Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:41 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
Chris,

I just add a 12k spread tow ribbon along the LE in the top and bottom mold before finishing the skins. I'm pretty sure it's significant overkill but I like having it there.

I'll do a "part two" video using the wing to chop apart some household items later. Should be fun.
Maybe you could use it to split some firewood.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:48 PM
SE Michigan
Joined Dec 2007
181 Posts
Having had midairs with hollow molded planes and foam core planes, your video confirms what my in flight crash tests have already told me. This is the reason that I will only buy foam core molded DLGs from now on.
rwait is offline Find More Posts by rwait
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:10 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,604 Posts
Data points are data points and it likely matters more on plane orientation when contact is made as to who comes away with the most damage. John Lovins and I collided at BSoAZ this year. His Concept didn't even have a scratch while my Polaris had a 1 inch gash in the leading edge of the throwing side. I would not have even considered throwing a hollow molded plane with that kind of damage, but a couple pieces of tape over the gash was all I did on the Polaris and went right back out with 100% throws... THAT is what's nice about solid core! And the final repair on the wing was easier than if it was hollow molded.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:23 PM
SE Michigan
Joined Dec 2007
181 Posts
Probably hit his throwing blade would be my guess. I haven't seen a hollow wing that would come out unscathed in a leading edge to leading edge collision with a Polaris as demonstrated in Tom's video.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:35 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,923 Posts
Quote:
I'll do a "part two" video using the wing to chop apart some household items later. Should be fun.
But will it blend?????
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:44 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwait View Post
Probably hit his throwing blade would be my guess. I haven't seen a hollow wing that would come out unscathed in a leading edge to leading edge collision with a Polaris as demonstrated in Tom's video.
Nope, LE to LE. The plane were stuck together
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:48 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,676 Posts
Polaris is solid core but that alone doesn't make it impervious to damage. It's still a very light wing.

Rohacell in the core isn't particularly strong, and if the skins are light and don't have LE reinforcement, they can still slice. I've seen it happen.

Again, the key is that you can tape it up and fly the next round. No delays, no spar damage, no worry about structural failure.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:54 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,604 Posts
Quote:

again, the key is that you can tape it up and fly the next round. No delays, no spar damage, no worry about structural failure.
yes!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:59 PM
SE Michigan
Joined Dec 2007
181 Posts
Didn't say impervious to damage, I believe much less damaged would be accurate. I had a similiar experience at the Bruce this year. A midair with a Steig. He had no damge, I had a two inch long cut in my wing. Since the cut was about 1/32" inch wide with no skin buckling, it was pretty clear what part of his plane hit my wing. Having owned a Steig, I am also pretty sure what would have happened to his leading edge in a direct collision. I taped over the cut and flew the rest of the contest that way.
Last edited by rwait; Dec 21, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:46 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
But will it blend?????
That's EXACTLY where my mind went when I read that! Kinda scary.

Tom,

You mentioned that the rohacell wing had delams clear back to the spar, despite not having any significant LE damage after a few good smacks. Is this type of damage something you've seen before?
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:00 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,676 Posts
Yeah Norm, when you armor a hollow moldie's leading edge like I have in the past, you get compression buckles or wrinkles somewhere aft of the reinforcements when it hits another airframe hard enough. The next strongest part is the spar, so typically you're going to get buckling in the skins at the edges of the spar. Unfortunately you look at the LE where the impact happened and see no damage so you go ahead and throw the airplane and the wing blows up on the ensuing launch. Anybody that saw me fly at the Greensboro NC contest about a year ago got a good laugh out of one such occasion. I launched after hitting myself in the wind and the wing "flapped" as the airplane dove in over the hill. It was funny as hell but cost me an airplane. It got funnier when I pulled it out of the ground and flew it twice more to get short flights with a broken wing. IIRC Gavin was flying my backup at the time.

You're almost better off on hollow molded stuff NOT armoring the LE because you want the damage to be localized to the impact area.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:17 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,643 Posts
I have seen lots damage to all types of DLG including Polaris. I have been in at least 5 midair's and 3 of them I took damage as did other plane and 2 no damage to me. I had a Twister-2 thrown into my Stobel at the Bruce my Stobel might have been 20' hi when hit with full throw. It totally destroyed the Twister-2 Stobel just had some paint on it no real damage. What does that prove nothing. I have midair with Polaris and and we booth took on damage. Tom your wing looks to be strong but are you going to be at a contest and midair on purpose? I think not. Hope to see you fly at Jem keep up the great work cheers.
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:27 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,451 Posts
Anything can happen in a mid air. I had my first DLG midair this year. We hooked wings and tails at about 50' and slowly spiraled to the ground, no worse for the wear. I had a second one with my Fr3aK and my buddies B3. We met LE to LE while circling in opposite directions. Each plane flew away and we finished our respective flights. In the end, he lost a 3" section of his LE. I had a tiny soft spot that I CAed tight again.

Personally, I like what Tom is doing to make his planes more durable. I plan on adding one of his new planes to my stable and durability is a big factor in my decision.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Dec 21, 2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:16 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,874 Posts
It looks like when I get the new wing I could trim the tops of the fir trees with it, and not have to land in them any more

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:21 AM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Yeah Norm, when you armor a hollow moldie's leading edge like I have in the past, you get compression buckles or wrinkles somewhere aft of the reinforcements when it hits another airframe hard enough. The next strongest part is the spar, so typically you're going to get buckling in the skins at the edges of the spar.
Tom,

the potential for damage to structural members of the wing is why I didn't follow GT's method for armoring the LE when that came up in the Edge thread. The energy transferred to the LE has to go somewhere, and so the safe bet is a crumple zone like the one in your car (Not sure abot half/full ton trucks). I'm thinking about adding a 1mm rod underneath the uni "spar" on my next wing, just to keep the wing from flapping wildly in the event of a major mishap.

Cheers, Charles
BavarianCharles is offline Find More Posts by BavarianCharles