HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2012, 03:42 PM
But I am learning
USA, MD, Cumberland
Joined Apr 2008
1,047 Posts
Anyone have ideas for the attachment point of the ballast? Looks like I an going to need some this weekend. I plan to use the weights on the music wire, just courious how you all have attached it to the fuse.

Thanks, Brian P.
I_Can't_Fly is offline Find More Posts by I_Can't_Fly
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2012, 03:57 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,652 Posts
Post #270 Brian. I'll post some closer pics tonight. I just use a cut off piece of a clothes pin with a small hole drilled, epoxied to the fuse bottom behind the servos.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old May 16, 2012, 09:57 PM
But I am learning
USA, MD, Cumberland
Joined Apr 2008
1,047 Posts
Thanks Tom. Any chance you could get an "as installed" pic please. I use something similar on my last build, but my mounting options were simple, as I had a hole in the servo tray.

Thanks, Brian P.
I_Can't_Fly is offline Find More Posts by I_Can't_Fly
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2012, 03:18 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,430 Posts
Flew the Fr3aK again today. It was light air conditions for the majority of the afternoon. I caught my lowest thermal of all time today at something under 10' I'd say. Heck I was setting up for a catch when I felt the bump. I caught a ton of low level and light lift out there today. That aspect of this plane is remarkable to me. In fact, I had one flight of 3-5 minutes where I barely broke 50' of altitude. My launch was definitely the high point of the flight. It moves out alright but I'm really having fun with it's light air abilities. It makes me look like a better pilot than I am. Great design guys.... Just .....GREAT.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old May 18, 2012, 04:08 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,652 Posts
Glad to hear the two of you are "clicking" Mike.

I have some new servo choices that I'll be trying out this next week in one of my Fr3aKs. I have to say I'm excited to see how these do.

Pictures are attached. The "new" option is the ION DS-57MG from Skip Miller Models. It's an inexpensive servo, around the same price as a Dymond D47, and amazingly enough it's actually SMALLER than a D47 slightly. I show it with Airtronics 802s, JR285/241, JR188, and a D47 for comparisons on size. I'll do a full review after I get some flight time on them.

Initial thoughts are that it easily fits anywhere I want a servo to go. Torque and speed tests on the bench (relatively unscientific) show it clearly faster and stronger than the D47 and DS188, with minimal "metal gear" syndrome around center. With these, I can "gang" two servos together even in my skinny fuses. I have enough of these to test in two airframes for now, and I'll be using these in the fuse and trusty Airtronics 802s on flapperon duty. After I have a chance to test more, I'll likely try a pair of these in a wing with RDS.

Enjoy.
Old May 18, 2012, 05:24 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,709 Posts
Two questions on the new servo. If you provide a sideload to the output shaft, does it shift more or less than a D47? Have you checked resolution, in terms of trim clicks responded to, again compared to D47? It is sounding like an interesting possibility so far!

Thanks,
Gerald
G_T is online now Find More Posts by G_T
Old May 18, 2012, 07:29 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,652 Posts
Yeah Gerald. It's laterally much tighter than a D47. The resolution test is subjective since I have trim step adjustment on the SD-10G but it is definitely tighter on the output shaft than the D47. The horns are of a reasonable quality as well... more stout than the Dymond horns, but obviously nothing like the 9g servos from Airtronics and JR.

Keep in mind also that it's a digital, and the pots seem to be of reasonable quality so there's not alot of "searching" when not loaded. I should get some installation pics off my camera tomorrow.

I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical when Cody first told me about these. So far I'm pleasantly surprised.

We'll see how the flight tests go.

Weights w/o horn -

JR285 - 9.1g
Airtronics802 - 8.9g
JR188 - 6.5g
ION DS57MG - 5.9g
Dymond D4.7 - 4.8g
Old May 19, 2012, 03:06 AM
DLG addict
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jan 2005
370 Posts
Hi Tom-San,

IMO, ION DS57MG should be same as DSM44 Power-HD China.

http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/power-hd/dsm-44

I and my friend had already tried DSM44 for our DLGs for aileron servo. Wings are foam bagged, so , it need slightly higher torque.
I used 2-cell LiFePO4 6.6V for the Rx battery. At the DMSS voltage info, servos worked around 6.6-6.0V. At the begging, servos seem to working well. But about 1 month after, ALL of our servos BURNT. (4). Plastic made casing were melted and controller PCB gone to the ash.

I hope ION is not same DSM44. Please Please evaluate reliability carefully. The cost of DLG is higher than the servo overwhelmingly. And I'm sorry my terrible English.

Haya
hayataro is offline Find More Posts by hayataro
Old May 19, 2012, 08:05 AM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,652 Posts
Hayataro-San,

Thanks for the heads up. I thought these were probably the same servo and you have confirmed it. I will be running them on a two cell lipo with a regulator at 5 volt regulator. we'll see how they hold up.

Tom
Old May 19, 2012, 10:09 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,179 Posts
I've been running DSM44s in a wing for 6 months on a 4 cell NiMH and they've held up fine. Excessive flutter due to unfaced ailerons eventually developed slop in the gear train, though. Perhaps they just don't like higher voltages.

Brandon
bwill6 is online now Find More Posts by bwill6
Old May 19, 2012, 04:08 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,652 Posts
Some more pictures of the "business end" of the servos.

Ball bearing supported output shaft, metal output gears. Well made but scary to think these little gears are all that stands between our beloved models and immediate, certain destruction on launch.
Old May 19, 2012, 06:30 PM
A witty saying proves nothing.
Joined Jan 2007
3,565 Posts
It would be nice if they were decent. The Power HD labelled ones are $7.99 from a US hobby shop:

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-hd-d...cro-servo.html

Unfortunately they don't ship to Canada, and that model hasn't made eBay or HobbyKing yet.

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
Old May 19, 2012, 07:41 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,652 Posts
There have been a few questions asked about the wing bolt locations on the Fr3aKs. If you have servo hatches on the bottom of the wings (newest layup) then your bolts should be at 22mm and 117mm from the LE. We moved the spars forward to accomodate RDS builds. The older layups had hardpoints centered at 35mm and 117mm from the LE. I'll be posting a new version of the instruction manual shortly.

I stopped predrilling them a while back after having some folks that preferred metric hardware. If you have a preference either way (predrilled or not) please let me know.
Old May 20, 2012, 08:43 AM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,828 Posts
Those DSM-44's are a Steal! only $7.99...
Keenan smith is online now Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old May 20, 2012, 09:31 AM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,652 Posts
Guys, the DSM44 isn't the servo I'm using here. It's probably made in the same place but I'm not sure it's the same servo. Alot of the manufacturers make several different products with different motors or pots or geartrains... some with bushings and some with bearings supporting the output shaft.

I'm doing testing on the ION DS57MG and for now let's assume that they're physically using the same case but may or may not be using the same components.