HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2012, 06:29 PM
DLG addict
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jan 2005
370 Posts
I apologizes to Mr.Tom and guys to be confused you.
hayataro is offline Find More Posts by hayataro
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2012, 08:55 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,492 Posts
Tom,

Very very interested in your flight report of these...if they hold and don't strip after a few dlg throws they could be very good!
samc99us is online now Find More Posts by samc99us
Old May 21, 2012, 09:57 PM
agnotology
Joined Jan 2007
3,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
Guys, the DSM44 isn't the servo I'm using here. It's probably made in the same place but I'm not sure it's the same servo. Alot of the manufacturers make several different products with different motors or pots or geartrains... some with bushings and some with bearings supporting the output shaft.

I'm doing testing on the ION DS57MG and for now let's assume that they're physically using the same case but may or may not be using the same components.
It would be nice to see the internals side by side to compare them. Does the ION DS57MG have a ball bearing at the top of the output shaft? I can't tell from the photos.

Any chance you could spring for one of the DSM44's and take some photos Tom?

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
Old May 21, 2012, 10:27 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,739 Posts
Yes, and yes. There's a bearing supporting the output.

FWIW I ran them hard with the case open to see how much heat was generated. The motor certainly gets warm but nothing remarkable ie about the same as the 802 / hyperion.

A few more people have their Fr3aKs flying now... come on and give some flight reports good or bad guys.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old May 21, 2012, 10:52 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,430 Posts
I got a chance to fly and toss Brian's Fr3aK this weekend at MARKS, and no doubt its a sweet ride. It handled the air great and was very smooth, like butter, in some really choppy air with no ballast and a suprisingly large amount of camber. The speed range was also very complete and predictable in all modes. Nice work Tom
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old May 22, 2012, 06:30 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,739 Posts
Thanks Kyle. I wish I could have joined you guys... but I'll see you in a couple of weeks at BASS.

Here is the latest set of test tails I've made for the new shape. I really like the cosmetics and unbelievable stiffness of this set.

I think this will be the final for the SuperFr3aK tail. It's official when I make fabric patterns, which are sitting in my basement. With large hardpoints, doublers on both sides of both control surfaces, and kevlar reinforcements on the vertical, they're just 14.8g. It seems like alot until you try to bend the horizontal. It's stiffer than my Pike Perfect stab.
Old May 22, 2012, 07:10 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Those look nice Tom! I installed a Fr3@k vertical last night on my Stobel V3, and tested today. The nicest part is that I was able to reduce the weight of the plane. When first built it weighed 10.5oz, and now it's at 10.37 with possibly a few more grams to save. This vertical is mounted further in( and is possibly lighter, but I don't have the data to support that).

It flies very well, especially compared to the chewed up stock one I replaced , thanks for making it possible.

Also a huge thanks to Brian for such a great purchasing experience! Now when will he be making/supplying the SuperFr3@k tails??? I may have to spring for the whole set next time
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old May 22, 2012, 08:27 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
When Brian or whoever starts making those tails I wanna get a couple sets. I badly need some tail spares for the Fr3aK.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old May 22, 2012, 08:30 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
Oh.... I almost forgot. They look Superfreaky.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old May 25, 2012, 06:51 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,739 Posts
This is what $5000 worth of Rohacell 31IGF looks like. If I think about how many hours in the shop this represents, I think I'll cry.
Old May 26, 2012, 12:22 AM
But I am learning
USA, MD, Cumberland
Joined Apr 2008
1,047 Posts
Drool
I_Can't_Fly is offline Find More Posts by I_Can't_Fly
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2012, 01:27 AM
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,756 Posts
Quote:
This is what $5000 worth of Rohacell 31IGF looks like. If I think about how many hours in the shop this represents, I think I'll cry.
And I will buy.

Tai
tai626 is offline Find More Posts by tai626
Old May 26, 2012, 01:30 AM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,085 Posts
Quote:
i'm sorry, Tom i will let you know how the summer was when its over. come up for air at least every other week i love your commitment!
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2012, 08:29 AM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,739 Posts
Thanks Guys. This is a group order for several of us on the Eastern half of the US. A large portion of it will be consumed in my shop though. Fortunately some of it will be consumed in the shops of others though. I'm very grateful for their help. As for the status of the Fr3aK production, the original list will be completed next week and airplanes should be generally available soon. I'm finally catching up and getting enough stuff produced so that I can build for myself. I might even go practice or fly a contest or two

All of my tail production will be in rohacell starting in a couple of weeks, which makes the tails even a bit stiffer than they already were. I have made several tests over the past month or two using my last few sheets of thicker rohacell to see where weights and stiffness comes with different configurations. Here's a picture I took this morning of a bunch of the varieties. The heaviest pair in the picture below is 14.7g. The lightest is 13.8. I haven't sacrificed thickness or changed my aero properties to chase out foam mass yet, and likely won't.
Last edited by tom43004; May 26, 2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old May 26, 2012, 09:26 AM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
592 Posts
I really like the shape of the new tail set.
danfitz is offline Find More Posts by danfitz