Geez, those are so cool! Nice job!
MaddSkillz is offline Find More Posts by MaddSkillz
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:26 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,453 Posts
Really nice wings Tom, I'm sad I missed the cutoff for The Bruce entries now! Any chance you are bring some to ECHLGF?
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:10 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,733 Posts
Sam,

Send Bruce an email and you may be able to get in. I know he had a handful of cancellations.

I will certainly be bringing these down to Wilson. I wouldn't miss that contest.

Tails and fuse are in the molds tonight, with one assembled on the bench. Now I just have to find time to do some trim flying between now and the weekend.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:32 PM
Joined Jun 2009
874 Posts
I saw MattN fly one of these this last month at BSOC and man did it go off his hand quick and climb way up. Put me on the list for one.

Matt put in a good word for this old man. I need all the help I can get.

They look real nice Tom

Norm from AZ
Storm51 is offline Find More Posts by Storm51
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:37 PM
Ed White
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Feb 2007
900 Posts
Tom,
Very nice.
Ed
fruitguy is offline Find More Posts by fruitguy
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:27 PM
Jim C
Joined Sep 2009
1,473 Posts
Good stuff Tom. How did that fuse come out you did a couple of weeks ago?

See you in 17 days!
ShadowFalken is offline Find More Posts by ShadowFalken
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:29 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm51 View Post
I saw MattN fly one of these this last month at BSOC and man did it go off his hand quick and climb way up. Put me on the list for one.

Matt put in a good word for this old man. I need all the help I can get.
You got it a little wrong, Norm. My #3 plane (after the two Concepts) is a hacked-together mongrel made with one of Sporter's pods, Swindells tails, and a BAGGED Edge wing from Pyrsly (Seba). I keep bugging Tom about making this ZoneV2 ship available because I really like the way my Edge plane flies (and the way it launches ). The ZoneV2 sounds like a nice refinement of the Edge, and I'd love to try it.

I'd love to put in a good word for you, but so far my word hasn't gotten me very far

-matt
MattN is offline Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2011, 05:54 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,733 Posts
Matt,

I've been very quiet about doing any parts for anyone else because it can get overwhelming very quickly. I also didn't want to do stuff for other people when I wasn't sure the design, fit, and finish were ready. Now that the design is ready, I'm going to do a few after the season is over.

Jim,

That fuse came out great, and left for the Seattle area a few days ago. I've probably built 4-5 fuses since then. All now have kevlar layers and I've pretty much standardized the layup. The fuse with canopy and stab mount has been consistently coming in between 40 and 41 grams. I can make them down to about 35 but I prefer having a bit more structure up front. You typically end up putting a bit of weight in the nose anyhow.

I'll try to post some video after this weekend's contest in Chicago. A friend of mine who is a professional photographer said she would like to come out and watch us play. I told her that if she brings her camera, I'll buy her lunch
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:06 AM
Joined Jun 2009
874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattN View Post
You got it a little wrong, Norm. My #3 plane (after the two Concepts) is a hacked-together mongrel made with one of Sporter's pods, Swindells tails, and a BAGGED Edge wing from Pyrsly (Seba). I keep bugging Tom about making this ZoneV2 ship available because I really like the way my Edge plane flies (and the way it launches ). The ZoneV2 sounds like a nice refinement of the Edge, and I'd love to try it.

I'd love to put in a good word for you, but so far my word hasn't gotten me very far

-matt
sorry Matt.
Storm51 is offline Find More Posts by Storm51
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:28 AM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
Matt,
I've been very quiet about doing any parts for anyone else because it can get overwhelming very quickly. I also didn't want to do stuff for other people when I wasn't sure the design, fit, and finish were ready. Now that the design is ready, I'm going to do a few after the season is over.
Completely understand, Tom. You're doing it exactly correctly. The extra time to mature the process and parts is really showing - it looks like you're producing really quality stuff now.
MattN is offline Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:59 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattN View Post
... The ZoneV2 sounds like a nice refinement of the Edge, and I'd love to try it. ...
-matt
I just want to make this very clear...

Sorry, the Zone-V2 is not a refinement of the Edge or derived from the Edge. It is not even really a refinement of the original Zone series. It is its own thing. But, the design requirements were very similar to the requirements for the original Zone series, with the addition of handling very bad air better. So, it got called a Zone, by popular request. The series was developed independently of the others. There are a couple of threads leading up to it if one wants to go through all of that stuff. But in any event, don't expect a Zone-V2 to fly like a Zone or like an Edge. It shouldn't, and from my extremely limited stick time on the planes of others, it doesn't (I don't have a V2 of my own; still flying my old original bagged Edge).

In the future, there probably will be an Edge-V2. But don't hold your breath. I got burned out on this sort of work and haven't even looked at it in months. Perhaps this winter or next year. If I do anything to the Edge, it will be focused on boosting launch height and perhaps very slightly taming down the air reading. When I develop a series it ends up occupying nearly all my available time for several months. As the saying goes, I have other fish to fry right now.

I started the process of developing foils a few years back because I did not consider the available foils to be the best match to the potential tactics for DLG. So I developed series of airfoils that facilitated ranging and downwind return, that didn't need high ballast levels to do it (so that such DLGs can be thrown well by the average pilot).

The Zone was quite extreme when it came out. Since that time, there have been Steigs, Stobels, FW5flo, etc, that follow the Concept that being able to range and return is a good thing. There is no longer such a great lack that needs filling. Therefore, the need for newer series is not as great. I do have plans for the Edge-V2, and for two more unrelated series. But all of that is for another time and other threads.

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:46 PM
King Of The Night
USA, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jul 2006
261 Posts
One word ... "WOW" !

And four more words ... "Mommy I want one"
rexnuktia is offline Find More Posts by rexnuktia
Old Aug 24, 2011, 06:27 AM
Joined Jun 2011
84 Posts
Fr3aK

Tom is doing a awsome job on these DLG's I seen the fuse work and the wing in the molds and he is doing a great job on these. The work time and effort he has put into this plane is incredible. I have flown a prototype and can't wait until production. The pictures don't do justice.
thermal guy is offline Find More Posts by thermal guy
Old Aug 24, 2011, 06:42 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,484 Posts
Very nice ! Subscribed. . . And if a list starts. I'm in ?
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Old Aug 29, 2011, 02:03 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,211 Posts
Tom,

Any closeup pictures available of your fuse and gear layout? Interested in the keel, servo placement and what you are doing for ballast.

Thanks, Rick
rdjay is offline Find More Posts by rdjay