SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:39 AM
United States, AZ, Arizona City
Joined Sep 2001
5,001 Posts
Charles,

My experience with the rod in the LE of the foam was very good. The energy seemed to be transferred to the plane that hit me The other wing contained the "crumple zone".

Of course, I never hit anyone. :-O

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:21 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,846 Posts
Unfortunately, I've been in a few mid-airs, as has Phil with his. Plus a few trees... It takes a pretty hard hit for there to be any damage at all with the system I presented. The reason is the back side of the carbon rod is flat, and the rod has stiffness. It distributes the impact load over a wider swath of the leading edge, keeping the compression of the foam below the elastic limit. In other words, no permanent deformation of the foam. And yes, the other plane becomes a crumple zone.

When one manages damage, the damage is quite minor.

There is another hidden benefit that is much less obvious. I've put a plane in, in speed mode, from several hundred feet.... unfortunately into the top of a metal roof. It bounced... The wing had minimal damage and flew again. The leading edge armoring when a carbon rod or even enough carbon tow, acts as a forward spar. The reguar spars act as a rear spar. So for forward impacts one has a pair of spar rods separated by inches and the resulting structure is super stiff and strong. Such wings will survive nose-ins that would totally fold conventional wings.

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:03 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_T View Post
Unfortunately, I've been in a few mid-airs, as has Phil with his. Plus a few trees... It takes a pretty hard hit for there to be any damage at all with the system I presented. The reason is the back side of the carbon rod is flat, and the rod has stiffness. It distributes the impact load over a wider swath of the leading edge, keeping the compression of the foam below the elastic limit. In other words, no permanent deformation of the foam. And yes, the other plane becomes a crumple zone.

When one manages damage, the damage is quite minor.

There is another hidden benefit that is much less obvious. I've put a plane in, in speed mode, from several hundred feet.... unfortunately into the top of a metal roof. It bounced... The wing had minimal damage and flew again. The leading edge armoring when a carbon rod or even enough carbon tow, acts as a forward spar. The reguar spars act as a rear spar. So for forward impacts one has a pair of spar rods separated by inches and the resulting structure is super stiff and strong. Such wings will survive nose-ins that would totally fold conventional wings.

Gerald
Hmmm ... I had better re-read the Edge (?) thread, and try it at least once.

Gary, are you up for a mid-air joust at the Elliot Bowl, or shall we defer this to the Renaissance Festival and charge an attendance fee? If so, then I hope to catch the queen's attention and drape her ribbon over my launch peg.

Here's what I'm talkin' about: http://emol.org/azrenfest/

BavarianCharles is offline Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:53 PM
United States, AZ, Arizona City
Joined Sep 2001
5,001 Posts
Why certainly Charles. Since you challenged me to the joust, I get to set the rules.

Blindfolded, walk 10 paces and throw the glider. The xmtr must be in the possession of the 2nd and cannot be turned on. The second, can instruct the pilot which direction to throw the plane. First guy to hit the other plane wins. Throw till you are out of planes.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:05 PM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
... This is the first SuperFr3aK customer wing. Somebody has an awesome wife who emailed me months ago setting up a SuperFr3aKy Christmas, and it ships out Monday.

...and that happens to be MY awesome wife!! She has always paid attention when I casually talk about planes. She jumped through some hoops to find out how to get a hold of Tom. She dug around and found the email address of Dick Bean, a local pilot who I mentioned had purchased a Fr3aK. She then got in touch with Tom and place the order. She kept this a great secret until a couple weeks ago.

She had a minor stroke at the end of October that only affected the language area of her brain. Fortunately, she is doing well but it is very frustrating for her not to be able to come up with the correct word, or start a sentence only to get to the end and have the punch line word on the tip of her tongue and not be able to vocalize it. Much better than the first few days in the hospital when she was asked what her husband's name was and she quickly replied "pizza"...anyway, we were sitting in the living room doing some Christmas planning when she blurted out "...and I need the rest of the money for your plane" and, realizing what she had said, burst into tears...the one time she wished she would have had trouble with a sentence. When I read Tom's "awesome wife" post, I was pretty sure that it was my awesome wife and the plane that I was looking at was mine, but I didn't let on until I opened the largest present under the tree...my new SuperFr3aK !!

Thanks for helping out Dick, and thanks Tom for a beautifully crafted plane !!
isoarthenland is offline Find More Posts by isoarthenland
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:14 PM
Joined Nov 2007
139 Posts
Dont you just love it when a plan comes together, Russ I am very happy for you getting a new glider and all, but the best part of this story is that your sweet wife is getting better, and will be ok.

Merry Christmas

Dick Bean
Richard L Bean is offline Find More Posts by Richard L Bean
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:22 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,764 Posts
Wow.
I don't know you but wish you and your wife a Merry Xmas, and tell her she is so lovable no matter what she says.
R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:57 PM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L Bean View Post
Dont you just love it when a plan comes together, Russ I am very happy for you getting a new glider and all, but the best part of this story is that your sweet wife is getting better, and will be ok.

Merry Christmas

Dick Bean
Thanks Dick....one year the plan didn't quite come together, for some reason (I had been flying TD for years at the time) she got me a hydroplane for Christmas! That continues to be a source of amusement for us.
isoarthenland is offline Find More Posts by isoarthenland
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:58 PM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,704 Posts
Russ

You indeed have a great wife. She listens to you.... lol. It sounds a thou she is on a good recovery path. Merry Christmas to the both of you

Jeff
Goinav8n is offline Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:00 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,739 Posts
Big smiles here. Janie was fantastic to deal with.

Your hardware package is in a separate box on its way to you. Since this is the first production airplane, please let me know how you like it... The parts came out a couple of grams heavier than I'd like so you have my promise to replace anything that isn't perfectly to your liking. Enjoy your new toy and give Janie a big hug for me.

Merry Christmas.

Tom
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:14 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,804 Posts
Awesome Russ! All the best to you and Janie.

Bring the freak next weekend!
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:14 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,238 Posts
Russ, that's awesome. Sounds like you picked well Glad to hear she's recovering nicely. Congrats on the new plane and Merry Christmas to you both!
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:22 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,095 Posts
Very nice Russ, its a cryin shame your gonna set her up "Backwards/Wrong" and no one local will be able to fly it!!!!

Anyways, Merry Christmas to you, she looks Freakin AWESOME!
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:46 AM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
Russ - Sorry to hear about your wife's challenges, but the real her can not be kept down. Sweet story.

I hope you have the SuperFr3aKy flying by Sat. You will be giving the "big boys" a run for their money. Aw heck...you are one of the big boys.
Hanger Rash is offline Find More Posts by Hanger Rash
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:07 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isoarthenland View Post
...and that happens to be MY awesome wife!! She has always paid attention when I casually talk about planes. She jumped through some hoops to find out how to get a hold of Tom. She dug around and found the email address of Dick Bean, a local pilot who I mentioned had purchased a Fr3aK. She then got in touch with Tom and place the order. She kept this a great secret until a couple weeks ago.

She had a minor stroke at the end of October that only affected the language area of her brain. Fortunately, she is doing well but it is very frustrating for her not to be able to come up with the correct word, or start a sentence only to get to the end and have the punch line word on the tip of her tongue and not be able to vocalize it. Much better than the first few days in the hospital when she was asked what her husband's name was and she quickly replied "pizza"...anyway, we were sitting in the living room doing some Christmas planning when she blurted out "...and I need the rest of the money for your plane" and, realizing what she had said, burst into tears...the one time she wished she would have had trouble with a sentence. When I read Tom's "awesome wife" post, I was pretty sure that it was my awesome wife and the plane that I was looking at was mine, but I didn't let on until I opened the largest present under the tree...my new SuperFr3aK !!

Thanks for helping out Dick, and thanks Tom for a beautifully crafted plane !!
Cool
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge