Dynam 5 Channel Trainer T-28 Trojan 1270mm

good for a first plane?
Swert Pertoto is offline Find More Posts by Swert Pertoto
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2011, 11:55 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,112 Posts
Welcome!

If you do a little or a lot of reading, you'll find many threads that will tell you to get a Champ. Get a T-28 only after you train on a trainer, high wing aircraft ... after you have some skills a 4 ch warbird may be in order, but only then. Don't even think about anything more expensive till you know how to fly a basic easy flying trainer ... don't believe sales hype on what they consider beginner planes. Wait for a day with near 0 mph winds and g'luck.

Example thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1464908
immelguy is offline Find More Posts by immelguy
Last edited by immelguy; Jul 03, 2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old Jul 03, 2011, 01:36 AM
New Rochelle, NY
Joined Jun 2008
670 Posts
No, that's a good second plane, depending on what your first one was..

I suggest a four channel high wing trainer... A 4 channel trainer will allow more growth than a 3 channel trainer and maintain the configuration aka aileron control, that is standard on most planes you will fly in the future...

Before you proceed you should read up, and get some sim time in, with a good sim.. If possible get someone who already can fly to assist in your learning and first flights...

Watch how others learn and fly and land and crash--avoid their mistakes..and above all have fun..

Jim
ny_hawk is offline Find More Posts by ny_hawk
Old Jul 03, 2011, 04:46 PM
Joined Nov 2009
130 Posts
thank you! I do want a 4ch to start off with. I keep hearing about the 3ch champ but... I DO NOT want a 3ch plane.
i will read up!
Old Jul 03, 2011, 05:07 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
And why is that? If you're going with a 4 channel airplane, it's best that you seek an experienced modeler to aid you in your 4 channel quest, someone who can buddy box with you.
Xpress.. is online now Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jul 03, 2011, 06:18 PM
Joined Nov 2009
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
And why is that? If you're going with a 4 channel airplane, it's best that you seek an experienced modeler to aid you in your 4 channel quest, someone who can buddy box with you.
I just dont want a 3ch plane. I could disable the ailerons and switch the rudder control over to the ailerons and fly it as a 3ch while I learn.
I do have SOME experience flying airplanes and decent experience with remote control cars(nitro) and own 2 helicopters. I have wanted to be a pilot all my life so since Flight Simulator 2000 came out I have been using it, including 2002, 2004, and FSX. My point here is that I know very well how an airplane works(lift, drag, stalls, etc) and together with my car/heli experience I believe I should be a bit above a total beginner.

The flying experience came form a birthday present I got when I was 16yrs old. I got a hangar 9 rtf nitro 40 trainer. I took it up in the air just fine (with ABSOLUTE NO rc airplnae flying knowledge besides 5-6hrs on a sim) and the problem came when I got blinded by the sun(was not wearing shades) and hit a super tall tree(the only one in the field). After that, I decided to hang up the controller and now almost 5 years later the bug has bit me super hard!

I was looking at this one:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a300-14...d-rtf-24g.html

Like I mentioned earlier, I would disable the ailerons for maiden flight but would probably leave flaps.

Input is welcome, now that I've extended where my rc knowledge stands
Old Jul 03, 2011, 07:02 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swert Pertoto View Post
I just dont want a 3ch plane. I could disable the ailerons and switch the rudder control over to the ailerons and fly it as a 3ch while I learn.
I do have SOME experience flying airplanes and decent experience with remote control cars(nitro) and own 2 helicopters. I have wanted to be a pilot all my life so since Flight Simulator 2000 came out I have been using it, including 2002, 2004, and FSX. My point here is that I know very well how an airplane works(lift, drag, stalls, etc) and together with my car/heli experience I believe I should be a bit above a total beginner.

The flying experience came form a birthday present I got when I was 16yrs old. I got a hangar 9 rtf nitro 40 trainer. I took it up in the air just fine (with ABSOLUTE NO rc airplnae flying knowledge besides 5-6hrs on a sim) and the problem came when I got blinded by the sun(was not wearing shades) and hit a super tall tree(the only one in the field). After that, I decided to hang up the controller and now almost 5 years later the bug has bit me super hard!

Like I mentioned earlier, I would disable the ailerons for maiden flight but would probably leave flaps.

Well....
This was my second plane - after the Champ. It really isn't a "trainer" because it is a monster to handle on the ground on take-off (ROG) and landing as well.
After 4-5 crashes, I dismantled it and went to smaller 4-chl planes like the UM T-28 and UM P-51.
But I also wanted to get a handle on the "largeness" of the Sky Trainer, so I got a Super Cub LP.

After a few months, I brought the Airfield Cessna to a large field with no trees and flew her.

I have to admit, I love Cessna 172 & 182s and after I got the Sky Trainer, all of my learning was focused around flying this particular model. Now that I fly it almost daily, I am still learning how to properly land her.

But your experience is different than mine. But I'd still go with a mid-sized high-wing 4CHL before I got the big bird Cessna.
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Jul 03, 2011, 10:42 PM
New Rochelle, NY
Joined Jun 2008
670 Posts
Quote:

If you fly CP helis and have an experienced pilot to train you then IMO this plane is going to be fairly easy for you.. Still do your homework..

No need to disable the ailerons either IMO.. If you know how to setup helis then apply your config experience to this plane.. Set the controls 'soft', put a slower prop on her and keep it simple on your first flights. If you have an experienced pilot who can work with you then this plane IMO is fine since you already fly helis which are much harder.. Once you get comfortable this plane is fully aerobatic capable..

I didn't find this plane to be hard to handle on the ground or on landing myself and I am no pro. I did change out the pretty wheel pants gear for some monster 3 inch wheels with no pants on..

Check out some videos of folks crashing this plane.. If you understand what they did wrong you should have no trouble..

Good luck..

Jim
Old Jul 05, 2011, 06:33 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Swert - keep us posted. Many think they are naturals to flying and find out different. You may be that one in a ................ BTW, you cannot just disable the ailerons and use the rudder very easily. 3 ch planes have el and rud AND dihedral in the wing to do the turning. Most, not all, 4 ch planes have no or little dihedral. 21 yrs old .... I think I remember that age! GL
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:46 AM
New Rochelle, NY
Joined Jun 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Swert - keep us posted. Many think they are naturals to flying and find out different. You may be that one in a ................ BTW, you cannot just disable the ailerons and use the rudder very easily. 3 ch planes have el and rud AND dihedral in the wing to do the turning. Most, not all, 4 ch planes have no or little dihedral. 21 yrs old .... I think I remember that age! GL
I'm not sure what's at issue here.. Anyone with a personal coach who isn't coordination challenged could learn to fly planes with the 182... This guy already has heli experience and if those are CP choppers then he's already flying machines that are much harder to fly than 182s...

Plenty of people have learned to fly planes on 4 channel trainers... The main issue is the steps taken.. With someone there to save the plane and buddy box with it's not that hard for most people.

Jim
Old Aug 01, 2011, 04:39 PM
Joined Nov 2009
130 Posts
Sorry for the super late reply!
I went with the Super Cub LP and I LOVE IT!
I have had it for a little over 3 weeks now and over 15 flights in it with no crashes and SUPER smooth landings(it rolls on the front two wheels for 5-7 feet before tail wheel touches runway)!
I bought an extra battery... mad dog 35C (which are made here locally) and i get around 18-25 minutes flying time at 50% throttle and randomly bursts of 100% to do loops (no bull!!)
Like I mentioned, I can now do loops, low passes(3 feet) and SOME inverted flying.. its hard to do with a 3ch(or at least for me)
I also got an ammo box from my local military surplus store for 6 dollars to keep my batteries in.

Only 3 weeks into RC and I got myself a new DX8 today and very excited going through the menus and such, I got the one that comes with the free extra AR8000 receiver which from what I understand, the radios that come with the extra AR8 is the one with the updated firmware?
It will be 3-4 weeks before I get my second plane which I'm thinking and ARF but at the same time, I think a 4ch pnp would be more appropriate to get into 4ch+ airplanes.

Any input on a second plane would do! I wanted the T-28 but it only comes ARF and RTF so I'm having second thoughts..

Thank you all and happy happy flying!!
Old Aug 01, 2011, 04:51 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Get a champ to start. It's relaxing and you can get maximum stick time with it because you can fly it in your street after you get good enough with it, and even on your street at night time without any worries about crashing it (obviously after you master it, 7+ flights.)

After that, try landing it in moderate winds (5MPH+). Try landing in cross winds, try landing with the wind, try everything you can imagine with it. Fly the hell out of the champ.

Then and only then, get a UM T-28, rinse and repeat. However I don't believe you should fly your UM T-28 in the street because it does need quite a bit of room and it's a bit quicker. Sometimes the wind pushes your plane off of course and you'll be in brick wall or on top of a roof in no time.

EDIT: Just saw your post above. I'll leave this here for the newbies reading this thread though as my input on the subject.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Aug 01, 2011, 07:05 PM
Joined Nov 2009
130 Posts
I wanted the champ but when i flew the lp in a simulator at a local hobby shop, i was wowed at how it performed.. GREAT power for missed approaches. I will install my dx8 gear in it for now :-)
Old Aug 20, 2011, 04:24 AM
30 mph? I thought it was windy
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2009
18 Posts
Quote:
I have had it for a little over 3 weeks now and over 15 flights in it with no crashes and SUPER smooth landings(it rolls on the front two wheels for 5-7 feet before tail wheel touches runway)!
I bought an extra battery... mad dog 35C (which are made here locally) and i get around 18-25 minutes flying time at 50% throttle and randomly bursts of 100% to do loops (no bull!!)
Like I mentioned, I can now do loops, low passes(3 feet) and SOME inverted flying.. its hard to do with a 3ch(or at least for me)
I also got an ammo box from my local military surplus store for 6 dollars to keep my batteries in.

Only 3 weeks into RC and I got myself a new DX8 today and very excited going through the menus and such, I got the one that comes with the free extra AR8000 receiver which from what I understand, the radios that come with the extra AR8 is the one with the updated firmware?
It will be 3-4 weeks before I get my second plane which I'm thinking and ARF but at the same time, I think a 4ch pnp would be more appropriate to get into 4ch+ airplanes.

Any input on a second plane would do! I wanted the T-28 but it only comes ARF and RTF so I'm having second thoughts..

I know this is a very late reply, but I just had to say that I started this hobby on February 13 2009 with a hobbyzone Super Cub and to this day there is nothing that I can't fly! HZ SuperCub is the greatest!
Mdlav8r is offline Find More Posts by Mdlav8r
Old Aug 20, 2011, 04:37 AM
30 mph? I thought it was windy
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2009
18 Posts
Quote:

Nitroplanes.com has a Dynam T-28 that costs $119.00 with everything but the radio equipment and battery that is a perfect 2nd plane. It even has retracts. Very stable and a very scale looking plane. It blows me away that it costs as little as it does.
Mdlav8r is offline Find More Posts by Mdlav8r