HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:00 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Jun 2006
636 Posts
Do you have a part number for that battery? I can try and track it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goeland86 View Post
Btw for those who don't like LiPo, I'm using a LiFe without reg (6.6V max, which my DS09s seem to happily tolerate in my B3). Got a 300mAh from teamorion, but dunno if they're easy to get stateside (their distributor is listed as being Horizon Hobby)
Craig Greening is online now Find More Posts by Craig Greening
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:24 AM
Build, fly, crash. Repeat.
Switzerland, Canton of Neuchâtel, Neuchâtel
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
Craig, part number I don't remember, but I do know this is the battery I had the guy at the LHS order for me: http://teamorion.com/avionics-life-r...c-6.6v-en.html

It's not very big, and just the right weight for a DLG imo.
Goeland86 is offline Find More Posts by Goeland86
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:28 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Jun 2006
636 Posts
It's ORI60501, looks like we didn't pick that one up. We start at ORI60502 which is the 600mAh. I'll see what I can find out.
Craig Greening is online now Find More Posts by Craig Greening
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:56 AM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,085 Posts
Jon,
can you confirm the dimensions of the 300mAh pack quoted on the site? if so, that pack is bigger than the 500mAh 2s LiFe, and a gram or two heavier. that doesnt make sense
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:02 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,846 Posts
It does look larger than something I'd want to put in a DLG. Hopefully the dimensions (particularly width) are quoted incorrectly.

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
Actually I found them to be relatively close - all I can say is that I fit it in the shroud of the B3 and it's a perfect fit - it's about the size of my 7ch RX, though the RX is a bit thinner (with plugs length-wise).

Weight I think isn't too far either, but it's just a few grams away (in the good way for us), probably as a safety margin. I do think it's a little heavier than it needs to be, but most of the excess comes from the extra wrapping imo - they went out of their way to make sure only a very serious accident could damage it. It's all about compromises
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:22 PM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goeland86 View Post
Actually I found them to be relatively close
so....can you give us some dimensions?
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2012, 05:29 PM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,704 Posts
Here is the one I just started using.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ack-66V-500mAh

Slightly porkier than a 380 zippy lipo and a few grams heavier but no regulator so the weights a wash

Here are the specs

Specifications:

Voltage: 6.6v
Capacity: 500mah
Chemistry: LiFePO4
Charge Rate: 1C

Discharge: Futaba Plug
Dimension (LxWxH): 51.7x18.2x18.9mm
Net Weight: 30g

Jeff
Goinav8n is online now Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPC View Post
so....can you give us some dimensions?
paul
I'd say it's within a 2mm margin of the quoted ones in all dimensions. I can't really measure it right now because it would mean taking my B3 apart, which I do not intend to do at midnight when I'm tired and can't see much of the mistakes I would be doing.

If anything it's going to be just a touch under those figures, but not by too much. If I'm trying to procrastinate on Monday I'll pull it out and give you proper measurements, but I don't have a caliper, so it'll be within a mm, not more.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:31 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,739 Posts
I usually budget 26g for the battery and regulator and another 4g for the switchjack. That's in the ballpark for sure.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Mar 23, 2012, 04:33 AM
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
Yep, your plane's made to be light, the B3 on the other hand definitely needs a little extra weight to fly right.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:26 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,739 Posts
Moving the bar again...

Well I don't want to debate altimiter accuracy, but I tested today twenty launches with each of two fuselages, one "old" and one of a new variety. The tails were the same within a couple of tenths of a gram. Throwing out the top and bottom five launches, and averaging the remaining ten, I found an extra 9' in launch height with the new fuse. In disbelief I swapped the wings and threw another five each, and the extra height stayed with the newer fuse. The new fuse is about 6g lighter than the old one, and I did NOT compensate or try to match AUW.

The fuse is the same shape as the old one, I just experimented with moving layers around and shifting the "kick" point a couple of inches further aft. I still need to verify the durability of the new layup before I supply these, but it's exciting to find such a big, "free" performance boost. I had the idea a few weeks ago while playing hockey when I switched to a stick with a lower kick point and noticed how differently it released. I started to wonder how that would apply to our flying toys.

The old fuse had 26 pieces of material in it, and this one has 30 as a point of reference.

I debated with myself about whether or not to share this, and I doubt I'll share the exact details, but I think it will force some of the airplane designers to look at the fuse as something more than just a piece that keeps the flying surfaces in proper alignment. I've been toying with the possibility of a redesign of the fuse, and now I think I WILL work on redesigning it with shape as well to exploit what I've learned here.

Fun stuff.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:39 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Tom, could you explain "kick point". I'm not sure what you mean......and would love to know.

Are you talking about the point at which the fuse bends like in golf shafts? I had to google "kick point".
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:41 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
Moving the bar again...

Well I don't want to debate altimiter accuracy, but I tested today twenty launches with each of two fuselages, one "old" and one of a new variety. The tails were the same within a couple of tenths of a gram. Throwing out the top and bottom five launches, and averaging the remaining ten, I found an extra 9' in launch height with the new fuse. In disbelief I swapped the wings and threw another five each, and the extra height stayed with the newer fuse. The new fuse is about 6g lighter than the old one, and I did NOT compensate or try to match AUW.

The fuse is the same shape as the old one, I just experimented with moving layers around and shifting the "kick" point a couple of inches further aft. I still need to verify the durability of the new layup before I supply these, but it's exciting to find such a big, "free" performance boost. I had the idea a few weeks ago while playing hockey when I switched to a stick with a lower kick point and noticed how differently it released. I started to wonder how that would apply to our flying toys.

The old fuse had 26 pieces of material in it, and this one has 30 as a point of reference.

I debated with myself about whether or not to share this, and I doubt I'll share the exact details, but I think it will force some of the airplane designers to look at the fuse as something more than just a piece that keeps the flying surfaces in proper alignment. I've been toying with the possibility of a redesign of the fuse, and now I think I WILL work on redesigning it with shape as well to exploit what I've learned here.

Fun stuff.
Brings to mind an old post (I believe by Mark Drela), where the hypothesis was raised that a flexible boom with a well-designed "kick" point could be superior to a stiff, but "lifeless" boom. The analogy, I think, was that fish waggle their tails for propulsion, and not their entire body.

Hope you're on to something here, and have empirically found a better solution. It'll be difficult to make an analytical assumption for a composite structure under very dynamic loads. Anyone want to try?

BavarianCharles is offline Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:53 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
Moving the bar again...

Fun stuff.
Smallest things make big difference. Way to go
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge