SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 02, 2011, 11:58 PM
Swinger. Heli and planks!
United States, OR, Foster
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
Discussion
Phoenix Models Super Decathlon

Probably my favorite plane of all time, I have had this Decathlon for several years now and it has always been my plane of choice. However, for the past few years its been without an engine. I was installed a OS .70 Surpass in it last summer but found my Rotor guide screw was missing allowing the barrel on the carb to slide out to much.

So, a $2.50 replacement part and a year later it up and running. I am going to be taking it out soon.. Just wanted to share some of my excitement.
BennettOZ84 is offline Find More Posts by BennettOZ84
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2011, 11:23 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,169 Posts
cool!

i saw one of these at our field a couple months back. nice looking kit!
TexasClouds is offline Find More Posts by TexasClouds
Old Jul 05, 2011, 12:30 PM
Cub-O-Holic
Deltona, FL
Joined Dec 2006
587 Posts
Very nice. Glad to hear you got her up and running. If I didn't have so many Cubs or planes for that matter I would get a Decathlon. I really like the style and the reviews I have read have been positive.
gluemaster is offline Find More Posts by gluemaster
Old Jul 05, 2011, 01:40 PM
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
@Texas: They sure are a nice looking bird. I give Phoenix Models some props on this one.

@gluemaster, I really think you can't have to many cubs or such models, each ones flies a little different even if they do look the same! I just love the look of Cubs, Decathlons, Aeronca.... etc...
Old Jul 05, 2011, 02:16 PM
United States, NJ, Middlesex
Joined Feb 2008
1,193 Posts
This was my second plane a few years ago. Great looking and flying plane, but does get a bit dicey when you slow things down a little too much.
RedStarArmy is offline Find More Posts by RedStarArmy
Old Jul 05, 2011, 03:40 PM
Cub-O-Holic
Deltona, FL
Joined Dec 2006
587 Posts
Bennett, I agree. I have two Hangar 9 80" Cubs. The original one that came out years ago with the one piece wing and the later one with the two piece wing and functional struts. They both fly awesome and they both fly just a little different. My World Models clipped wing Cub 48 flies different than both of them, and my little World Models clipped wing Cub ep doesn't even fly like a Cub. I really like the looks of the old school taildraggers.
gluemaster is offline Find More Posts by gluemaster
Old Jul 05, 2011, 09:08 PM
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStarArmy View Post
This was my second plane a few years ago. Great looking and flying plane, but does get a bit dicey when you slow things down a little too much.
RSA: I would totally agree about slow speeds with this model. Its hot and heavy by all means!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 02:25 AM
Green Fuel Boy
United States, OR, Newberg
Joined Sep 2009
65 Posts
Phoenis Models Super Decathlon

I am just following up on the original post. I am in Springfield Oregon. I am selling my Phoenix Models Super Decathlon. I want $60 for the airframe. Or $110 for airframe with Futaba 3003 servos in it. I have lost interest in it and have too many planes. I am going to post it online in a day or two. It will be local pick up. I might drive a reasonable distance to meet.

Thank you
Green Fuel Boy is online now Find More Posts by Green Fuel Boy
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:12 PM
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
Green Fuel Boy: I might have someone interested in your model. I will pass on the information and see if they want it. I will PM ya if so.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 06:24 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,069 Posts
I am hoping for one for x-mas, I haven't heard alot about these planes, but from the way you all talk about them they must be pretty good. I have had two trainers already so I think I will be ready for it, I have been wanting a taildragger for a long time and specifically a H9 cub, but I want some more experience before I buy a 250.00 cub. So with that said, what do you all think of this plane for a person that has had two trainers and a decent amount of flight time? I fly realflight alot to. I have about 300 hours logged in on that.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Dec 14, 2011, 06:33 PM
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
Kyle: I think this would be a good choice for you. This plane really doens't have any bad flying habits, other than you need to land fast, as its not a real great "floater". I currently have a OS .55AX on it and its performance is excellent. Flies great with a .61 4stroke too.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 06:35 PM
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
kyle: Also, for a good second plane that is a tail dragger, I would recommend the H9 Pulse XT in either the 40 or 60 size. They are excellent flying planes!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 07:47 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,069 Posts
Ok. If I get it I will put a evo Pts. in the nose. I can usually grease the landings with my trainer, but that is usually slow. So I guess I will see. Have any of you guys put snow skis on the decathlon?
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:05 PM
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
I don't think the Decathlon would do well with skids for snow. The decathlon is actually pretty sensitive to CG.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 05:58 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,669 Posts
I was wanting one of those...with an electric setup. How do you like it? Do you have a samll gas engine in it? I've seen people do that to this plane...You guys should see the Super Decath at the field.....159" WS!! Twin cilinder 150CC Engine...WHOA!!! Unfortunatly, Before I got there, on the Takeoff the wind took it and tipped it and strpiied an elevator servo... It needed 38 Servos in all! He even put Brushless Digital Futaba Servo's in there...$$$:O
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer