HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:57 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2010
764 Posts
That finish is dead on balls Mr. Siler!

Thanks for the info Mr. Finch, i figured someone had tried that one already.

Happy New Year!

E
NCDLG is offline Find More Posts by NCDLG
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:00 AM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
566 Posts
I've peeled KlassKote off mylars to weigh them

From my calculations it takes about 3oz of paint to do a 4meter wing... I'm building up a wing for myself and will just barely be doing a dusting. I'm very interested how it will look & weigh.

I've recently seen some of the newer pike perfections and xplorers. Their paint is just slightly more opaque than yours Tom.....
heliwill10 is online now Find More Posts by heliwill10
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:12 PM
Craig B
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Mar 2009
366 Posts
a thought about paint..... although this wouldn't be applicable to all carbon wings, I really like markers for carbon dbox wings. as we are all focused on performance and paint slows down production anyway, what about throwing in a color of choice perm marker with dbox kits in lieu of paint?? you could still do your branded logo, but maybe a few recommended schemes could be posted here to help the less visual people get going. then, folks will be sure to spot their model with custom color and scheme in a gaggle while minimizing added weight. I don't know....maybe folks don't want. that.... just giving my 2cents about what works for me ...:-)
browncbr1 is offline Find More Posts by browncbr1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Supercool V mount
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:51 PM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,704 Posts
How about chome mylar after the clear coat and the roll the resin. very light

Jeff
Goinav8n is online now Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:04 PM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,635 Posts
@Tom: your wings look great and the weights for a full carbon wing are awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browncbr1 View Post
although this wouldn't be applicable to all carbon wings, I really like markers for carbon dbox wings. as we are all focused on performance and paint slows down production anyway, what about throwing in a color of choice perm marker with dbox kits in lieu of paint?? ... just giving my 2cents about what works for me ...:-)
I saw Joe Wurts doing that to his Stobels at the worlds and then also at the last IHLGF. Not the prettiest paint, but effective.

Best,
Reto
RetoF3X is online now Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: US F3B Teamselects
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:29 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,703 Posts
Markers no good frays the glass after a month rub finger over unmarked area very smooth, then rub where you used Marker and rough talking about sharpie.
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:41 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinav8n View Post
How about chome mylar after the clear coat and the roll the resin. very light

Jeff
I just added a patch of thin chrome mylar to the bottom of a panel during the layup. It's shiny alright, but so thin that every fiber shows through. Next time, I'll double up or use thicker stuff.

BavarianCharles is offline Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:46 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,763 Posts
I suppose you could always do the travesty of using some super thin sign vinyl on the outside of the wing. That would be really opaque, not sure what it weighs, and obviously there would be a tiny lip.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:54 PM
Craig B
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Mar 2009
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgeorge View Post
Markers no good frays the glass after a month rub finger over unmarked area very smooth, then rub where you used Marker and rough talking about sharpie.
Hi George,
I used flat tip generic brand perm markers and no change in surface quality yet. I'll keep an eye on them.
browncbr1 is offline Find More Posts by browncbr1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Supercool V mount
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:03 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,739 Posts
I think for now I'll keep dusting paint and play with some different paints. I got a few suggestions from guys in PM that I'll look into.

On a different subject:

Hello, my name is Tom and I have a hoarding problem. My obsessions are foam and clamps.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:11 PM
Joined Oct 2006
84 Posts
You can never have too many clamps... ask anyone with a woodshop. I remember being in Harbor Freight Tools a few years ago when they had some clamps on sale for $2.00. I had a $50.00 on me, and thought "why break it?", so I bought 22 clamps at once.
MarkRebuck is online now Find More Posts by MarkRebuck
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:50 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jun 2005
5,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRebuck View Post
You can never have too many clamps... ask anyone with a woodshop. I remember being in Harbor Freight Tools a few years ago when they had some clamps on sale for $2.00. I had a $50.00 on me, and thought "why break it?", so I bought 22 clamps at once.
I have done same mistake a couple years ago .
Cheap Harbor Freight tools made out of plaster.
Most of these clamps are in the garbage can by now.
You obviously not building much Mark
Yuri.
Dbox is online now Find More Posts by Dbox
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:10 AM
Certifiable User
United States, WA, North Bend
Joined Mar 2011
977 Posts
Ouch... :
killercando is online now Find More Posts by killercando
Last edited by killercando; Jan 02, 2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:11 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,739 Posts
@Yuri,

The clamps in the picture are all from Harbor Freight. I've never broken one and they're used daily. They have some junk but also have some decent tools here and there.

I also have used their A frame press and pancake compressors... a lot. I guess maybe they're inconsistent at least.

I think at last count I had around forty 4" C-clamps plus a half dozen deep throat clamps and some specialty stuff. It only takes one ruined wing due to insufficient clamping to make you go buy another dozen clamps. Then you want to do fuses at the same time... so you buy more... then you decide to cut a second fuse mold... etc.

Again, never too many clamps.

On the flip side, the ratcheting clamps they sell are absolute junk. They won't hold two sheets of paper together without snapping to pieces. I got suckered into buying four of those once in a $2 sale. I think they lasted less than a day in the shop.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:47 PM
Joined Oct 2006
84 Posts
I can't think of a store with a wider variety of quality than Harbor Freight. I have a benchtop drill press that has worked perfectly under a ton of use, and I've had really good luck with their clamps (even the ratchet ones), gloves, and measuring/marking tools. But I also picked up some paint brushes which fell apart when I looked at them wrong, and some various other junk.
MarkRebuck is online now Find More Posts by MarkRebuck