HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2012, 03:05 PM
2013 US F3K Team Manager
Newbury Park, CA
Joined May 2005
1,005 Posts
Looks great Tom! BTW have you validated the AKP with other people throwing yet?

-l
dlgdude is offline Find More Posts by dlgdude
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 03:06 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,595 Posts
Only one other Lex. I'm confident enough in it that I'm going to put it in the kits.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old May 02, 2012, 03:16 PM
But I am learning
USA, MD, Cumberland
Joined Apr 2008
1,047 Posts
Looks much better than the earlier prototype I have. I may have to splurge, and get one of the new ones.

Any update on the second mold set please?

Thanks, Brian P.
I_Can't_Fly is offline Find More Posts by I_Can't_Fly
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2012, 04:37 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
Textreme Spread tow / Kevlar 2.4 friendly fuselage with "AKP" is now standard in the kits.

AKP = Aft Kick Point for those who don't read here daily. Layers of material are manipulated to put the flex point further back on the fuselage.

This is typical of the fuselages coming from the molds lately... at 38g with canopy.
Tom,

are you selling fuses separately, with or without blems? I can do wings, but not the long skinny thing.

BavarianCharles is online now Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
Old May 03, 2012, 09:08 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,595 Posts
I will sell fuselages separately Charles. Send me note at same screen name @ gmail.com for details.

Tom
Old May 03, 2012, 09:10 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarhead00 View Post
Should I just sight from the tail and equalize the rudder area on each side of the surface?
Bob
Yes, that will get you VERY close. I'm not sure you can cut the boom within tenths of a degree, so sighting it is what I do.
Old May 03, 2012, 09:10 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,991 Posts
Those are really cool fuselages Tom! Interesting to hear more about the AKP as more people get their hands on 'em
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old May 03, 2012, 09:24 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,595 Posts
I am too Thomas. It's wierd how different they feel at the release point than the other fuses. I got alot of feedback that the original fuses were too stiff and didn't "yield" enough to feel right. I don't know that I agreed completely, but this fuse definitely has a different feel to it. The concept of how I'm making them is really quite simple, by adding some strategically placed spread tow ribbons in the layup to move the flex points back and concentrate the flex in a point on the fuselage (further aft) where it doesn't have as much leverage on the airframe as a whole.

These fuses have been so good that I really don't know how I can improve them much more. Now I'm working on making the fit and finish just a bit cleaner. My original mold is starting to show wear now after a couple of repairs and probably 100ish parts. I may take the original shape and re-toolpath it to get a cleaner parting plane and sharper seams.
Old May 05, 2012, 05:19 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,332 Posts
OK my Fr3ak showed up today and I'm wondering where I should be balancing it.

Thanks in advance.
Mike
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old May 05, 2012, 06:11 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,595 Posts
I have mine aftish at 73mm right now. Phil flies his quite a bit further forward.

If you start around 70 you should be safe.
Old May 05, 2012, 06:47 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,332 Posts
70... Shoot! I gotta put in a bunch of nose weight. Maybe I should re-mount the servos more forward.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2012, 07:44 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,332 Posts
Alright... Without too much surgery, I got the CG at 71-72mm and an all up weight of 10.2 oz. With a little luck I should maiden it tomorrow. Say, how much elevator throw are you guys using?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2012, 08:53 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,332 Posts
Well, here it is. Initial impressions. Man, is that thing stiff! I went from a used Taboo that was pretty solid to a B3 that I thought was really solid but this thing is an order of magnitude stiffer. At least it feels that way handling it.

The boom is not what I expected. It's sort of bigger than I would have imagined and elliptical in shape. Think squashed.

The pod has plenty of room but it's not what I'd call roomy. It all fits.

The wing is very thin and so are the tail feathers.

The finish is a little rough around the edges compared to my B3 but not bad. A little Monokote polish shined it up nicely.

I'm really pumped to fly it. I hope the weather holds out for me. Gonna shoot for some evening dead air for the first outing.

Cheers,
Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2012, 06:56 AM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,595 Posts
Mike,

The fit and finish of the Blaster is unmatched. Our quality is getting steadily better, and the molding quality of the Blaster is the ultimate goal. Vladimir probably has more invested in tooling on this one airframe than I've spent in my modelling career

Many people think that since this airplane is very thin, it needs to be flown very fast. This is simply NOT the case. Use more camber, trim your elevator to speeds that seem "normal" to you and then start timing your flights. Make small adjustments to camber and trim speed until you find the happy place. As for the boom, that was the first "design" element of the airplane. While Gerald was finishing up the airfoil work on the wing, I was designing a fuselage shape that would be as stiff as possible without being heavy. I started by modelling the servos and radio gear in Rhino, then I created a fuse shape around that with a small amount of "wiggle" room. Your comment sums it up perfectly... everything fits, but there isn't much extra room.

I can't wait to hear how it does for you in the air.
Old May 06, 2012, 10:37 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,689 Posts
Some of the shape of the fuselage is likely a result of Tom's previous fuselage. He made that one have enough room for 285s, provided you sanded the bottom of the case, cut a little off the output shaft and spline at the top, and used the right trimmed-down servo horns! I'm guessing he decided not to inflict that on others...

Gerald
G_T is online now Find More Posts by G_T