HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:21 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,600 Posts
Perfect Phil. Most of mine have a more vertical loop like yours shows. I didn't do a good job of photographing it.

2.5oz... OMG.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:23 PM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,546 Posts
Phil, why such a large cutout under the wing saddle? I normally try to minimize such cut outs (for wing connectors and such) and keep the fuselage as an integral tubular structure as good as it gets..

The ballast handle is nicely shaped and I like the double functionality (handle plus lock against the canopy).

Best,
Reto
RetoF3X is offline Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: more Tweagle testing
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:05 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,168 Posts
Do you not use a ballast tube to keep the weight from bumping your control strings? I don't see anything like that in the pics.
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:35 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,501 Posts
I don't use strings. I use pushrods in teflon tubes. Strings are for girls and tampons.

I have a large cutout in the wing saddle area so that I can lay the underwing connector flat as a five pin wide connector. It made me cringe the first time I did it but I didn't want to change my standard wiring harness connector. I've subjected my Fr3aKs to lots of abuse, including Gavin launches and it has not been a problem.
Phil Barnes is online now Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:52 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,783 Posts
Thanks guys, just what I needed.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:28 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,600 Posts
I use strings primarily because I'm lazy and I run the servo output horns on the throwing peg side of the fuse. When launch forces cause the ballast to push against the fuse side, it's opposite the strings.

I guess I launch like a girl then?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:44 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,347 Posts
I've gotten back in touch with the Fr3aK today. What had happened is that when I repaired the boom I had a little laminating resin on the wing saddle at the rear and I had smoothed it so well with the wrap that I didn't notice it there. It was holding the TE up a little. It flies sooo much better now. I did manage to hit an out of bounds flag with the stab and it cracked and the rudder came loose but those are easy to fix.

I also had a guy tape one of my launches last week and that was very enlightening too. I had begun to throw with too much up and I was hooking the launches too. I guess I was trying too hard. I simply relaxed a little and lowered my release trajectory and viola.... The launch went higher and with less effort. I guess we just need to remind ourselves of those things every so often.

Anyway, the Fr3aK should be good to go for the Nats.

Mike
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:13 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,600 Posts
Latest Project

Pictures from the shop last night. You could make a case that these look better BEFORE waxing and mold release than my old molds looked when I was pulling parts.

Skunkworks back online

I'm calling this the "Fr3aK TS" for now. With a little luck I'll have a wing from this mold set in the air for the NATs in eight days. Two piece molds mean no joiner wrap or process.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:30 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,692 Posts
Tom, those molds look really sweet!

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:35 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
Two piece molds mean no joiner wrap or process.
Looks kickass, Tom. Is that a can of elbow grease I see on the bench in the background?
MattN is online now Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:38 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattN View Post
Looks kickass, Tom. Is that a can of elbow grease I see on the bench in the background?
Nice. Yeah, I still have to use some lube on the stem of my fuse bladders or they won't fit.

No comments from the peanut gallery, please
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:54 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
Nice. Yeah, I still have to use some lube on the stem of my fuse bladders or they won't fit.

No comments from the peanut gallery, please
Try a drop of liquid hand soap instead.

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:24 PM
Team Horizon Pilot :)
O H I O
Joined Jul 2007
1,460 Posts
Sweet
Gavin Trussell is offline Find More Posts by Gavin Trussell
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:08 AM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,501 Posts
I just coat the bladder stem with baby powder. Any kind of liquid lube is too messy and I haven't quite figured out Gerald's method yet, maybe it would work well after seeing it done once.

To apply baby powder, just put some in the palm of your hand and pull the stem through a few times. Makes the stem just as slick as a babies behind.
Phil Barnes is online now Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:16 AM
But I am learning
USA, MD, Cumberland
Joined Apr 2008
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Barnes View Post

To apply baby powder, just put some in the palm of your hand and pull the stem through a few times. Makes the stem just as slick as a babies behind.
No comment

Brian P.
I_Can't_Fly is offline Find More Posts by I_Can't_Fly
RCG Plus Member