are aligned so you can eye one behind the other on the base. Align one tripod say at base "A" square with the breeze then take a reading against the base with a compass and then set base "B" up using that compass setting.

Paul
PJM is online now Find More Posts by PJM
Old Jul 06, 2011, 05:25 AM
Joined May 2009
9 Posts
Yes, I know I have been a bit absent. I have been flying large scale 1:1 -). Had some good sucess in club class.

I still go to stanwell for a slope thrash, but my comp gene has been arcing up of late. The mouldies are indeed getting mouldy!

Sounds like Lennox area might suit. Can anyone help me out with some googly earth links?

Having tested the Borah, the front slope is good and it right of the flag pole with a bit of addn't chainsaw action. But getting jelly free time could be difficult.

Richard
Numpt1E is offline Find More Posts by Numpt1E
Old Sep 16, 2011, 04:14 AM
wyong, NSW, Aust
Joined Apr 2005
386 Posts
Hi,

Has anybody thought any more about this now summer is on its way?

regards,
Arie
glidesailrc is offline Find More Posts by glidesailrc
Old Sep 16, 2011, 04:31 AM
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,062 Posts
FWIW I'll be taking my F3F gear to Manilla next weekend just incase we get good wind or anybody wants to try it. We set it up on the northern end/old launch a couple years ago. It was good.

Eric
Old Feb 04, 2012, 10:48 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,589 Posts
We've been finding that a ridge near Kilcoy (about an hour NW of Brisbane) although inland seems to get pretty reliable wind most afternoons. So I've started another thread (hadn't seen this one) to kick off an event soon.

Please have a look and register your interest if keen.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1587625
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB