HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:44 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,374 Posts
I'm very thankful for your experiment Tom, that is useful information! Wish I could see an unpainted wing in flight...might be good for a close in ship for light lift.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:07 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,570 Posts
Sam, I probably made six or seven D-box wings before I started painting even a stripe on anything. They weren't hard to see at all, but they blended in with the gaggle of Stobels so well that I needed some paint to differentiate. At the Bruce, Gavin was timing for me in one round and freaking out because he was watching the wrong airplane struggle down low over the valley of death. After arguing with him that I was "fine" for three minutes, I decided that paint was necessary.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:41 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,374 Posts
My issue is determining left from right when circling, usually when low and over the trees. I need some stripes to help my eyes, young as they may be. As you know, the pure carbon birds are the worst and require paint. Can't wait to see one up close!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:22 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,570 Posts
The bottoms of these are pretty well marked. I'm still playing with the paint volume a bit. I'd like the paint markings to be pretty up close, but I'm not yet willing to give away that 5g or so.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:50 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2010
763 Posts
Hey Tom, I'm not sure how your process works with painting, ya I'm a dumbass... looks like the carbon gets it directly?
is there anyway of using a thin film or tissue paper (something like it) instead of/or with the paint? I haven't seen it done like that yet. Seems like it might help prevent the need for extra paint and give a better contrast. Don't know... you are the Master Sir! Stuff is looking better and better all the time.
E
NCDLG is offline Find More Posts by NCDLG
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:20 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,308 Posts
Again Fr3akin sweet! I'm really loving your work Tom!
dbone is offline Find More Posts by dbone
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:30 AM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,570 Posts
Thanks guys.

It's actually painted in the mold but I dust the paint on lightly. I think the look that it gets is from rolling the carbon. Maybe it's trapped air between the carbon strands and the paint? Anyhow it looks great but doesn't have a bold, sharply painted look.

I'm also still playing with LE treatments. The last two wings had a carbon / glass bias wrap 3m77'd to the core like a bagger before molding. I think I like this method as it's a bit lighter than the 12k tows up there, and it's far easier... but I'm worried about the cosmetics if the core moves in the mold a fraction of a mm before closing.

I also made carbon plate from alternating layers of 0/90 and uni 5oz carbon yesterday. Tossed the plate on the CNC and 8 minutes later I had 80 perfect throwing blade blanks. They weigh right on 1.1g and are indestructible by human fingers. I'm now CNCing the control horns and throwing pegs... mostly to save time.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:40 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
20,841 Posts
Here's my very un-scientific thought on how to get your paint on the wings more opaque, and not gain weight. You may have or have not thought of this, just throwing it out there-

Instead of THREE bands of paint on the bottoms, why not combine that amount of paint into ONE larger band, say 1.5x or 2x as wide as one band?
That way, you can put on the paint in a slightly heavier layer, but still use the same amount or less?

The one wide band works well at a distance, I can attest to this in TD flying at extreme distance and altitudes.

Just a thought.
As I mentioned before, the lightness of the paint would never bother me.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:49 AM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,374 Posts
That is an idea. Another is to go fully painted, and dump the clear coat? The B3 Neon Green is really easy to see at a distance. I will say my fully painted orange and white Akcent-2 still disappears at times, but these are times when no amount of paint generally helps.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:51 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDLG View Post
Hey Tom, I'm not sure how your process works with painting, ya I'm a dumbass... looks like the carbon gets it directly?
is there anyway of using a thin film or tissue paper (something like it) instead of/or with the paint? I haven't seen it done like that yet. Seems like it might help prevent the need for extra paint and give a better contrast. Don't know... you are the Master Sir! Stuff is looking better and better all the time.
E
I've done that and in my experience it was quite a bit more heavy than just painting the mylars. The tissue really soaks up epoxy. It turned out "looking" better than my typical paint job though.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:00 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
The bottoms of these are pretty well marked. I'm still playing with the paint volume a bit. I'd like the paint markings to be pretty up close, but I'm not yet willing to give away that 5g or so.
They will blend in with the Blasters just fine. It is hard no matter what paint, when planes are high they all seem to look the same. I can tell mine because of the rudder stands out it seems to glow. Looking good Tom Happy New Year. I have driven a plane into the ground because looked away and flew wrong plane BSA
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:05 AM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgeorge View Post
They will blend in with the Blasters just fine. It is hard no matter what paint, when planes are high they all seem to look the same. I can tell mine because of the rudder stands out it seems to glow. Looking good Tom Happy New Year. I have driven a plane into the ground because looked away and flew wrong plane BSA
Yeah George. I think we all have.

The bars are this way because they're dead easy to paint. I used to do diagonals on the bottom too but those were quite a pain to apply.

Finding something that is unique and easy both is next to impossible.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:10 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,058 Posts
Servo bays....

SCHWIIIINNNNGGGGG!
That's wicked awesome! Party on, Wayne!

Great stuff, Tom!

Jun
(sorry about the SNL refs) LOL
jcats is offline Find More Posts by jcats
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:59 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats View Post
Servo bays....

SCHWIIIINNNNGGGGG!
That's wicked awesome! Party on, Wayne!

Great stuff, Tom!

Jun
(sorry about the SNL refs) LOL
Jun will you be flying those at the Worlds?
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge