Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:45 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,588 Posts
I once thought "how could they possibly screw up a framing hammer?". Yup, it lasted about two hours on the job site before the head fell off.

But I do like their c-clamps and have had the same experience as Tom with their ratcheting clamps.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:50 AM
Belgium, Vlaams Gewest, Gent
Joined Aug 2011
3 Posts
Tom, maybe a dust of white on top of the yellow will help. (white against the carbon)
For that to work your white must be more opaque then the yellow though ...
Frederik
FrederikD is offline Find More Posts by FrederikD
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:07 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,663 Posts
I've been dusting a bit of silver or white behind the color on a couple of samples. The weight gain of adding this is fairly substantial though, mainly because you have to have enough color laid down so that the finish is opaque.

I'm playing with different paints right now trying to get the "perfect" finish. I guess what I'm arriving at is that I have to use some decent paints that I can reduce and airbrush if I want to keep the weight down. Spraying anything at normal viscosity seems to end up heavier than I'm willing to accept.

Bottom line is that the markings are functional. Pretty would be nice but I'm not willing to gain 10g to get that. A 4-6g weight gain is do-able with good finish but not using the paint I'm used to using. I'm getting very close with a few of the new samples...just hate "wasting" the time to get this right.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:23 AM
Termohlen
Jefferson, MD
Joined Jan 2006
33 Posts
Saw a How It's Made episode on composites a couple nights ago. Showed Inndy cars as examples. They made a point to say that they use "special" light weight paint to cover the black carbon. Problem is, I didn't catch the name of the paint.. but we have a clue.
termohlen is offline Find More Posts by termohlen
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:48 AM
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
2,997 Posts
Tom,
is the wing shown in 1438 your personal ship? If so, wondering if you are going to do the tails in the same yellow stripe. Id enjoy seeing a couple pics of the completed plane, and certainly cant wait to see the amazing evolution in your skills in person. The wing looks... well... one dude said "balls" so ill say "tits".

SEID
VP douche,
SVP Adjectives.
M Seid is online now Find More Posts by M Seid
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:54 AM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,663 Posts
Seid,

Yep... I built that wing out for myself. It's rough. I had some delams from the mold that were fixed with CA so it's not as pretty as the pics. The other two are much much better. All three of these carbon wings will be at JEM along with one of the new production D-box wings with 64g/sm Textreme.

Right now I'm not adding paint to the tails, though it wouldn't be hard at all.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:35 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by termohlen View Post
Saw a How It's Made episode on composites a couple nights ago. Showed Inndy cars as examples. They made a point to say that they use "special" light weight paint to cover the black carbon. Problem is, I didn't catch the name of the paint.. but we have a clue.
Imagine what that stuff costs...
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:04 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
Imagine what that stuff costs...
NO , imagine what he will charge us for using it!!! LOL
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:35 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2010
763 Posts
then factor in the cost of the box he uses.. and add the shipping... yep, the same price you'd pay for any of the top end DLG's.
PS wasn't the paint PPG?
Eric
NCDLG is offline Find More Posts by NCDLG
Last edited by NCDLG; Jan 18, 2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:02 AM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,663 Posts
That's what I'm starting to play with now Eric, yes. It stretches my molding cycle because it's a longer drying / curing cycle for the paints.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:08 PM
Make Flying Fun
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined May 2003
1,464 Posts
Is the jury still out on painting cores or does it reduce adhesion? I'd do a trial layup but I'm lazy now ! Referring to glass layups !
KevinSharbonda is offline Find More Posts by KevinSharbonda
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:26 PM
Graham Kirkland
Port Alfred South Africa
Joined Jun 2009
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinSharbonda View Post
Is the jury still out on painting cores or does it reduce adhesion? I'd do a trial layup but I'm lazy now ! Referring to glass layups !
I routinely paint my cores now for glass layups. I stopped painting the mylars for a period when I was using frekote as a release agent. Not doing that any longer but still paint the cores. I have never had any delam problems with painted cores. I now use a thin layer of clear coat on the core and then the colour. The paints that I am using are acrylics from Faskolor.
Graham
graham1234 is offline Find More Posts by graham1234
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:56 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,588 Posts
Graham, wondering why the first layer of clear coat? And which clear coat (water based?)?
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:38 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,663 Posts
The issue with painting the cores on a molded wing is at the trailing edge. There's a couple mm section of the wing that doesn't have foam in it, but is a sandwich of skin and splooge. That's why I've been sticking to painting the mold surface. When we were doing hollow molded stuff, we could attach the inner glass to the rohacell and paint the rohacell / glass skin but with solid core, it's just not an option.

On a side note, I have been fiddling with Faskolor and it seems like one of my best options so far. If I don't like the PPG stuff I'm playing with now, I'll probably go back to it.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:33 AM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,663 Posts
Announcement time

So I have alluded in the past that I was going to offer these through distribution in the new year... and I'm pleased to announce that I'll be offering the SuperFr3aK exclusively through Skip Miller Models effective today. Skip and I have been working on this deal for quite a while now and it will allow me to concentrate less on maintaining a list and packing / shipping stuff... and more on building cool toys.

Skip will be making announcements on his website shortly as well, so be on the lookout at www.skipmillermodels.com

If you're already on the list and waiting for a ship, I will be contacting you as your spot comes up just like before... but I will not be adding any new names to my list.

Even though I couldn't make the trip, there will be two or three of these ships competing this weekend at the JEM in California, and several more will be making an appearance next month at the East coast contest kickoff in San Felasco Florida. Good luck and have fun this weekend guys.