HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:59 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,865 Posts
I dont know, but the puma slipper woman for $30.00 sounds cheap. Last time I checked, a Puma woman was 20k plus shipping!
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:11 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,426 Posts
Its a spammer. I reported him so once the mods are back at work he will be gone.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:22 AM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
I dont know, but the puma slipper woman for $30.00 sounds cheap. Last time I checked, a Puma woman was 20k plus shipping!
Jon, you're doing it wrong. $30 is the "rental price."

Back on topic, I'm looking forward to seeing one of the solid core molded SFs up close and personal.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:46 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,526 Posts
Yeah, you know it's fake. No way you're going to get an AF Tank Woman for $17.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:57 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,592 Posts
Changes for the SuperFr3aK

Since I've shipped the first SuperFr3aK I guess I can elaborate on some of the details here.

Tails : same tails you're used to on the Fr3aK with squared tips and super strong at 13-14g per set.

Fuselage : Improved stiffness with AKP (Aft Kick Point) design and kevlar / glass forward section. I am now pre-installing the wing hold down blocks when molding the fuse, as well as shipping the fuselage with holes pre-drilled and tapped. All you have to do is cut a hole to fit your wiring harness connector and bolt on the wing.

Wing : Solid core molded with two layup options currently. The planform is as designed by Gerald Taylor (G_T) with very little modification this time around. The original Fr3aK used his planform but I changed the last few inches toward the tip slightly to ease in manufacturing. This time I stayed very true to Gerald's design including tip shape and the result is a slight improvement in the low speed behavior and a tad bit more dead air time. The standard layup is Textreme spread tow D box and glass over CA safe solid core 70psi foam. Doublers are present over the center section, servo bays, and both tips. Spars are inlaid with 160g/sm unicarbon and servo hatches are molded in with spread tow Textreme covers. Servo wells are routed. wing bolt holes are drilled and countersunk. A conventional throwing blade is provided, as well as pushrod materials and CNC cut control horns for top drive. The LE has inlaid 12k spread tow ribbon carbon for cosmetics and durability. Flapperons are pre-faced as are the trailing edges of the main wing, and Textreme doublers are added where flapperon control horns are mounted. A kevlar strip hinge is molded into the wing, and flapperons are cut and gapped before shipping. Weights on these wings are coming down with every pull, and are currently in the middle 130s, which is the same as the hollow molded Fr3aK wings.

The full carbon option is the same as above but with "Vladimir" biaxial spread tow 45g/sm carbon fabric over the entire wing surface. Textreme doublers are still used underneath the Vladimir carbon skins. Weight is reduced slightly in this layup with no decrease in stiffness.

All wings are painted in the mold with clearcoat on any top surface, along with tip / stripe color and a "Fr3aK" logo. Bottoms are alternating light and dark bars, blue or black with white between. Visibilty is exceptional. Currently custom colors just aren't possible as I'm catching up on backlogged orders.

As these are starting to trickle out (two shipped already and 3 more shipping before end of December) you should start to see them at flying fields near you. I know at least four of these that will be at the JEM in January

Dan Fitzgerald is making wing bags for the SuperFr3aK that fit like a glove as expected. Those are available from Dan directly (danfitz) or from me. These bags give you sun protection as well as ding resistance to keep your Fr3aKs looking good and cool at the field.

Exciting times. I'll post pics of the current color scheme (simplified) later when I pull the first wing.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:37 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,742 Posts
outstanding feature evolution, Tom. I hope you are planning on a little time for yourself over the holidays...
MattN is offline Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:10 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,592 Posts
Yep Matt. I pulled a wing last night (carbon) and have materials prepped for three more. I'll drop a wing tonight, pull it tomorrow, drop another Friday, then I'm off 'till Sunday doing Christmas traveling.

Monday I'm back at it since I only have three fuses made currently... and I need to do tails again as well. This is exciting stuff now that I'm making good wings instead of scrap.

Here are pictures of the latest pull, which will be the normal full carbon layup. It's under 125g trimmed and as expected it's far stiffer than necessary. This one will be in a box headed out west in the next couple of days.

Enjoy the pictures. I'm SOO glad this one came out okay considering the materials cost.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:16 PM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,652 Posts
I love full carbon

Jeff
Goinav8n is offline Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:16 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,865 Posts
Yummy Tom, cant wait to see the kids at the JEM!

The beefy leading edge would save a guy like me much embarrassment when catching it the first time!
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:32 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,676 Posts
When I shake loose some funds I'm going to have to get on the list for one. That is a beautiful plane Tom! Your work has come so far these past few years!

Gerald
G_T is online now Find More Posts by G_T
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:54 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,141 Posts
That carbon wing is SWEET! Tom, your stuff keeps looking better and better. I hope you're quite proud of your work, because you have every right to be. Is your new foam hotwire-able or does it have to be machined?
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:03 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,592 Posts
Machined Brandon. It's PVC based.

Thanks for the complements guys.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:24 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton